Players Who Are Less Than Their Resumes?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I will go with Mike Gartner great numbers for career . But all those goals feel like archeological relics, buried beneath layers of earth that nobody wants to bother to explore.
Gartner was as reliable as they come, definitely earned his numbers. 32 goals even at 37 playing for the Coyotes when the DPE was slowly ascending.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Very opposite of the premise of this thread. The absolute garbage pail kids that he was saddled with on the Island...he was or should have been in the Hart race a couple years playing with a Quad-A player and unsigned 9th round net-front hydrant Matt Moulson...
Fair the islanders were trash but what about once he got to Toronto. He was also suppose to be a generational talent which he was no where close to unless im wrong and he wasnt but the point was he didnt not live up to the hype. Also does he suck at skating? everybody says he does.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
He has the benefit of playing with the #1C.

Instead of keeping him, they traded him and put Alfie with Spezza. He was deemed expendable at the time.

Alfredsson always made the players on his line better so he was moved around and played with guys like Todd White and Bryan Smolinski.

He’s in the HHoF because he was the third wheel in some Cup wins.

That’s the part of the resume that mattered in the end.

Sure, but he was still the guy for those Ottawa teams when Alfie showed he couldn't be at that time

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Fair the islanders were trash but what about once he got to Toronto. He was also suppose to be a generational talent which he was no where close to unless im wrong and he wasnt but the point was he didnt not live up to the hype. Also does he suck at skating? everybody says he does.
That more being so mature at 16 and overhyped argument than its resume with the Leaf being more than what Tavares was as a player.

Tavares as a Leaf:
Won nothing
No all star team,
no top ten anything in vote
1 top 3 in goals, no top 10 in points.
Only vote he got since 2019 is for the byng.

Is Leafs resume is quite empty after his first season with them.

Is big career bright points right now that the 2 Top 3 hart season and good olympics, team Canada in general I think ? WIth the strong junior numbers and draft position.

I feel like he was easily that resume as a player, those were legit hart finalist type of season.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s hard to accumulate a resume as a #2C.

It seems like Malkin’s biggest achievements were when Crosby was injured.

Messier established his resume when Gretzky left and he went on to lead his own teams.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
That more being so mature at 16 and overhyped argument than its resume with the Leaf being more than what Tavares was as a player.

Tavares as a Leaf:
Won nothing
No all star team,
no top ten anything in vote
1 top 3 in goals, no top 10 in points.
Only vote he got since 2019 is for the byng.

Is Leafs resume is quite empty after his first season with them.

Is big career bright points right now that the 2 Top 3 hart season and good olympics, team Canada in general I think ? WIth the strong junior numbers and draft position.

I feel like he was easily that resume as a player, those were legit hart finalist type of season.
Was he over hyped?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
He put together a few point per game seasons as the non-focal point of the offense. Those things aren't really on a resume...he just went along doing his thing.

And no, people use the word "generational" like it means something that it isn't. Tavares was generational, and a fair chunk of scouts had Hedman 1st overall...not everyone is generational, despite media hype and hype from fans that don't watch these players. Excellent prospect. A 1st overall type prospect. And yeah, like you said, skating concerns. Just how great of a playmaker was he really? Blah blah blah.

He had a really nice career for any player, any 1st overall player even...but I'd really like to petition the board czar here that every time the word "generational" gets submitted in a post, your device sprays you in the face with piping hot gravy haha

Sure...some players are generational. Very, very, very few of them...by definition. Christ, over on the prospects board, I'm being gaslighted into a goal-scoring winger having "generational hockey sense" - whatever that means...

Tavares was an excellent prospect, but Christ on a cracker, guys, give yourself some place to go when something amazing actually happens haha

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
He put together a few point per game seasons as the non-focal point of the offense. Those things aren't really on a resume...he just went along doing his thing.

And no, people use the word "generational" like it means something that it isn't. Tavares was generational, and a fair chunk of scouts had Hedman 1st overall...not everyone is generational, despite media hype and hype from fans that don't watch these players. Excellent prospect. A 1st overall type prospect. And yeah, like you said, skating concerns. Just how great of a playmaker was he really? Blah blah blah.

He had a really nice career for any player, any 1st overall player even...but I'd really like to petition the board czar here that every time the word "generational" gets submitted in a post, your device sprays you in the face with piping hot gravy haha

Sure...some players are generational. Very, very, very few of them...by definition. Christ, over on the prospects board, I'm being gaslighted into a goal-scoring winger having "generational hockey sense" - whatever that means...

Tavares was an excellent prospect, but Christ on a cracker, guys, give yourself some place to go when something amazing actually happens haha
so basically your saying he was hyped to be generational but he is not generational

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
so basically your saying he was hyped to be generational but he is not generational
Right. The media and fans absolutely cannot be trusted with these terms. Remember "it's the Shane Wright draft" from a couple years ago...? Yeah, it was...until like November 3rd. He barely hung on to a top 5 spot for me by the end of the year.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Right. The media and fans absolutely cannot be trusted with these terms. Remember "it's the Shane Wright draft" from a couple years ago...? Yeah, it was...until like November 3rd. He barely hung on to a top 5 spot for me by the end of the year.
Yeah I remember they hyped Shane Wright to be generational

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
there was 2 factor, a bit like how much Daigle got push with the Lindros media complex, Ovechkin-Crosby created a bit of an high expectation of prospect and how mature-developed he was as a 15-16 years old.

Beating Gretzky record with a 72 goals season that lead the league over an much older Patrick Kane has your draft-2 is maybe a generational draft-2 in the chl season, but he did not grow that much from there.

By the time his draft year came, there was a lot of talk about Hedman and even Duchene for who people had number 1, there was no such talk Lemieux-Lindros-Crosby-McDavid years.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
Based off Bedards rookie season he will probably put up better but similar numbers to Patrick Kane and probably have a better but similar career to him as well.

TheBig08

Sep 28, 2024
there was 2 factor, a bit like how much Daigle got push with the Lindros media complex, Ovechkin-Crosby created a bit of an high expectation of prospect and how mature-developed he was as a 15-16 years old.

Beating Gretzky record with a 72 goals season that lead the league over an much older Patrick Kane has your draft-2 is maybe a generational draft-2 in the chl season, but he did not grow that much from there.

By the time his draft year came, there was a lot of talk about Hedman and even Duchene for who people had number 1, there was no such talk Lemieux-Lindros-Crosby-McDavid years.
so your saying based off his record breaking season in the chl people expected him to be on crosby/ovechkin level but after that season he did not get better and people started seeing that he was not as good as he was previously hyped up to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad