Speculation: Players that will be moved cheap due to the exspansion draft.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think the more interesting angle here is who attaches something to a player they want to get rid of.

As a Wings fan I would be willing to attach a second round pick to either Ericsson or Howard for future Considerations just to make sure they take one.

The avg cap hit Vegas is allowed to draft is between 1.46M and 2.43M per player. Ericsson's is 4.25M and Howard's 5.29M. That's a big burden for a 2nd round pick and Vegas won't be able to draft 2 or 3 other better players because they need to draft cheaper ones for compensation.

Besides that goalies are the easiest to get in July and why should Vegas play the garbage of other teams. Vegas would need to play Howard because nobody else would want him.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Leafs

When I look at the Leafs projections for the draft, IMO they will protect just 3 forwards and 5 Dmen.

JVR, Kadri and Brown. Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick, maybe Marincin. They might be trading partners for a team that wants to protect 5 forwards and 3 Dmen like the Isles or Ducks.

If the Isles protect Leddy, Boychuk, and young Poluck, maybe Harmonic would be attractive to another team.

My prediction that either Matt Martin or Bibeau are taken from the Leafs in the expansion. They are two of few players that have term on their contacts .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
When I look at the Leafs projections for the draft, IMO they will protect just 3 forwards and 5 Dmen.

JVR, Kadri and Brown. Rielly, Gardiner, Carrick, maybe Marincin. They might be trading partners for a team that wants to protect 5 forwards and 3 Dmen like the Isles or Ducks.

If the Isles protect Leddy, Boychuk, and young Poluck, maybe Harmonic would be attractive to another team.

My prediction that either Matt Martin or Bibeau are taken from the Leafs in the expansion. They are two of few players that have term on their contacts .

You are missing Komarov, when the GM calls him a core piece he's being protected.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012

My prediction that either Matt Martin or Bibeau are taken from the Leafs in the expansion.

Vegas shouldn't take Bibeau because he's RFA and Vegas can only take 10 RFA. It could be different if he signs an extension before the draft.

Vegas might trade half of the players they will draft because there isn't enough room for all. So they might be looking for guys who have trade value. Don't think Martin will have much value. He just signed the highest offer as a UFA.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I didn't miss Komarov. Just don't think he will be attractive to Vegas with only one year left on his contract.

I meant you don't have him being protected, he will be protected when the GM says you are a core player and that he turned down several "hockey trades" at the last deadline you know he's being protected

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If a team moves a player for cheap, they still lose another player. It would be the height of foolishness for a team to subtract 2 players instead of just one.

Goalies and guys with NTC, if willing to waive, are the only ones that should go for cheap.

I wonder if Vegas makes any back room type deals. "Hey buddy, we won't take player a if you trade us player b for a late pick. We'll take player x or y instead."

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Goalies and guys with NTC, if willing to waive, are the only ones that should go for cheap.

I wonder if Vegas makes any back room type deals. "Hey buddy, we won't take player a if you trade us player b for a late pick. We'll take player x or y instead."

That's not a backroom deal.

It happened in almost every expansion draft.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

Really only one goalie fits, and guys with NMCs won't waive. If you think about it, Fleurry shouldn't waive if he wants to maximize his earnings, he should sit tight and be bought out. He'd easily clear the 1/3rd of salary on his current deal Pittsburgh would save on his new contract next summer and it would help out the cap of wherever he signs compared to even a trade of him for nothing. And players who make enough to have NMC protection that would be traded have an easy choice. Callahan can stay in Tampa on a winning team and get paid, or he can waive for a team that can afford to add his hit (mostly bad teams) or Vegas. If your team wants to be rid of a player's NMC, almost every other team doesn't want him either.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Avs

Protected:

F:

MacKinnon
Duchene
Landeskog
Soderberg (NTC)

D:

Barrie
Johnson (NTC)
Zadorov
Beuchemin (NTC, Ugh, regret).

G:
Varlamov

Inherantly Protected:

Rantanen
Bigras

Exposed:
Pickard
Grigorenko
Colborne
Comeau
Gelinas
McLeod
Wiercioch

I guess we might lose Grigorenko, but he doesn't have much of a price tag as is, so I can't see the Avs worrying about it.

Pickard could get picked as we don't really have much else worth taking.

I expect zero expansion draft related trades from the Avs.

We also are not in a position to take on and protect a player either.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Avs

Protected:

F:

MacKinnon
Duchene
Landeskog
Soderberg (NTC)

D:

Barrie
Johnson (NTC)
Zadorov
Beuchemin (NTC, Ugh, regret).

G:
Varlamov

Inherantly Protected:

Rantanen
Bigras

Exposed:
Pickard
Grigorenko
Colborne
Comeau
Gelinas
McLeod
Wiercioch

I guess we might lose Grigorenko, but he doesn't have much of a price tag as is, so I can't see the Avs worrying about it.

Pickard could get picked as we don't really have much else worth taking.

I expect zero expansion draft related trades from the Avs.

We also are not in a position to take on and protect a player either.

Buyout period opens right after the Cup Final. I haven't heard anything about buyouts being prohibited before the expansion draft. This is important for Colorado because it will provide them with leverage to work with when it comes to Beauchemin's NMC. They can approach him with the option of waiving or being bought out. Beauchemin was good last year for Colorado and played a bunch of minutes, but a year can have a big effect on player's his age, and he'll be 37 years old at the time of the expansion draft. Vegas probably doesn't take him.

Assuming Colorado doesn't take on any extra players in a trade, if they go 7-3, I see it working out like this.

F: Duchene, Soderberg, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Comeau, Grigorenko, Colborne
D: Johnson, Barrie, Zadorov.

That leaves them with absolutely nothing appealing unexposed at forward or defense. Worst of all for Vegas, a huge chunk of Colorado's pieces they might think of taking (Wiercioch, Gelinas, Siemens, Mitchell) are UFAs. Aside from maybe Mitchell if Vegas really likes him as a 3C, none of those players are worth wasting one of their 10 FA spots on.

Very good chance they take whichever goalie Colorado doesn't protect. Colorado is in a prime position to trade a goalie because if they go 7-3 there will be a massive difference in value between Pickard or Varlamov and the 2nd most valuable player they could possibly lose.

I'll be very surprised if one of them doesn't get moved after the season (or at the deadline if COL is out) in anticipation of the expansion draft.

If COL trades Pickard for a forward or a defenseman (and then has to protect 4-4) I see Vegas taking Colborne or Comeau. They'd take Colborne over Grigorenko because Grig will be an RFA where as Colborne will have 1 year left on his deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad