Players that should have Won the Conn Smythe?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Keith could have won all 3 years as far as I'm concerned but 2015 was an all-time great playoff run by a d-man, thats what it took for him to win it. I agree with Crawford in 2013, I would have been fine with him winning it over Kane but 2010 was all Toews. You just had that feeling he was pushing the team to win it all and it was his mission to make it happen. Hard to explain.

It's hard to explain because you are just generalizing like a lot of Toews lovers do.

How was 2010 all Toews. Kane had 3 more goals than Toews and 1 less point. More than half of Toews points came on the pp. Toews wasn't dominating 5 on 5. That's why he was a minus player. Also Sharp and Buff with 11 goals each. Also all the big mins Keith played

You make it sound like Toews carries the Hawks on his back. Not 1 player carries the Hawks teams on there back because the Hawks are stacked from top to bottom.

Toews lovers like you are one of the reason why he is overrates

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How about Lafleur in '78? Led the playoffs in goals, tied Larry Robinson for most points.

He had won the year before (and this was shortly after Parent's double), so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for him to be in the B2B Conn Smythe pantheon.

And speaking of Parent, if you look at the stats, I could argue Rick MacLeish might have had a case to win one of those Conn Smythes:

1974- led playoffs in goals and points (13 goals, 22 points) and of course he had the Cup clincher in the 1-0 game 6

1975- led playoffs in points (20), 2nd in goals (11, one behind- ironically- Lafleur)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
How about Lafleur in '78? Led the playoffs in goals, tied Larry Robinson for most points.

He had won the year before (and this was shortly after Parent's double), so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for him to be in the B2B Conn Smythe pantheon.

And speaking of Parent, if you look at the stats, I could argue Rick MacLeish might have had a case to win one of those Conn Smythes:

1974- led playoffs in goals and points (13 goals, 22 points) and of course he had the Cup clincher in the 1-0 game 6

1975- led playoffs in points (20), 2nd in goals (11, one behind- ironically- Lafleur)

It's difficult to justify selecting an elite one dimensional forward over an elite two way defenceman when they tie in points. Even more difficult given that Robinson outscored Lafleur in the finals.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
The people on cbc said when they are voting for the Smythe 50% is the finals and other 50% first 3 rounds. If that is case Toews shouldn't of won in 2010. Had horrible finals 3 A and -5

Also the voting is done in the 2nd intermission or early 3rd period. Which means the voters voted before Kane goal

One of the voters is Swedish Per Bjurman. He runs a blogg on the biggest newspaper in Sweden and have his base in New York but tries to follow swedes around the league.

He is so biased its chocking and he basically decided Crosby had already won Conn Smythe through 2-2,5 rounds. Note that after 2-3 rounds there was no unanimous favorite, and if it was it was Malkin (or Karlsson, Rinne, Getzlaf etc from teams that eventually got eliminated).

What I mean by this post is three things. 1. The voting is subjective and doesn't follow any formula. 2. Any swede in the discussion would automatically get a first place vote if Bjurman is voting. The same form of bias is probably true for any other reporters with a vote. 3. Bjurman is an assclown and I dislike him more than he dislikes Malkin and other top Russians. He even wrote a disclaimer when I called him out, but followed it with trashing Malkin.

He said in his season summary that "Drouin and Hedman were the only bright spot in Tampa this year", thats how much he hates Russians.

One more time: Per Bjurman is an asslcown.

Rant over.

cole von cole

Mar 1, 2016
Potvin in 1981
Brodeur in 1995
Pronger in 2006
Pronger in 2007
Briere in 2010
Crawford in 2013
Doughty in 2014
Kessel in 2016

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
1984: Wayne Gretzky
2003: Scott Stevens
2004: Martin St.Louis
2016: Phil Kessel

Dude Stevens didn't even have any points in 03 niedermayer, or langenbrunner, would've won it skater wise cuz they were in the top five in voting

Last edited:

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
1984: Wayne Gretzky
2003: Scott Stevens
2004: Martin St.Louis
2016: Phil Kessel
I do agree with you Though on 84 it should've hands down been Gretzky. 87 I'm gonna say the snub there was Glenn Anderson. kessel should've won it last year but the voters have some love affair for Crosby like they did for Scotty niedermayer. St. Louis is a hard one cuz yeah he had a good playoff but Richards led in game winners that whole playoff broke the record with 7. 1990 no disrespect to billy randford but the snub that year was Craig Simpson. Had Calgary won the cup in 04 other than iginla I would've picked Craig Conroy. 17 points second on that flames team in scoring.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Broten should be on the hall imo best US born player to never reach 1000 points. And yes 1995 could be argued between richer, broten, and brodeur.

Not really. There were only two real options in 1995: Scott Stevens and Claude Lemieux.

Back to the topic of the thread, Scott Stevens in 1995 should have won. Though Claude Lemieux was easily the most valuable forward.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Dude Stevens didn't even have any points in 03 niedermayer, or langenbrunner, would've won it skater wise cuz they were in the top five in voting

Wait, is Conn Smythe voting from 2003 available?

IMO, Stevens was the 3rd most important Devil in 2003 behind Niedermayer and Brodeur.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
One of the voters is Swedish Per Bjurman. He runs a blogg on the biggest newspaper in Sweden and have his base in New York but tries to follow swedes around the league.

He is so biased its chocking and he basically decided Crosby had already won Conn Smythe through 2-2,5 rounds. Note that after 2-3 rounds there was no unanimous favorite, and if it was it was Malkin (or Karlsson, Rinne, Getzlaf etc from teams that eventually got eliminated).

What I mean by this post is three things. 1. The voting is subjective and doesn't follow any formula. 2. Any swede in the discussion would automatically get a first place vote if Bjurman is voting. The same form of bias is probably true for any other reporters with a vote. 3. Bjurman is an assclown and I dislike him more than he dislikes Malkin and other top Russians. He even wrote a disclaimer when I called him out, but followed it with trashing Malkin.

He said in his season summary that "Drouin and Hedman were the only bright spot in Tampa this year", thats how much he hates Russians.

One more time: Per Bjurman is an asslcown.

Rant over.
I find it strangely comforting to know that Sweden has media assclowns also.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Wait, is Conn Smythe voting from 2003 available?

IMO, Stevens was the 3rd most important Devil in 2003 behind Niedermayer and Brodeur.

I think it's hidden but niedermayer and langenbrunner were the best Devils skaters brodeur was the second best goalie in the playoffs gigeure had a helluva run that year one of the best by an underdog. No disrespect to your Devils though. Stevens is iffy in 95 what did he have like 10 points Broten had 19 if I'm not mistaken, brodeur you could even make an arguement for richer had 20 points I think. Lemieux had 16 13 goals three assists. I wanna say richer had 8 goals and 12 assists in the 95 playoffs Broten had I think 7 goals 2 were game winners, and he had 12 assists cuz he was only one point behind richer.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I think it's hidden but niedermayer and langenbrunner were the best Devils skaters brodeur was the second best goalie in the playoffs gigeure had a helluva run that year one of the best by an underdog. No disrespect to your Devils though. Stevens is iffy in 95 what did he have like 10 points Broten had 19 if I'm not mistaken, brodeur you could even make an arguement for richer had 20 points I think. Lemieux had 16 13 goals three assists. I wanna say richer had 8 goals and 12 assists in the 95 playoffs Broten had I think 7 goals 2 were game winners, and he had 12 assists cuz he was only one point behind richer.

The Conn Smythe is based off more than a cursory look at box scores.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Not really. There were only two real options in 1995: Scott Stevens and Claude Lemieux.

Back to the topic of the thread, Scott Stevens in 1995 should have won. Though Claude Lemieux was easily the most valuable forward.
Scott Stevens only had 8 points in 95 no way he was getting it. 1 goal and 7 assists. That's it.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
Scott Stevens only had 8 points in 95 no way he was getting it. 1 goal and 7 assists. That's it.

That's a really strange argument against a defenseman winning the Conn Smythe. Stevens was easily in the running for the Conn Smythe that year and I personally would have picked him over Lemieux. As TheDevilMadeMe said above:

The Conn Smythe is based off more than a cursory look at box scores.

I know this is an older thread and this has been mentioned earlier, but Giguere in '03 was absolutely appropriate. The only argument you can make for Niedermayer or Brodeur is that Giguere was only OK in the Final, but he took a team that had no business getting out of the first round to within one game of winning it all. Now I had argued before game seven that if the Devils had won in a shutout, giving Brodeur the playoff shutout record, that he should have won it but I have since revised my opinion. Most can't even agree on whether the best Devil that year was Niedermayer or Brodeur while with Giguere there was never any question. That's why Giguere is the guy for me that year.

I'll never understand how Brind'Amour didn't win it in '06. It seemed like such an obvious pick. Sometimes I think the voters overthink the Conn Smythe and try to be too clever.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
81 - Denis Potvin (Goring)......just going by the consensus around here but a 25pt performance by a rock defenseman like Potvin vs a 20pt performance by Goring is a no brainer

87 - Mark Messier (Hextall)
90 - Craig Simpson (Ranford)
97 - Sergei Fedorov (Vernon)....these 3 were really good to excellent performances with caveats. Great teams fluffing goalies into great positions. For me a player that battles in the trenches for 4 series beats a goalie that doesn't outright stand above all challengers.

01 - Joe Sakic (Roy)...didn't get this one at all. Sakic carried the Avs without Forsberg and Roy was sporadic. No Brainer.

03 - Martin Brodeur (Giguere)..... 7 shut-outs, save percentage at .934...he took the challenge head on in the finals and won. His 3 shut out wins in the final including the series clincher in game 7 should have been enough. Was a kick in the nuts to Marty.

06 - Rod Brind'Amour (Ward).....Brind'Amour did it all PK,PP, faceoffs, key goals, match up center....this one wasn't really close. Staal would be a way better argument.

07 - Chris Pronger (Niedermayer)...without the suspensions this one wasn't close. Pronger for 2 years in the playoffs was dominant. I get the decision though and probably would argue this one the least.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
01 - Joe Sakic (Roy)...didn't get this one at all. Sakic carried the Avs without Forsberg and Roy was sporadic. No Brainer.

Sporadic? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I remember him being a wall for the rest of the playoffs after struggling against Vancouver.

03 - Martin Brodeur (Giguere)..... 7 shut-outs, save percentage at .934...he took the challenge head on in the finals and won. His 3 shut out wins in the final including the series clincher in game 7 should have been enough. Was a kick in the nuts to Marty.

Did he have to make a difficult save on home ice that entire Finals series?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
81 - Denis Potvin (Goring)......just going by the consensus around here but a 25pt performance by a rock defenseman like Potvin vs a 20pt performance by Goring is a no brainer

87 - Mark Messier (Hextall)
90 - Craig Simpson (Ranford)
97 - Sergei Fedorov (Vernon)....these 3 were really good to excellent performances with caveats. Great teams fluffing goalies into great positions. For me a player that battles in the trenches for 4 series beats a goalie that doesn't outright stand above all challengers.

06 - Rod Brind'Amour (Ward).....Brind'Amour did it all PK,PP, faceoffs, key goals, match up center....this one wasn't really close. Staal would be a way better argument.

07 - Chris Pronger (Niedermayer)...without the suspensions this one wasn't close. Pronger for 2 years in the playoffs was dominant. I get the decision though and probably would argue this one the least.

Unless of course you watched the playoffs with an open "brain". Goring was a beast that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad