Players that should have Won the Conn Smythe?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Kane in 2010

Crawford in 2013

Keith in 2015

The CS award is a bit tricky you obviously have quite a few biased reporters (see 2016 as great example) and it is really moment based for example Kane scored his second career playoff hattrick against the Kings to finish them off but did have a few stinkers against the Wings that year but because he is a winger it is much less noticeable.

Crawford on the other hand is the goalie so much focus is on him so when he let in those 5 goals in one game that was it along with Kane also doing his Kane thing in the final setting up another OT winner and being the Hawks only offense in game 5.

2010 is a different story all together there was certainly an agenda there with the Toews win, not saying he was bad at all... he was amazing against the Canucks but then outside of that nothing outstanding and then we all know against the Flyers he was simply well bad. It seemed like he just hung onto the award by a thread if the voting for the award was actually voted on at the end of the game I cannot see how Kane doesn't win the award by doing his Kane thing again.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Brind'amour should have won it in 06. Ward was good, but a healthy Gerber probably would've been just as good or better. I was shocked when they gave it to Ward, I think a lot of people were because Brind'amour was so much the obvious choice.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Brind'amour should have won it in 06. Ward was good, but a healthy Gerber probably would've been just as good or better. I was shocked when they gave it to Ward, I think a lot of people were because Brind'amour was so much the obvious choice.

You know who else didn't get a lot of credit for the smythe In 06 was Cory stillman I believe he was second in goals on that Caroline team I wanna say he had 10 goals 12 assists 22 points. He had 2 GWG 3 power play goals and 2 on the PK if I'm not mistaken. But other than brindy he wad second among shut down forwards in ice time.

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
Kessel in 2016

The 4 players on the pens I would've picked would've been kessel, and letang tied for 1st, Murray second. And bonino third. Bonino had best shutdown forward in that playoff other than Joel ward. Crosby had 3 assists in the finals and was a minus 2 throughout the playoffs. Bonino
Had 4 goals 14 assists 18 points. He would've been not a bad choice..

Last edited:

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
The 3 players on the avs in 01 I would've picked before Roy, would be, Joe Sakic 13 goals 13 assists 3 game winners tangauy, 6 goals, 2 game winners 15 assists 21 points, and my third would be Robby Blake 5 goals 14 assists 19 points.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
pronger in '07

but there was no way they were going to give it to him after he was suspended twice during the playoffs. even pahlsson or getzlaf had a better case than niedermayer but nieds was the safe choice

Giotrapani91

Oct 21, 2015
No disrespect to Roy's 2001 performance but that should've went to either joe sakic, or Robby Blake to be in the top four in scoring and sakic mind you led the playoffs in scoring so he was as deserving as Roy. I'm not a crosby fan he had a good playoff this year. I know guentzel could be argued for the mvp. But 2016 Cohn smythe should've came down to kessel, or letang.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
The 4 players on the pens I would've picked would've been kessel, and letang tied for 1st, Murray second. And bonino third. Bonino had best shutdown forward in that playoff other than Joel ward. Crosby had 3 assists in the finals and was a minus 2 throughout the playoffs. Bonino
Had 4 goals 14 assists 18 points. He would've been not a bad choice..

Sami Pahlsson not winning in 2007 shows that a shutdown forward will never win it

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Kane in 2010

Crawford in 2013

Keith in 2015

The CS award is a bit tricky you obviously have quite a few biased reporters (see 2016 as great example) and it is really moment based for example Kane scored his second career playoff hattrick against the Kings to finish them off but did have a few stinkers against the Wings that year but because he is a winger it is much less noticeable.

Crawford on the other hand is the goalie so much focus is on him so when he let in those 5 goals in one game that was it along with Kane also doing his Kane thing in the final setting up another OT winner and being the Hawks only offense in game 5.

2010 is a different story all together there was certainly an agenda there with the Toews win, not saying he was bad at all... he was amazing against the Canucks but then outside of that nothing outstanding and then we all know against the Flyers he was simply well bad. It seemed like he just hung onto the award by a thread if the voting for the award was actually voted on at the end of the game I cannot see how Kane doesn't win the award by doing his Kane thing again.

Keith could have won all 3 years as far as I'm concerned but 2015 was an all-time great playoff run by a d-man, thats what it took for him to win it. I agree with Crawford in 2013, I would have been fine with him winning it over Kane but 2010 was all Toews. You just had that feeling he was pushing the team to win it all and it was his mission to make it happen. Hard to explain.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
anybody that thinks kessel should've won over crosby clearly didn't watch the games

they just looked at stat sheets where kessel had 4 more points

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
2006 was Brind'Amour's Conn Smythe; it's a joke he didn't win. 12 goals, a very strong two-way presence, and tremendous leadership. That might have been the easiest choice of the last few years and the voters blew it completely.

Giguere was pretty much a no-brainer for 2003. While the final is the most important round, it's not the only round. Giguere was simply invincible in the first three rounds, and merely good in the final. A 1.62 GAA and .945 save %, he must have been the first star in half of Anaheim's wins that year. New Jersey just methodically dispatched of their opponents that year, nobody managed to stand out enough to take the Smythe from Giguere.

I thought the series against Detroit was one of the finest goaltending performances I ever saw. A .965% against a team chock full of HoFrs. Just take a look who played defense for the Ducks. Carney and Havelid were getting the most time.

Edit: just realized that this thread goes way back.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I thought the series against Detroit was one of the finest goaltending performances I ever saw. A .965% against a team chock full of HoFrs. Just take a look who played defense for the Ducks. Carney and Havelid were getting the most time.

Edit: just realized that this thread goes way back.

His positioning was great, but the size of his goalie equipment was just a joke. There was something wrong with those Wings teams, as they repeated this effort against Calgary the following year in the second round and Edmonton two years later in the first round. They had trouble with tight checking teams that weren't loaded with talent and had goalies that got hot at the right time.

I don't disagree with Giguere getting the Smythe, though. He had a better playoff than Brodeur, and had to face more challenging competition, with less than stellar teammates in front of him. The only exception would be the Minnesota Wild, who were offensively inept with their style of play.

Last edited:

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
anybody that thinks kessel should've won over crosby clearly didn't watch the games

they just looked at stat sheets where kessel had 4 more points

I watched almost every single Penguins game in those playoffs and my pick was Kessel.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
His positioning was great, but the size of his goalie equipment was just a joke. There was something wrong with those Wings teams, as they repeated this effort against Calgary the following year in the second round and Edmonton two years later in the first round. They had trouble with tight checking teams that weren't loaded with talent and had goalies that got hot at the right time.

I don't disagree with Giguere getting the Smythe, though. He had a better playoff than Brodeur, and had to face more challenging competition, with less than stellar teammates in front of him. The only exception would be the Minnesota Wild, who were offensively inept with their style of play.

Agreed. That was the series were the Ducks were actually the favourite, even though Gaborik had a nice run.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Lundqvist 2014, I will forever be livid about it.

huh? This wasn't like 1987 and 2003 where he was totally carrying the team. Rangers lost in game 5.

Lundqvist was very good but you sure as hell aren't getting the Smythe giving up 15 goals in 5 games in the finals and losing

If they win then 50/50. Somebody like McDonagh would've made a strong case for it as well.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Keith could have won all 3 years as far as I'm concerned but 2015 was an all-time great playoff run by a d-man, thats what it took for him to win it. I agree with Crawford in 2013, I would have been fine with him winning it over Kane but 2010 was all Toews. You just had that feeling he was pushing the team to win it all and it was his mission to make it happen. Hard to explain.

Nonsense and it is talk like that causes the hate Toews gets on this site, he was good don't get me wrong but 2010 was a total team effort and Toews really struggled down the stretch...

Had the award been voted on at the actually end of the playoffs and not with a period to go or so I don't see how you don't give it to Kane based on the clutch factor as Toews pretty much vanished for an entire series.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

The people on cbc said when they are voting for the Smythe 50% is the finals and other 50% first 3 rounds. If that is case Toews shouldn't of won in 2010. Had horrible finals 3 A and -5

Also the voting is done in the 2nd intermission or early 3rd period. Which means the voters voted before Kane goal

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00