Players taking a financial hit because they refused a great offer.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The point is he probably hasn't taken a financial hit since leaving Ottawa since he's playing meaningful games for contending teams which will lead him to better contracts while the sens waste away in the bottom 10 year after year.
It's been 4 years, dude.

He's 28 making $3M and statistically was less productive this season than when he was on the sens. In the past year he's been traded twice for scraps.

Are you suggesting this is year 4 of some big brain plan to make bank?

I know you're a Sens fan, so wallowing is in your DNA. But can you at least wallow on topic?

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Marian Hossa gave up a long-term deal worth between 70-80 million in 2008 for 9 million to stay in Detroit one year 7.5 million in the summer of 2008. Pretty risky, and according to career earnings, he left money on the table HOWEVER he got his cups and didn't have to spend years in Edmonton and ultimately became a better player, so for his goal, his gamble worked.

Reactions: DaveG

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Can’t recall the exact details but I remember there was some marginal player/4th liner who was offered a somewhat generous contract in the offseason after playing well when called up.

He instead took the team to arbitration over a relatively trivial amount and ended up never playing in the NHL again. Anyone remember who I’m talking about?

Tim Kennedy in Buffalo?
That was deliberate. Hall wanted to play on a contender for a Cup. That contract earned high salary and guaranteed the trade deadline trade.

I’m almost certain it wasn’t, didn’t he fire his agent over the whole debacle? He wanted to go directly to a contender, I believe, but basically misjudged his value and available cap space. No one saved $6 mil or whatever until Hall made his decision, and suddenly Buffalo was pretty much the only team left offering fair value. Then he played like shit, contributed to a losing legacy, and now is elsewhere.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Anson Carter.

Little different though.

This was when the 3rd on the Sedin's line was rotating. He came in and had a career resurgence with the Twins after being bounced around.

Instead of resigning with the Canucks he took a little more money to go to CAR or CBJ and was outta the league after that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad