Players taking a financial hit because they refused a great offer.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think Sergei Fedorov was hurting for money after he signed that offer sheet with Carolina, but I think he turned down 4/5 years at 10 mil AAV with Detroit and ended up settling for 5 years, 40 million with Anaheim in 2003.

But his agent did negotiate that he'd get 10 mil that first year and the only six mil in year two which got wiped out anyways because of the lockout.

Anaheim had the money since they opted not to give Paul Kariya a 10 mil QO. I think they were trying to sign Kariya at a smaller salary but I don't think I ever saw any details. Kariya memorably took a cheap one year, 1.2 mil deal with Colorado instead; Back in that CBA there was a provision where a 10 year pro making below the league average salary (~1.8 mil IIRC) could become UFA without having to be over 31 years old. So Kariya thought he might be able to cash in the summer of 2004 but he/his agent maybe didn't figure teams were gearing up for the lockout and not many big ticket contracts were signed.

But like Fedorov, Kariya had made plenty of cash up to that point.
Isn’t it insane that top end NHL contracts are just now catching up to and surpassing the high end UFA contracts signed 20-25 years ago? Crazy. Bobby freaking Holik got 5x9 in ’02-03.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Isn’t it insane that top end NHL contracts are just now catching up to and surpassing the high end UFA contracts signed 20-25 years ago? Crazy. Bobby freaking Holik got 5x9 in ’02-03.

I was tempted to mention in this thread that the Devils made a last minute 5x8 offer to retain Holik. Holik was pissed at the team from the previous summer's arbitration hearing where they downplayed his contributions. As an adult now, I can better understand how Holik would be annoyed that they waited until he had one foot out the door before making their best offer.

Even as somebody who liked Holik, I remember thinking that his next contract would be in the high 5 or low 6 mil AAV. Keith Primeau (10 months younger and similar-ish player) was making 5 mil. Approaching free agency, suddenly reporters were saying Holik's market would be 7+ and I was shocked. Then on July 1st, rumors were that he'd be getting 8+ and then finally he signed for 9. Devils definitely dodged a bullet with that one, although I wonder if they'd still win the 2003 Cup with Holik and we could have definitely used him in 2003-04 before probably being a salary cap casualty in 2005.

This behind the scenes article with Holik's agent (former Vancouver GM Mike Gillis) remains an interesting read to this day.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Jared Cowen was offered an deal worth 28M over 8YRs (3.5M per) in 2013.

He chose to bet on himself and took a shorter deal worth 12.4M over 4YRs (3.1M per).

He ended up getting a bad injury and eventually was bought out by the Leafs before the last year of his deal at 1/3 due to his age.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Famously Orr didn't re-sign with Boston in 1976, but of course he didn't know that an 18% ownership stake in the Bruins was part of the deal. His 3 million dollar deal (over five years) was still huge for the time though.

Reactions: Voight

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Famously Orr didn't re-sign with Boston in 1976, but of course he didn't know that an 18% ownership stake in the Bruins was part of the deal. His 3 million dollar deal (over five years) was still huge for the time though.

I always kinda wonder how those owner deals work is it sort of a wink wink nudge thing that their expenses covered in a case where the team undergoes financial hardship

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Can’t recall the exact details but I remember there was some marginal player/4th liner who was offered a somewhat generous contract in the offseason after playing well when called up.

He instead took the team to arbitration over a relatively trivial amount and ended up never playing in the NHL again. Anyone remember who I’m talking about?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Didn’t Ryan Dzingel mess up in Ottawa?

I forget the exact details, but Dzingle's wife needed some sort of medical treatment and her doctors were in the USA. I believe she eventually got better, which led him to coming back to Ottawa, but by then - the money train had left the building.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens offered anthony duclair a decent deal a couple years back but he decided to represent himself and ended up signing for peanuts somehwere else. Badly misjudged the market for his services.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Few things popped into my head:

1. One of the dumbest financial decisions ever.

2. Why was he even offered that in the first place? He appeared to be just a guy. Not some great player.

Schroeder was indeed offered that deal, he was widely panned when he turned it down.

Mid NBA players get huge contracts now, there's just so much money flying around.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Pretty sure Carolina offered Tarasenko a 4 year deal but he thought he was better than that after leaving STL. Now he’s bouncing around teams on a 1 year deal

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Not NHL but this one is so f***ing bad it just has to be mentioned

Dennis Schroder turned down a 4 year 84 million dollar deal from the Lakers, he only got 5.6m on a 1 year deal after that and then returned to the Lakers at 2.9m

That has got to be the absolute worst of all time
Nerlens Noel did a similar thing a few years back when he turned down 4 years 72 million from the Mavs.

It was so bad he tried to sue his agent Klutch Sports a couple years later for breach of fiduciary duties. And somehow the outcome of that lawsuit was he had to pay more money to Klutch that he neglected to pay for his most recent contract. Just a generational bag fumbler

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Sens offered anthony duclair a decent deal a couple years back but he decided to represent himself and ended up signing for peanuts somehwere else. Badly misjudged the market for his services.
He did pretty well in Florida and went to the finals while Ottawa continued to flounder and is now nearly ppg in Tampa Bay.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
John Tavares turned down an 8x13M from the Sharks
It was 7x13M, but that situation was a bit different, because he had that offer along with the Leaf and Islanders offers, and chose Toronto. It's not like he said no to $13M and then had to settle for $11M. He chose to go for playoff success instead of chasing the money. :sarcasm:

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Pretty sure Carolina offered Tarasenko a 4 year deal but he thought he was better than that after leaving STL. Now he’s bouncing around teams on a 1 year deal
Assuming his health holds up for the remainder of the playoffs, he will likely still do well for himself this offseason.

Made $5m this year. 20+ goals and 50+ points in a supporting role. Was traded and landed on a contender, and could win another cup.

Will likely sign for 2-3 years this offseason, in the $9m - $14m range.

Well played, really. Not an advisable strategy, but well played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad