Players taking a financial hit because they refused a great offer.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The two players that come to mind are Elias Lindholm and John Klingberg.

Lindholm reportedly turned down 8 x $9M from the Flames.
Klingberg turned down 8 x $7M from the Stars before signing a 1 year deal with the Ducks at $7M and never got close to that money. (Oddly that turn down might help the Stars win the cup this year.)

What other ones do you remember?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Lindholm will probably get close to that on a 7 or 8 year deal. Klingberg has to be the biggest contract F up in NHL history. What kind of agent tells a near 30 year old player to take a 1 year deal and bet on himself over a guaranteed 8 year contract.
The deal for Klingberg was he wanted $8M x 8 and was offered $7M x 8. Not knowing what the conversations were with his agent you think he didn't get good advice. The 30 for 30 would be amazing. "How I turned $56M into $11M in a few days." Now I am sure he isn't hurting since he made $38M in his career but losing $45M can't feel good.

I am just saying that waiting and his performance might turn $72M in to $49-56M. That is a pretty big loss. I am sure there are others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Desperate GMs have short memories and Lindholm absolutely turned it up in the playoffs.
And lost $20M by doing it. Not trying to debate Lindholm etc. Everyone can agree he won't sign for what he was offered by Calgary. Wondering which other guys played the waiting game, and lost.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Hall and Shero never got to numbers, and I think the same happened with Hall and Arizona. Sounds like another time where the agent didn't do a good job for their client.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Didnt Hall refuse a 8 year 9+ per year deal with NJ???

Despite ongoing dialogue between the New Jersey Devils and Taylor Hall regarding a multi-year contract extension, at some point, it became clear that Hall was not going to re-sign with the team that he became a Hart Trophy winner with, at least not this season.

When the Devils' season went downhill as fast as it did, GM Ray Shero knew there was no chance he could let the contract talks or the speculation linger through the end of the season and into the summer. He didn't even make a real offer to Hall.

To be fair, there were no salient discussions on either side. Hall’s camp, led by his agent, Darren Farris, never presented Shero and managing partners Josh Harris and David Blitzer with any numbers or term.

Article mentioned that the original plan was to see how Hall played post-surgery and then discuss an extension. But the season went off the rails quickly and Hall didn't seem interested in sticking around.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Taylor Hall ending up in Buffalo that one time?

That was bad for everyone.

Not as known, but Sabres reportedly offered Tim Kennedy 950k. He took ‘em to arbitration and was valued at 1 million. Sabres, pissed that he did that, don’t sign the arbitration deal, Kennedy signs in NY for 550k, becomes a suitcase, then is outta the NHL.

Think I got that all correct. Woof, liked Kennedy, but what a misstep. Coulda potentially played in the nhl a lot longer by sticking with a bad Buffalo team. Who knows, but obviously didn’t work for him.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Dreger and Johnston both reported it was klingberg who thought he was worth other comps

NOT his agent who got him the offer on the deal from dallas

He switched over to Newport to Save Face

Klingberg has himself to blame, not his old agent.

Apparently it was Seth Jones was a sticking point as they knew through the grapevine of agents what he was gonna get and though he shouldn't be a $7 AAV when Jones is $9.5AAV

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't think Sergei Fedorov was hurting for money after he signed that offer sheet with Carolina, but I think he turned down 4/5 years at 10 mil AAV with Detroit and ended up settling for 5 years, 40 million with Anaheim in 2003.

But his agent did negotiate that he'd get 10 mil that first year and the only six mil in year two which got wiped out anyways because of the lockout.

Anaheim had the money since they opted not to give Paul Kariya a 10 mil QO. I think they were trying to sign Kariya at a smaller salary but I don't think I ever saw any details. Kariya memorably took a cheap one year, 1.2 mil deal with Colorado instead; Back in that CBA there was a provision where a 10 year pro making below the league average salary (~1.8 mil IIRC) could become UFA without having to be over 31 years old. So Kariya thought he might be able to cash in the summer of 2004 but he/his agent maybe didn't figure teams were gearing up for the lockout and not many big ticket contracts were signed.

But like Fedorov, Kariya had made plenty of cash up to that point.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Klingberg just won't be topped here. Guy lost 45m + Even if he returns on a year or 2 deal cheap deal he's looking at 2-3m per tops.

Lindholm won't get as high an offer as Calgary offered but someone will give him 7-8 x 7 (Thinking Bruins here).

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Not a major hit by any means, but Tatar definitely lost some money on his latest contract. He was coming off a $4.5M cap hit with NJ and had a solid season - 20 goals, 48 points and a team leading +41 (though yet another disappointing playoffs).

Devils offered him a one-year deal, which he turned down thinking he could get a multi-year deal somewhere else. He eventually switched agents and didn't sign until September 12th with Colorado - getting one year at $1.5M. If I had to guess, NJ's offer was probably in the $2.5-$3.5M range. Tatar also had a rough season between Colorado and Seattle, seeing his ice time cut by more than 2 1/2 minutes which will no doubt also hurt his prospects for a deal this summer.

Reactions: Faterson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The deal for Klingberg was he wanted $8M x 8 and was offered $7M x 8. Not knowing what the conversations were with his agent you think he didn't get good advice. The 30 for 30 would be amazing. "How I turned $56M into $11M in a few days." Now I am sure he isn't hurting since he made $38M in his career but losing $45M can't feel good.

I am just saying that waiting and his performance might turn $72M in to $49-56M. That is a pretty big loss. I am sure there are others.
The agent needed to be realistic. To be even, his client would need to get $8 mill per on the open market. to get the $64 mill in total he asked for, the market would have to value Klingberg at over $9 mill.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't think Sergei Fedorov was hurting for money after he signed that offer sheet with Carolina, but I think he turned down 4/5 years at 10 mil AAV with Detroit and ended up settling for 5 years, 40 million with Anaheim in 2003.

But his agent did negotiate that he'd get 10 mil that first year and the only six mil in year two which got wiped out anyways because of the lockout.

Anaheim had the money since they opted not to give Paul Kariya a 10 mil QO. I think they were trying to sign Kariya at a smaller salary but I don't think I ever saw any details. Kariya memorably took a cheap one year, 1.2 mil deal with Colorado instead; Back in that CBA there was a provision where a 10 year pro making below the league average salary (~1.8 mil IIRC) could become UFA without having to be over 31 years old. So Kariya thought he might be able to cash in the summer of 2004 but he/his agent maybe didn't figure teams were gearing up for the lockout and not many big ticket contracts were signed.

But like Fedorov, Kariya had made plenty of cash up to that point.
Fedorov didn't turn down 5yr $50M. He was offered 5 $50M mid-season directly by the owner. At the time he was divorcing Kournikova and in the process of firing his agent because he blamed his agent for getting Kournikova hooked up with Bure. He asked that they wait on contract stuff until the end of the year when he'd be under new representation. He never saw that offer again. It was 4yr $40M and when he asked what happened to the 5th year the Wings responded with a 4yr $32M offer. He ended up signing 5yr $40M with Anaheim because they offered the 5th year he wanted.

Complete hatchet job. Jimmy Devellano's grudge is the reason #91 isn't in the rafters...

Whatever offer from the Wings that Tyler Bertuzzi wasn't willing to entertain would certainly qualify. His stock has done nothing but plummet since...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad