Players From Countries Other Than Your Own You Prefer Over Players From Your Country?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I usually like a player for the player. I don't look up their nationality and say, hey he isn't Canadian so I don't like him. And mostly it is a team thing. If they play for the Oilers, I probably like them.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If you play for the Habs I love you.

If you play for Team Canada on the International stage...I will love you for the tournament only.

I can't believe anyone would cheer against their own country in international competition. Insanity. Would suck if during 2010, you were Canadian, living in Canada at the time, and you weren't cheering for our boys to bring it home. Hahaha. That would really suck.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Gonna be real difficult for me to root for USA vs Bedard going forward. It was different when it was Toews/Keith vs USA because USA had Kaner. So never had a problem rooting against Canada in that scenario. I do like a lot of USA players even if there’s no Blackhawk to root for. Big fan of the Hughes and Tzachuk families and plenty others like Fox.

Damn gonna just be a win win for when those teams meet down the road. Happy no matter the outcome (provided of course that Bedard gets playing time unlike the ridiculous World Championships a few months ago. If that happens again damn right I’ll be rooting for Canada to get their ass kicked just like I ended up doing a few months ago)

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I might cheer for a Calgarian(or area) kid more than others but that's as really far as my tribe goes if they're not wearing the Team Canada jersey.

Have hated or loved a multitude of Canadian players. Same for the Russians, Finns, Swedes, Americans, Czechs, Slovaks, etc. Doesn't make much difference where you're from if you got talent and the attitude I'm partial to. Unless you're Norweigan. Will never cheer for those whale eating bastards.

Reactions: Regal

acor

Jan 13, 2012
I don't know any players from my country, and I don't know what countries majority of hockey players come from... 2 years ago I thought Barkov is russian, and if I wasn't on hfboards, I'd prpbably still think that way, lol...

There's a joke thread about JT Miller on a main board... I watched him from early Rangers days, and liked him, even when most of fans disliked him, but... don't know what country he comes from. Lucky guess would be from Canada (as most comes from Canada), but if he comes from USA, or another country, it wouldn't surprise me as well.

For me, REAL nationality of players is the team they represent.

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
I have a soft spot for the ones who are basically the only nhl star (in their time) from that country.

kopitar, irbe, draisaitl, etc...

There's that hope in the back of my mind of it spurring a hockey revolution in said country.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm American so there are tons of favorite players, both currently and all-time who are not from the States.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Don’t really care which country players are from in any sport. Talented entertaining players is what I like. Non matter why nationality, gender, race etc

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I really like that Finn, Alexander Barkov.

Also appreciate Finnish stars - Leo Komarov, Joonas Donskoi, Miika Kiprusoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad