Friedman: Players don’t want to sign in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Honestly, if you prefer what has happened in the U.S. over the past couple of years to what has happened in Canada, I can only laugh and shake my head

To the issue at hand, less taxes, better weather and most importantly, some anonymity without the ridiculous pressure put upon these guys by rabid fans and media are all reasons why you can’t blame these guys for preferring to play in the states
The taxes and weather have been factors forever, feel free to address Friedman's point which is very obviously based on Canada's limitiations due to covid. It doesn't matter where you or I stand on the issue, it's plainly obvious that players are avoiding Canada because of their restrictions. It takes a special level of ignorance to play the "taxes and weather" card when that has always been the case.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I remember Bryan Marchment in 2005 saying he didn't want to resign in calgary because of the covid restrictions but people thought he was drunk

Reactions: MBH

Instincts

Jan 11, 2012
Not surprised at all. Even 5 years ago I didn't think I would even consider leaving Canada. Today I'm counting money to be able to put them into high dividends shares and go leave a quite live somewhere else. I will let other people enjoy that type of "civilization". US is probably better for athletes considering taxes, climate and restrictions. Social media is same crapshoot everywhere.

Reactions: Devonator

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
Players have become so greedy… When I read that a Canadian player doesn’t wanna play in Canada for no justified reason, it’s hard to respect that… and don’t give me that pressure or taxes BS… you don’t like pressure? Then you’re not in the right career. And regarding taxes, you’re paid MILLIONS to play a game - don’t get greedy. Besides, somethings in life are worth more than money. If I could play for my hometown team even at a discount, I would in a heartbeat.
You say that now…but when you play in Canada and your 3rd Grade teacher threatens to kill your entire family for allowing a breakaway goal, I’m sure you’d sing a different tune!

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
The taxes and weather have been factors forever, feel free to address Friedman's point which is very obviously based on Canada's limitiations due to covid. It doesn't matter where you or I stand on the issue, it's plainly obvious that players are avoiding Canada because of their restrictions. It takes a special level of ignorance to play the "taxes and weather" card when that has always been the case.

I’m not sure how mentioning taxes and weather is a special level of ignorance, lol, when you agree it is an issue and always has been . . Players preferring the U.S. isn’t a new thing and sure, the restrictions could def play a part in it being more widespread this year . In particular the young, single guys would have been harder hit by the restrictions than the family guys . . I could see how they wouldn’t want to go through another year of that . . On top of that, the lack of bonding opportunities that teams usually take part was something a lot of players complained about . . As a Van fan, I can see why it would have been particularly tough on a new player to the team like Schmidt, and can see why it would have soured him on staying here any longer

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Have you heard Philly fans? They threatened Santa Clause!
I was merely replying sarcastically to a guy who felt the need to stress a pretty stereotypical image. Obviously generalizations and stereotypes are never accurate.

The real problem remains though. Overly passionate fanbases do produce enough bad apples to affect a player's decision about where he wants his family to live.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I’ve been to Toronto. Very expensive, extremely overpriced, and cold!

Plus a confusing, yet rabid fan base that hasn’t won shit in over 50 years, but still expects to win the Cup every year and will target your entire family on social media if you make a single mistake!

But how could an NHL player possibly not want to go to Toronto!?? :sarcasm:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was merely replying sarcastically to a guy who felt the need to stress a pretty stereotypical image. Obviously generalizations and stereotypes are never accurate.

The real problem remains though. Overly passionate fanbases do produce enough bad apples to affect a player's decision about where he wants his family to live.
If we are talking family, so do crime rates and gun violence (automobile accidents and gun violence have an equivalent death rate in the USA... scary isn't it?). Then you have this whole covid thing where half the population refuses to get vaccinated because of politics or just plain ignorance.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Sergachev was just recently quoted about him and his girlfriend getting threatened and insulted on social media during the finals by MTL "fans". Beautiful country, polite people everywhere:sarcasm:

Thats the QCs we dont count them:sarcasm:

bov

Nov 13, 2010
The "Taxes and weather, nothing to see here" responses are honestly pitiful. Try addressing the topic at hand, for f***s sake. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver IIRC are usually right up there in terms of desirable locations amongst NHLers in the polls that pop up from time to time. Gee, I wonder what changed?

If you want to back your nation that's all well and good, but to sit there and ignore the elephant in the room...come on now. These players have huge decisions to make and it often involves their families, to say it's simply about things like weather and taxes is just so weak, when those things are always considered anyway. The fact is, Canada has seemingly become less desirable for NHLers.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Their inital reactions were reasonable enough but at this point, it has gone far beyond something rational and constructive. The numbers, based on the extreme measures they have taken for so long, are not overly impressive given the low density of population relative to size and space of the country. It's politics and business, the notion that Canada somehow cares more about safety than everyone else after 2 years of this is asinine.

Canadians are so consumed by North American shock factor garbage that they don't even realize there are plenty of other nations all around the world shaking their heads at their display and doing just fine. That's not even factoring in the ramifications of both physical and mental health deficiencies due to the massive leap in inactivity (plus dips in business, personal nutrition, etc) which will show itself eventually. Most Canadians are in worse health and more stressed than they were prior to the pandemic due to these restrictions and will be further dependent on the medical system going forward as well.

I know there's a "no politics" rule but it's relevant to the thread, and clear as day the main factor in why players are turned off by Canada when considering contracts. Don't sit there and pretend Canada is some next-level progressive heaven these days. There is a lot to consider, no matter where you stand on the covid approach. I can respect an opposing opinion, but not people playing dumb on why it's not as desirable as it used to be.
All I questioned was your assertion that the US reacted better to Covid than Canada and you went on a lengthy, and, as highlighted, unrelated tangent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I believe the stuff about taxes and restrictions. For Toronto, insiders have said Bogosian didn't want to re-sign because of the Canadian Covid restrictions.

Social media? I'm more doubtful. That sounds like more of a Toronto or Montreal complaint. You get that in any big market in sports, I don't think that's a Canadian problem. If you're playing in Winnipeg or Ottawa I don't think you're necessarily going to be a social media target.
Any big market where your sport is king, be it the cowboys, Yankees, Lakers, Leafs every little thing is talked to death.

i am not into social media myself so I don’t know what most hockey players in their 20-30’s are posting. Never felt the need to post things about my life.

honestly, if I were an athlete I’d probably have 2 accounts, a public one for my brand and a personal ones that is shared only with friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad