Speculation: Player Discussion: Will Smith

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
You're missing the obvious.

Smith puts up one of the best freshmen seasons in NCAA history to win the scoring title. Does not even end up a Hobey Baker finalist.

Sharks draft the kid who won said Hobey Baker to way more fanfare than Smith ever got and every pundit out there predicts the he'll go straight to the NHL.

Do you really think that Smith's decision to go pro had nothing to do with this?

These guys are competitors. And I would bet you in his heart of hearts, Smith believes he's every bit the talent Celebrini is and he wants to prove it. And I for one am here for it!

But to make it all about $$ seems to miss the even more obvious. Smith is going to make tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions in his career. I don't think a few extra hundred thousand means to him what it means to normal people like you and me.
Proper.

Reactions: Sharksfan66

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Why else would Smith leave college when he did? He could have played his sophomore year at BC, signed in March and still pocketed the $92,500 signing bonus and burned a year of his ELC.
Because he's a teenage boy who's been dreaming of playing in the NHL for his entire life?

Not every transaction is some underhanded backroom deal, a kid who killed it in college thought he was ready for the next level so he signed his contract, it's every bit as likely as the Machiavellian lever-pulling you seem convinced he's engaged in, I think he just wants to be in the NHL like most hockey players do

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Because he's a teenage boy who's been dreaming of playing in the NHL for his entire life?

Not every transaction is some underhanded backroom deal, a kid who killed it in college thought he was ready for the next level so he signed his contract, it's every bit as likely as the Machiavellian lever-pulling you seem convinced he's engaged in, I think he just wants to be in the NHL like most hockey players do
We now have Grier on record talking about coming up with a development plan before Smith signed that clearly involves Smith spending his entire rookie season with the Sharks.

This is how things work with high profile NCAA players unless you want a Cutter Gauthier situation on your hands. Nothing Machiavellian about it.

Smith puts up one of the best freshmen seasons in NCAA history to win the scoring title. Does not even end up a Hobey Baker finalist.

Sharks draft the kid who won said Hobey Baker to way more fanfare than Smith ever got and every pundit out there predicts the he'll go straight to the NHL.

Do you really think that Smith's decision to go pro had nothing to do with this?

These guys are competitors. And I would bet you in his heart of hearts, Smith believes he's every bit the talent Celebrini is and he wants to prove it. And I for one am here for it!

But to make it all about $$ seems to miss the even more obvious. Smith is going to make tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions in his career. I don't think a few extra hundred thousand means to him what it means to normal people like you and me.
None of this contradicts Smith getting assurances that he will play in the NHL all season. How is he supposed to prove he's as good as Celebrini on the Barracuda?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
We now have Grier on record talking about coming up with a development plan before Smith signed that clearly involves Smith spending his entire rookie season with the Sharks.

This is how things work with high profile NCAA players unless you want a Cutter Gauthier situation on your hands. Nothing Machiavellian about it.
You are conflating two different things and attaching a conspiracy to it

The organization has a plan to maximize Smith's development and in their eyes it is in their best interest to keep him in the NHL all year

That does not mean it is something they promised to him as a condition of signing his contract, it is perfectly reasonable to believe the team had this plan on their own accord

Reactions: Sharksfan66

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You are conflating two different things and attaching a conspiracy to it

The organization has a plan to maximize Smith's development and in their eyes it is in their best interest to keep him in the NHL all year

That does not mean it is something they promised to him as a condition of signing his contract, it is perfectly reasonable to believe the team had this plan on their own accord
And you're assuming Smith still would have signed if the Sharks had proposed a development plan that involved him playing in the AHL.

The only things we know for sure are 1) Smith signed after one season at BC 2) his camp and the Sharks agreed to a development plan for his rookie year before he signed 3) this plan involves him being on the NHL roster the entire season. Draw your own conclusions.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
And you're assuming Smith still would have signed if the Sharks had proposed a development plan that involved him playing in the AHL.

The only things we know for sure are 1) Smith signed after one season at BC 2) his camp and the Sharks agreed to a development plan for his rookie year before he signed 3) this plan involves him being on the NHL roster the entire season. Draw your own conclusions.
This is projection, I made no assumptions, please quote my post where I assumed there were no promises, I only pointed out that there is no proof of these promises

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Smith's competitive edge, mentioned here, is really sharp and is what is going to get him to develop while in the NHL. Celebrini there pushing him as well. He's gonna be fine.

BUT - all this talk about money is seriously funny. Do y'all forget the family he came from? Money is not on his radar

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Smith's competitive edge, mentioned here, is really sharp and is what is going to get him to develop while in the NHL. Celebrini there pushing him as well. He's gonna be fine.

BUT - all this talk about money is seriously funny. Do y'all forget the family he came from? Money is not on his radar
...is he from some famously wealthy family? I have no idea who his family is.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
...is he from some famously wealthy family? I have no idea who his family is.
He's from Lexington, MA, his father is a super successful luxury real estate guy, and his mom's family used to own the White Sox.

To add for reference, his dad bought a house in MI so they could have a home base while Will was at the NDTP.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
He's from Lexington, MA, his father is a super successful luxury real estate guy, and his mom's family used to own the White Sox.

To add for reference, his dad bought a house in MI so they could have a home base while Will was at the NDTP.
That's all well and good, but does he own his own island?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Most of these kids come from wealthy families but money is still important to them. I never said it was the only consideration. Money is obviously not the only reason any hockey player on the planet would rather be playing in the NHL than the AHL.

Sharksfan66

Nov 4, 2021
None of this contradicts Smith getting assurances that he will play in the NHL all season. How is he supposed to prove he's as good as Celebrini on the Barracuda?
If you're gifted a spot in advance, you didn't prove jack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad