Player Discussion: Erik Gudbranson | Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it's fairly reasonable to expect a Gudbranson deal to fall somewhere in that ~$4M ballpark +/-. Many here inevitably won't like that (primarily because they just don't value the type or style of player he is, i presume)...but we're talking about a Top-4D, even if that is more of a "#4" than anything higher up the chart. That comes at a premium these days - and the ability to play hard minutes and bring "intangibles" and physicality do influence value as well. Gudbranson's case isn't going to rest solely on this season with Vancouver either...he's got a body of work behind that.

Plus, the biggest thing...he's starting from a $3.5M baseline just on a Qualifying Offer basis. So any silly notion of bringing it down below that is out the question.

There aren't really a ton of perfect comps for Gudbranson though. It's kind of mucked up by the fact that he's got quite a few years under his belt for his age - relative to a lot of the more comparable 2nd-pairing type defencemen. A lot of the other guys who have come into the league as young as Gudbranson and notched a bunch of seasons before 25, tend to be other high picks who have obviously panned out better, and with more point production to them. A lot of the age/experience/stage of career cohorts aren't really applicable as quality of contribution comps. And a lot of the comps in terms of actual level of play...are guys who had a lot less NHL experience in the bank and less of a track record to go on at this rough age point.

imo one of the closest comps as a reference point is probably Marco Scandella @ $4M x 5 years. He had quite a bit less NHL experience in the bank at that similar age point, but i think it's a solid comp in terms of years playing in that 18-20mins range and comparable role. A bit more production, a bit less shutdown credentials. Overall probably about as close as it gets. I think that would be a fair deal.

The best low-end comp i can think of is Mattias Ekholm. $3.75M x 6 years. One of the best bargain deals in the league now, but at the time of signing...he was coming off only his 2nd real NHL season, and first playing in that 18+ mins range, with only 18pts. Probably hard to argue as a case against Gudbranson though, as it was a real "paying for potential" type gamble based on where he was trending at the time. vs Gudbranson with quite a bit more experience/track record to lean on. The numbers at time of signing are in the ballpark though.

There are also the uglier comps out there though. A guy like Emelin @ $4.1M...i think there's a strong case to be made that Gudbranson is the better player. So you can point at Tanev @ $4.45M and say Gudbranson absolutely must be below that, which you can argue quite reasonably - but there really isn't a lot of room over $4.1M and below $4.45M. So you're probably just haggling over maybe $300k one way or the other, which obviously matters...but is still pretty insignificant in the larger picture.

That's the reasonable range as an RFA. Right in and around $4M per. Say...$4M-4.3M or so. :dunno:

However...any deal signed with Gudbranson at this point is going to start buying UFA years almost immediately. Which is where him having all those extra games of experience accrued compared to his natural player calibre cohorts could really bite us in the ass. Because he started in the NHL so young and notched so many games early...he'll be UFA eligible after next season. Which means, should Gudbranson's camp think he could fetch more on the open market as a UFA (and i think there's a good chance he would)...his camp can effectively throw out all the RFA comps altogether. Not hard for his camp to get him to open market very soon.

In which case, all bets are off really. If negotiations go down that road, negotiating with UFAs or impending UFAs is a crapshoot and can obviously get extremely pricey in a hurry. I really hope that's not where this goes...but it's certainly a possibility. That possibility is where rather than nickle and diming him over maybe $200k per year, it might be better/cheaper in the long-run to concede a little bit and not to force the issue down the path of Gudbranson going to UFA. :dunno:

Really, that little 1-year extension from Florida made this situation a lot worse. But it is what it is i guess.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he semi stank last night while others stepped up. he has not been bad but he has not had a break out game all year and needs one. he was outminuted by tryamkin who was doing what he is supposed to do.

he is not hitting much on the boards or open ice and i don't see him bringing much emotion. i wonder if he is unhappy.

the canucks bargaining position is pretty good if this keeps up. otoh, maybe he intends to walk after next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You are hilarious. I was wrong about Gudb being the oldest on the ice due to beer drinking and shooting from the hip but the main point still stands.

The D has been rebuilt. And we still have Juolevi up our sleeve.

I think Gudbranson will sign for about 4.2 mils but I hope he gets 5Mils$ just so I can watch certain posters lose their **** until the end of time lol.

Yep...the baton will be passed from Sbisa to Gudbranson, for the worst d-man contract on the team.....what would these boards actually be like if every defenseman on the Canucks was earning what the salary-cap says they should be earning? Boring:laugh:

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
There is absolutely no way that Gudbranson will be traded nor should we want to, he is going to be a cornerstone on the defence and an excellent locker room guy. Consider him our Willie Mitchell that will be a mainstay in the organization for a long time.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
[/B]

Yep...the baton will be passed from Sbisa to Gudbranson, for the worst d-man contract on the team.....what would these boards actually be like if every defenseman on the Canucks was earning what the salary-cap says they should be earning? Boring:laugh:

Pizza is a left side #6.

Gubranson is a right side #4.

Big difference from my POV (if you're going to overpay - it better not be to guys that can easily be replaced).

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this is an interesting comment in the wild gdt. not sure i agree with him but just the idea somebody would say this about the canucks is amazing to me. if it is remotely true that we are physically taking a toll on other teams then it's fair to say gudbranson has a hand in it.

Just about their whole team is at least 6'-0" 190lbs. Wild's skill got out muscled tonight. Spurgeon and Granny don't seem to play well against this type of team. Scandella is who really disappointed me. He has the size and strength to play with their size.

I wasn't disappointed in the ozone effort of any of the FWD line, the dzone none of them really looked good.

Next 3 games are all skill v skill match ups and all winnable if the team defense shows up.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
this is an interesting comment in the wild gdt. not sure i agree with him but just the idea somebody would say this about the canucks is amazing to me. if it is remotely true that we are physically taking a toll on other teams then it's fair to say gudbranson has a hand in it.

Half of that & half a bit in our goalie being alot better than their goalie (backup) IMHO.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
The problem with RealGud being a #4 on our D corp is that Tanev makes him redundant. He's better defensively, actually has a good transition game and you can see him slowly getting better in the offensive zone. Meanwhile, RealGud's transition game consists of either passing it to his linemate or icing it and has no offensive instincts to speak of.

With Stecher's emergence, he's already commanding a top 4 role and the team desperately needed someone offensively gifted from the back end.

This pushes RealGud to the bottom pairing, and we can all look to Sbisa at how well paying a player 4 to potentially 5 on the bottom pairing plays out.

This is why the Tanev trade rumours have started. Benning will realize he cant recoup his investment for obtaining RealGud and will double down to save face, and will move Tanev to free up a spot to justify RealGud's incoming bloated contract.

Tanev will garner a better return so it might not be that bad if we can score on that trade front, but I'm not holding my breath with Benning behind the wheel.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Tanev isn't quite as close to UFA as RealGud is, which impacts the price.

Still, even Benning knows that Tanev is twice the defenseman RealGud is so hopefully he does set something of a "Tanev cap."

Tanev is 27 with more than 4 years nhl experience so he would be a ufs in July if his contract expires. He is in year 2 of a 5 year deal.

Gudbranson is in year 6, so he still needs 1 more year still.

So, only one year difference based on when they could become UFA. I would use tanev as the bar and have his agent show me why he is better than tanev.

One game into being the top pair, he is failing it. Advantage canucks.

On a side note, benning doesn't need to be the one doing the contract negotiations. Quinn had Burke, Burke had Nonis, gillis had gilman. Benning needs to get a guy to do that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
You are hilarious. I was wrong about Gudb being the oldest on the ice due to beer drinking and shooting from the hip but the main point still stands.

The D has been rebuilt. And we still have Juolevi up our sleeve.

I think Gudbranson will sign for about 4.2 mils but I hope he gets 5Mils$ just so I can watch certain posters lose their **** until the end of time lol.

Why does your beer drinking and shooting from the hip make me hilarious?

Sure, I guess you could say the D has been rebuilt, but that doesn't mean it has been rebuilt well. I'm also glad you openly state you want the team to sign an awful contract. What are your priorities for this team going forward? To accumulate bad contracts just to see people's reactions? Or to see the team build a winner? I know which one I want.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
There is absolutely no way that Gudbranson will be traded nor should we want to, he is going to be a cornerstone on the defence and an excellent locker room guy. Consider him our Willie Mitchell that will be a mainstay in the organization for a long time.

Except Willie Mitchell was actually good at his job. Gudbranson is OK in his own zone (nothing great), and is awful offensively.

But hey, if you think we shouldn't want to trade away a future overpaid and overrated defenseman then that's your prerogative.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The panthers are a worthless joke franchise, run by unprofessional losers. Glad to have Gud.

If you replace the word "panthers" with the word "Canucks" this would be an accurate statement.

What's wrong with Panthers management? You don't like the fact that they're going all-in with analytics? Even in doing so they're still better than the Canucks.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Except Willie Mitchell was actually good at his job. Gudbranson is OK in his own zone (nothing great), and is awful offensively.

But hey, if you think we shouldn't want to trade away a future overpaid and overrated defenseman then that's your prerogative.

Yup Willie Mitchell was a standout player and a warrior for this franchise and it's ****ing shameful he was cut loose based on medical speculation only to win a couple cups with a conference rival.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yup Willie Mitchell was a standout player and a warrior for this franchise and it's ****ing shameful he was cut loose based on medical speculation only to win a couple cups with a conference rival.

What does this have to do with Gudbranson? Who cares what management did 6 years ago?

For the record, Jason Garrison played the same minutes and did the same job as Mitchell did when he was here, so I'm not sure what your complaining about.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Willie Mitchell had much better puck skills than Gudbranson and was consistently a 15-20 point player.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Willie Mitchell had much better puck skills than Gudbranson and was consistently a 15-20 point player.

This is BS to me, Gudbranson has a better shot and better passing ability than Willie Mitchell. Mitchell also scored 13 points at the same age as Gudbranson right now.

Moreover, Willie Mitchell was given more offensive opportunities and used on 1st unit PP time on Canucks and LA Kings.

They stopped that in Florida and his production significantly decreased.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Your unwavering bias and reliance on fancy stats to assess a player is what makes your posts hilarious.

My priorities for the team would be to:

Ice a competitive team that doesn't make me embarrassed to be a canuck fan (i.e. Speedbag incident, ineffective and impotent leadership etc.)

Be entertained.

Win the cup, though there's a > 99.9% chance it will not happen in our lifetime so simply being entertained is a more realistic goal. Watching posters lose their minds over a million$ +/- would be immensely entertaining. Ditto when watching a guy like Gudbranson put a guy like Ferland horizontal come playoff time.

That's because of current management's desire to acquire and overpay players like Gudbranson.

Just because you don't care for, or don't understand, hockey analytics doesn't mean they aren't valuable. Since when is ES GF/60 and ES GA/60 an irrelevant stat? They outline how often a player is scored on. I'd say that's very relevant.

Sure, you can game plan for another team's 3rd/4th liners. I would rather game plan for another team's top players, and would rather have players on my team who are good at scoring on the opposition while keeping the puck out of my net. Preferring players who aren't really good at either, but are good at hitting other players is an interesting strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad