PK Subban on La Poche Bleu Podcast

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's still unacceptable to me how they just let Markov walk like that, as if he was just another player.

Bergevin had a history of fumbling some negotiations and let it get personal.

I think Markov also represented himself so there was no filter during the negotiations.

It was a bad mix, but I'm sure he will be back one day for an appreciation night.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Subban was a good player but could never live up to that contract. Was best suited to being a 1B or #2 type of D-Man. Being the highest paid D-Man in the NHL for several years was ridiculous. Glad he had that Cinderella run in Nashville. Career was pretty much over after that run and maybe the following season. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may...
Bergevin gambled with his contract by lowballing him with a "show me what you got" contract. PK then won the norris that year i believe.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Roger Wilco 2002 sound quality from Lapierre and Latendresse. Subban speaking in his laptop microphone. How do they sound so f***ing trash?

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Imagine playing for Michel Therrien. :ha:

The more stories we hear, the more we realize our management at the time was a country club of incompetents.

🖕 Michel Therrien and Marc Bergevin. 🖕

Reactions: ReHabs

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
The most interesting thing to me was pk talking about how his neck still bothers him, and he was linking it to that last game he played in montreal.

I've always speculated about the effects that injury had on him moving forward but this is the first time I've really heard him talk about it.

Yeah, we can thank Emelin for that. As well as slashing Krieder and giving him an excuse to torpedo Price. Loved the big hits early in his career, but f**k that guy for what he did to Price and Subban.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
For the 10 years of MB's era, and even going all the way back to 2008-2009, the Canadiens' organization forgot that hockey, their business, is entertainment. What a f***ing boring team we've had for what seems like ever.

Subban came in, put on a show, people loved it! He got kicked out.

Thankfully things might turn around with Hutson, Demidov, etc. but that remains to be seen.
Habs have had pure D minded coaches going back to 1993 , except Carbonneau I guess, and they implemented these don't make a mistake try not to lose systems instead of try to win approaches. These have been justified with "all Habs fans want is a Cup regardless of what the game looks like". So we were force fed this brutally boring style of hockey with the promise of a Cup and no Cup.

Hughes and Gorton both said they want an entertaining brand of hockey and they are working on that with the coach they chose and the players they are assembling.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
It's still unacceptable to me how they just let Markov walk like that, as if he was just another player.
It should have been the easiest negotiation of all time. Markov had a $5.75M cap hit for his last 3 contracts spanning 10 years. Yes he was 38 but he was still our 2nd best D after Weber. 1 year / $5.75M should have been a no-brainer.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It should have been the easiest negotiation of all time. Markov had a $5.75M cap hit for his last 3 contracts spanning 10 years. Yes he was 38 but he was still our 2nd best D after Weber. 1 year / $5.75M should have been a no-brainer.

I think Bergevin, the human, was in a really bad spot at that time. He was a one man show in the organization. Remember when he wouldn't cut his hair and let his beard grow hobo style? That was the weight of the pressure on him at that time.

He was struggling and Geoff was also a newb owner, so he didn't know that Bergevin desperately needed to be better surrounded in hockey ops. That's why Gorton was necessary; to revamp the hockey ops.

Reactions: Svart

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I think Bergevin, the human, was in a really bad spot at that time. He was a one man show in the organization. Remember when he wouldn't cut his hair and let his beard grow hobo style? That was the weight of the pressure on him at that time.
Completely self-inflicted and there shouldn't have been pressure: he had full control of the media, organisation, unlimited spending, and was not once restricted in the contracts he gave out. Zero pressure on him.

He was struggling and Geoff was also a newb owner, so he didn't know that Bergevin desperately needed to be better surrounded in hockey ops. That's why Gorton was necessary; to revamp the hockey ops.
2017 was Geoff Molson's EIGHTH year as owner and Bergevin's FIFTH year as GM. You're making excuses for them being arrogant and bad at their jobs

Reactions: the

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Completely self-inflicted and there shouldn't have been pressure: he had full control of the media, organisation, unlimited spending, and was not once restricted in the contracts he gave out. Zero pressure on him.

2017 was Geoff Molson's EIGHTH year as owner and Bergevin's FIFTH year as GM. You're making excuses for them being arrogant and bad at their jobs

I never thought Molson came across as arrogant. He just came across as dumb when he talked about hockey and the on-ice product IMO. He had zero business being involved in hockey decisions. Glad that's done and now he's just cutting checks.

Reactions: ReHabs

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I'm definitely not.

Molson and Bergevin might've had a long tenure together, but it was the first time they faced all those failures in their respective roles.

It's like, you might be a pro scout for 5 years, but also, if you've had a bunch of guys you pushed for turn into busts, then those 5 years, as long as it may seem, it means you were bad at your job for one cycle.

Hockey management is not about instant feedback, like a stand up comedian is.

Reactions: HabsQC

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
In a parallel universe, he and McDonagh were among the top 10 top D pairings in the league for a while.

Sadly, in our timeline, we never got to witness them playing together because Bob Gainey decided to trade for Habs legend Scott Gomez.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad