PK Subban on La Poche Bleu Podcast

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
There was an article years ago on RDS where Desharnais (I think it may have been an interview with CBC?) talked about how if he had a poor game, Therrien wouldn't talk to him. Then like two hours before the next game he'd call him into his office and just obliterate him and talk shit about him. Said it was an awful way to start games, etc.

I know that this board had a pretty gross tendency of trying to tie in his ethnicity to his ice-time but no, Desharnais went through hell with him.

Here's the article :
« C'était la façon de fonctionner de Michel. Si tu connaissais un match ordinaire, il ne te rencontrait pas lors de l'entraînement suivant pour clarifier les choses ou pour te donner des outils afin d'améliorer ton jeu [...] Pierre Gervais venait te chercher deux heures avant le match [pour t'amener voir Therrien]. Puis là, il te rentrait dedans! Tu te faisais remettre tes erreurs dans la gorge et tu te faisais ramasser juste avant le match. Ensuite, tu commençais ton match en étant frustré, fâché, sans être concentré sur la tâche à accomplir. » - David Desharnais

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I mean, MT trashed PK on Anti-Chambre every night.
DAYS, not months or years, literally days after his hiring, Therrien said "I'll make him a better human". Of course MB knew that when he hired him. MT should have never been hired in the first place.

MB just sucked. Can't believe we let him run this franchise for 10 years.
He's still f***ing the team up, for another 3 years

Screenshot 2024-10-04 151739.jpg

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I will never forgive Bergevin for trading PK. He was an entertaining guy who happened to be a great hockey player, someone with personality in a sea of bland give it 100 percent robotic players. He was born to play in Montreal and the fans loved him.

It's too bad our GM didn't focus more on surrounding him and Carey and the rest of the group with the support needed to make a real push for a cup because I believe that group had what it took with some help at center ice. MB wanted to be the star, and with his sidekick, they managed to run the franchise into the ground.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
False narrative. How much spin does one need to avoid admitting something?

Forget Top 30, as I was using that solely to represent the position. Subban was well into the top 15-20 for most of his career and would've been number one on many teams. The fact a handful of dmen were better does not make him anything less than a #1D.
He was top 5 in his prime.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I was going to comment I don't know how anyone can hate PK but f*** PK is hated.

Give your head a shake people.

In his absolute peak he was one of the best defender the NHL has seen. What a ridiculous comment to call him a 1B.
I liked PK. He was an excellent d-man and a great entertainer but that highlighted part is to quote you a ridiculous statement.
I'll name just a few of the best defenders the NHL has ever seen:
Harvey
Orr
Park
Savard
Robinson
Lapointe
Bourque
Lidstrom
Keith
Horton
Housley
Zubov
MacInnis
Salming
Blake
Chara
Leetch
Murphy
Pilote
Langway
Niedermayer
Stevens
Chelios
KArlsson
Pronger
Coffey
Potvin
No one would put P.K. in with that group of defencemen and claim to be unbiased. He was an excellent D-man but let's not get carried away with the hyperbole.

Reactions: JianYang

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Some insights into what makes PK tick so far in this interview.

What a strong character. He was perfect for Montreal. Bergevin, Therrien, and that crew of flunkies were... not perfect for Montreal.

(PK digresses a lot...)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I liked PK. He was an excellent d-man and a great entertainer but that highlighted part is to quote you a ridiculous statement.
I'll name just a few of the best defenders the NHL has ever seen:
Harvey
Orr
Park
Savard
Robinson
Lapointe
Bourque
Lidstrom
Keith
Horton
Housley
Zubov
MacInnis
Salming
Blake
Chara
Leetch
Murphy
Pilote
Langway
Niedermayer
Stevens
Chelios
KArlsson
Pronger
Coffey
Potvin
No one would put P.K. in with that group of defencemen and claim to be unbiased. He was an excellent D-man but let's not get carried away with the hyperbole.
From 13-18 ? He was absolutely in that group. He was better than Langway, Stevens, Murphy, Blake, Salming, Zubov, Horton, Housley, Lapointe, Savard, Park and at least equal to Niedermeyer, Karlsson, Macinnis, and a few others.

Regular season:

1728072694826.png

Playoffs:
1728072812667.png

His prime was relatively short at around 450 games and his career even shorter, and this hurts him legacy-wise. His peak is right there with any other top D's outside of the Orr, Pronger, Harvey, Potvins. His playoff prowess are amazing, he did all that and actually backed it up defensively, unlike Burns and Karlsson, both of which should also be considered all-time greats.

Really, it's so weird to see such a great player be ostracized like this by the fan base he gave it all to.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Some interesting subtext.

Well, PK comes across as a lot more grounded than the media smears even if he talks a lot and excessively. Being a yapper is not the same as being arrogant. Subban seems even more generous and normal than we were led to believe.

The pain from losing a fan favourite is gone but the what if… always comes back.

He is still hurt to have been traded and it seems like that year he was at loggerheads with Bergevin about how Bergevin built the team… Bergevin, instead of respecting him as a caring player who wants to win, decided to throw him away for insubordination.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
I will say it before and say it again but I knew when he came back from his holdout and had to play behind Raphael FREAKING Diaz for like 10 games (and still won the Norris in the end), I knew there was more going on than just typical ice time management bs.
Like they say, Only in Russia. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad