Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
You have any explanation for why he's still in there aside from "2 cups" or "leader on the defense?" The other night, he had the worst game I've seen from a Pens D in as long as I can remember.

That's a lot of money to sit in the press box. I think that's the core issue.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003

core issue then truly is one of arrogance. if you dont ice your best team because you messed up and signed veterans on the decline and instead of owning that continue to play them you have a deeply flawed organization.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I really hope that's not the major reason. LA had no problem burying Richards in the AHL. I think it's more that they like his leadership and he's a cagey veteran.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Man, that's a bad, bad reason. The Hawks aren't worried about sitting $4 million worth of Vermette. Hell, the Kings weren't worried about sending $7 million worth of Richards to the minors. Those are the champions.

Sunk cost isn't a good reason to dig a dry well deeper.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Really though, which would be more troubling? Playing him because of his salary or playing him because they can't see how bad he's been... #experience? I don't have an answer

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Really though, which would be more troubling? Playing him because of his salary or playing him because they can't see how bad he's been... #experience? I don't have an answer

Playing him because they can't see how bad he's been. Easily. At least with the former, they know that a problem even exists.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

The worst case is defiantly not seeing how bad he is. That's their job, to assess the players they have and put out their best team.

It's bad playing him because of the money he makes, but not as bad as not seeing he's a terrible player.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The worst case is defiantly not seeing how bad he is. That's their job, to assess the players they have and put out their best team.

It's bad playing him because of the money he makes, but not as bad as not seeing he's a terrible player.

I disagree. If they are playing him simply because of money, then they are intentionally putting a worse team on the ice than they know they could. That sounds like an ownership problem. At least incompetence can be corrected by firing people.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I think scuderi is tradable if they retain 1 mill in salary but I could be wrong. I just don't think they'll do it.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I can't disagree.

On the flip side, playing him because of his salary is actively choosing their public image over winning. Scuds makes the same money whether he eats peanuts or eats minutes :sarcasm:. Protect the brand.

So we basically have to choose between incompetence or willful negligence.

May 10, 2010
I see many examples of the downside of Twitter, what are the benefits? You get information on the rare occasion seconds sooner than I do?

The costs and benefits are based on who you choose to follow. If you hate it or love it, it's because of your choices. No content is forced upon you. Following Rossi and then complaining that Twitter sucks because of your choice is dumb.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
I disagree. If they are playing him simply because of money, then they are intentionally putting a worse team on the ice than they know they could. That sounds like an ownership problem. At least incompetence can be corrected by firing people.

I don't totally disagree. Both are very undesirable situations.

I guess it's just personally, if they can't see that Scuderi is a problem then how can they properly evaluate other players on the team, in the minors, prospects, draftees, and even players on other teams to scheme against or target for trade/FA signing.

Both are signs of bad management, and cause for firings, but we know that this organization doesn't see either as a problem, which grinds my gears every time I think about it.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Really? Sid was being ripped to pieces in every outlet I can think of.

Agreed. BOTH Sid and Geno get ripped apart when they aren't producing. It doesn't need to be an either/or thing here.

Exactly. They are both overly criticized for not producing in the playoffs, even when there are many factors beyond their control playing into it. no need to put them up against each other in this regard.

Prisuta for certain, and Savran I'm not sure, made every excuse for Sid's struggles.

I agree it shouldn't be an either/or, but they know their audiences...trashing Sid, especially after 3 games, would be met with disdain. Trashing Geno is met with agreement, because he's not the hardworking good kid who could be your neighbor. Much like Madden does, it's easy to vilify Geno, because you can point to "lazy Russian", and a sect of the fans will agree.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Prisuta for certain, and Savran I'm not sure, made every excuse for Sid's struggles.

I agree it shouldn't be an either/or, but they know their audiences...trashing Sid, especially after 3 games, would be met with disdain. Trashing Geno is met with agreement, because he's not the hardworking good kid who could be your neighbor. Much like Madden does, it's easy to vilify Geno, because you can point to "lazy Russian", and a sect of the fans will agree.

Seems like you're forgetting how badly the media (and this board) criticized Sid last year.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I don't mind if the media criticizes malkin. It's the instant trade reaction that pisses me off.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The costs and benefits are based on who you choose to follow. If you hate it or love it, it's because of your choices. No content is forced upon you. Following Rossi and then complaining that Twitter sucks because of your choice is dumb.

I don't have twitter PER my statement above. Twitter may be the dumbest trend in the entire history of dumb trends. Just my opinion, now go check your phone for an update.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If true, could've had any of Drouin, Jones, Monahan, Nurse, Nichuskin + Kucherov or Vasilevsky.

While that would have been really tantalizing, that also would have meant they would have had to sign 2 more veteran blueliners to replace Letang's experience.

Edit- And could you imagine the uproar when either of the players they got in return for Letang took more than 1/2 a season to develop. It'd be Beau Bennett times ten.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think if you start scratching Scuderi you lower his trading value in the summer. I think that's the issue. Or I hope it is. There might only be a couple of teams dumb enough to want him, and if they realize that he's not even better than Chorney or Dumoulin in the eyes of the Penguins, they'd be less inclined to want to acquire him.

Chicago can scratch Vermette because he's a rental. I don't know what LA intended with Richards, other than to hope he gets sick of riding the bus and retires.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
I don't have twitter PER my statement above. Twitter may be the dumbest trend in the entire history of dumb trends. Just my opinion, now go check your phone for an update.

It's not a trend, it's a reflection of society's demand for immediate information. Whether it's called Twitter or Twitter 2.0 or whatever replaces it, it's not ever going away. So you can either accept that, or keep banging your cane against the ceiling.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think if you start scratching Scuderi you lower his trading value in the summer. I think that's the issue. Or I hope it is. There might only be a couple of teams dumb enough to want him, and if they realize that he's not even better than Chorney or Dumoulin in the eyes of the Penguins, they'd be less inclined to want to acquire him.

Chicago can scratch Vermette because he's a rental. I don't know what LA intended with Richards, other than to hope he gets sick of riding the bus and retires.

That's wishful thinking man.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I seem to recall we were praying that the only reason they were playing Scuderi at all earlier in the season was to move him.
Oh well. That'll teach us to expect good mgmt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad