Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: If they trade Letang, Scandy Riots

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Maybe because he's toxic. I've always got those vibes from him. He doesn't strike me as a "team player"

I've never bought the narrative of "they are playing better without Letang because they know they have to step up without him" Nobody wants to admit they are just better without him. If they play so much harder without him then try trading him and lets see how hard they play.

I dont think hes toxic but I do think Letang and Malkin take alot of risks. And when they arent on their games(especially at the same time) thats a recipe for disaster. But its also what makes them as good as they are. So when they arent at their best, thats when we need others to fill in.

Hopefully thats the goal this year. Adding more dynamic players. At least when it comes to clutch scoring come playoff time. Kap is a start. Zucker will be in his 2nd year with us. He didnt get much time. Especially not with Malkin. Was dumb to have Jake with Sid and Zucker with Malkin when we knew the opposite worked for sure.

Marino will have more experience. As well as Pettersson. It took Dumo more than a few years to get to his best. McCann coming off his best year , even tho he wasnt great in the PO. So now add better talent to his line. He can be our 3C but dont treat the 3rd line as one. When we had our injuries and he was on the 2nd line with Tanev and Kahun, he was at his best. We should have 3 scoring lines. No bottom 6 talk. HBK def wasnt considered that.

Even if it takes moving Zucker with McCann and Hornqvist for example. Assuming line 1 is GCK. Malkin and Rust could pair up with someone else. They were a great duo , seems like adding Zucker to the line took away from Rust. Maybe add Tanev on left side of that line. See what happens. He does the dirty work and Malkin/Rust do much better where it matters most.

Guentzel - Crosby - Kapanen
Tanev - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - McCann - Hornqvist

Or switch Kap and Horns. Or add another talented player. That would be the best option. Whether its Poulin or another trade.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I dont think hes toxic but I do think Letang and Malkin take alot of risks. And when they arent on their games(especially at the same time) thats a recipe for disaster. But its also what makes them as good as they are. So when they arent at their best, thats when we need others to fill in.

Hopefully thats the goal this year. Adding more dynamic players. At least when it comes to clutch scoring come playoff time.

Add more dynamic players but get mad about Letang and Malkin taking risks.

Reactions: vodeni

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I dunno. I think if fleury was bought out and did come back, he’d be more accepting of a shared role than he was in 16/17. It’ll have been 4 years by that point and I think he’d be a little different now.

Hell if he wins a 4th with Vegas this year he may be even more satisfied to just collect pay for as long as he can and preserve his body a little more.

Like how accepting he's been of Lehner taking his spot in Vegas?

Fleury wants to start. There's no indication he'd be fine with a platoon spot, and definitely not as Jarry's backup.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Thankfully, I don't think MAF returning is very realistic. He'd need to be bought out and accept a relatively meager deal, or traded to us with like 50% retained, and he'd have to be willing to be the clear backup. I'm assuming he'd prefer to be the starter elsewhere, and I think there are plenty of teams looking for goalies that he'll probably find a better landing spot.

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
No, he's fine as a back up. You're watching too many Beavis and Butthead episodes. It's clouding your judgement.
NO he is the Little Girl with the curl, when he is Good, He is very good. When he is bad he is HORRIBLE ! you can NOT have that as your backup to a mostly unproven starter in Jarry, who I like by the way

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Thankfully, I don't think MAF returning is very realistic. He'd need to be bought out and accept a relatively meager deal, or traded to us with like 50% retained, and he'd have to be willing to be the clear backup. I'm assuming he'd prefer to be the starter elsewhere, and I think there are plenty of teams looking for goalies that he'll probably find a better landing spot.

Well if he's bought out, doesn't he get that money? So he gets like 4 years of pay for nothing. Then he gets to double dip. Taking low deal from Pitt would just be extra money he would have never saw.

I'm prepping for the worst. Management runs this team by Twitter fan favorite polls not to win Championships every year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Fleury wants to start. There's no indication he'd be fine with a platoon spot, and definitely not as Jarry's backup.

You don’t want to bring back the guy who let his agent post a pic of him being stabbed in the back with Excalibur by his coach... during the playoffs?

What could go wrong?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
NO he is the Little Girl with the curl, when he is Good, He is very good. When he is bad he is HORRIBLE ! you can NOT have that as your backup to a mostly unproven starter in Jarry, who I like by the way
You have very little knowledge on this matter clearly. Desmith is a solid back up. In a pinch he could start a few games in a row no problem. You're hung up on some false narrative you heard second hand. I told you before, it simply cannot be verified.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I doubt it. Nearing the end of his career. Pressure is off now. He would be playing with house money, especially if Vegas wins it all this year. That pressure ended when he started the 2nd cup run and won 9 games. Hes the exact type of goalie we would want as a 1B, the Pens connection makes it even better because of the locker room with our star players.

If he no longer feels pressure to be the man, why did he throw his toys out of the pram when he no longer got to be the man?

And I have no idea why people pretend that pro athletes are so mentally fragile that they'll shatter at any sort of adversity. And I also have no idea why people pretend that how fans feel should have ANY sort of impact on what decision a team makes.

Signing Fleury now would be similar to the Ducks signing Ryan Miller to be Gibson's backup after trading Andersen.

I don't think pro athletes are that fragile. I've said nothing to that effect. Neither has anyone else.

That said - they are human, they do have frailties, and if you find them you lose elite performance. There is a big difference between the two statements. And I don't see why the latter statement would be up for debate. We are where we are because our goaltender went from strong as a rock to just another guy. If we can avoid going by the potential pitfalls of frailty that'd be good. That should be part of a team's smart decision making. Fans can get in a player's head. Media pressure can get in a player's head. Locker room splits where some players prefer one goalie and others the other can get in a player's head. Hell - role can get in a player's head, and that'd be something to worry about with both players. Would a controversy hurt either guy? I don't know, but I don't see any attraction to finding out.

And the appeal of getting a 36 year old guy with two seasons of declining numbers, who last season gave the sort of performance you could get from Mrazek or Bernier or Nilsson or any number of other not hard to acquire goalies, doesn't really counter that. Hell, ask Lundqvist whether he'd fancy the job when he gets brought out. I don't see how MAF is appealing as an asset unless we believe in athletes' mental performance enough to think his personality and locker room ties would be a boost over a bunch of other declining little over average, little under average goalies - and if that's what we believe in, I don't see writing off the risks.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah, I think that's a reason to say no to signing Fleury. If he will make a shit about his role, don't bring him back. I just don't think these "Think of Jarry! What if fans are mean to Jarry!" is a legitimate reason to not bring him back.

But here's what I'll point out: if he's not happy about the idea of being a 1B goalie or backup, he won't sign here, so the discussion is moot. There is no "signing Fleury but he's unhappy with his role".

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I think that's a reason to say no to signing Fleury. If he will make a shit about his role, don't bring him back. I just don't think these "Think of Jarry! What if fans are mean to Jarry!" is a legitimate reason to not bring him back.

But here's what I'll point out: if he's not happy about the idea of being a 1B goalie or backup, he won't sign here, so the discussion is moot. There is no "signing Fleury but he's unhappy with his role".

And if MAF says he's happy with backup but then realises he's not?

Where's our mutual friend ''Riptide'', I miss him. Where is he?

Good question. @Riptide stop hiding.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Well then trade him to somewhere he'd be happy to go to and start? If you can trade for a good backup if DeSmith sucks, why can't you trade Fleury to a team where he can start if he realizes he's not okay with being a 1B or a backup?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Good question. @Riptide stop hiding.
I thought you might have done ''something'' with him or his body. I sure hope you don't have him chained up somewhere. It's actually a real fear of mine.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad