Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Does anyone actually trust JR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Of course results are what matters, but it's worth discovering exactly what went wrong.

Our biggest problems are the garbage bottom defense pair and the PP. Once those get sorted out, the rest doesn't seem so daunting.

I don't have any reservations about Crosby and Malkin's ability to perform as #1 and #2 Cs for the rest of our window. It's the rest that's concerning.
A RW for Sid and Jake or Sid and Zucker. An entire 3rd line, starting with a 3C, or two much better wingers than we can surround TB with if you think he's capable of being a 3C. A 4th liner with some kind of offensive ability. Another threat to produce on the blueline, ideally paired with Marino. As we saw, once Letang's offensive game dries up, it's pretty much barren back there.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
I hope JR is on the phone with Bill G right now regarding JJ. Twice he's been moveable to Minnesota...twice. Do it already and be done with it.

Why are trades with them so damn tough! There were two good deals...and one bad deal. Of course the two good deals don't go down but the bad one does.

To Minny for our 1st and Addison and Stalock? AND they take JJ?

I am actually quite surprised this rumor didn't make it to the main boards? Or did I miss it? Murray for Andersen 1:1 makes a bit of sense. But it doesn't help our goalie situation...or does it? Do we keep Andersen for the season or do we ship him out to Colorado or Buffalo or...?

Would Murray & McCann for Anderson (agreed to extension) & Kapanen work?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Would Murray & McCann for Anderson (agreed to extension) & Kapanen work?

What's the point though? We need to move Murray to move cap. We'd do that move and then just need to move cap again without really getting any better.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd rather trade Murray for picks/prospects than trade him for Andersen, to be honest. I don't see a reason to make the Kypreos deal from Pittsburgh's viewpoint.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
What's the point though? We need to move Murray to move cap. We'd do that move and then just need to move cap again without really getting any better.

Seal suggested Jarry for our 1st back, Addison and the Wild take JJ.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A RW for Sid and Jake or Sid and Zucker. An entire 3rd line, starting with a 3C, or two much better wingers than we can surround TB with if you think he's capable of being a 3C. A 4th liner with some kind of offensive ability. Another threat to produce on the blueline, ideally paired with Marino. As we saw, once Letang's offensive game dries up, it's pretty much barren back there.

Crosby's RW and the PP are essentially the same problem. The 3rd line has a lot of internal options to try before throwing in the towel, 4th line too.

And we clearly disagree on the blueline, so no sense in rehashing that haha.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd rather trade Murray for picks/prospects than trade him for Andersen, to be honest. I don't see a reason to make the Kypreos deal from Pittsburgh's viewpoint.

Dealing Murray for any goalie seems pretty dumb IMO. Jarry and DeSmith are fine to start the season and see how they progress.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
What type of trade would that entail?

Murray + 1st + Bjugstad for Andersen + Willy? Maybe we have to trade Andersen along the way, but realistically I’d prefer just cutting Andersen out entirely and letting that be TML problem.

Murray + 1st for Willy is a fair trade imo.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Seal suggested Jarry for our 1st back, Addison and the Wild take JJ.

I don't think that's happening somehow.

Crosby's RW and the PP are essentially the same problem. The 3rd line has a lot of internal options to try before throwing in the towel, 4th line too.

And we clearly disagree on the blueline, so no sense in rehashing that haha.

Get a guy who can QB from that spot and you get a guy who wants to handle the puck a lot more than Crosby cares for.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
To answer the thread question, no I do not trust Rutherford any longer. I always had a lot of faith in him to fix things, but I no longer think he is capable. Part of the problem is the disconnect between himself and his head coach.

As long as both are here together, we are going nowhere.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Get a guy who can QB from that spot and you get a guy who wants to handle the puck a lot more than Crosby cares for.

I don't know if that's necessarily the case. A Kessel type probably isn't going to work on Sid's line, but someone like Rakell doesn't need nearly so many touches.

Like, theoretically an RH Guentzel (lawd) wouldn't be a problem, right? Skilled and efficient.

Conversely, a guy like Palmieri brings a different kind of threat to the PP that would also open up the ice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's an interesting idea. Not sure if I support it, but I'd live with it.

Andersen, at least what I'm looking at, has some comparable stats to Gibson for the last three seasons.

To me, Andersen is the best of both worlds between Murray and Jarry. Proven and good starting goalie that won't break the bank to re-sign. If I could re-sign him for 4-5 years at about $6 million, I'd easily pick him over Murray or Jarry.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

At least from my POV, you do that deal because:

1. Kapanen is a RW and righty version of McCann, so that does address a need.
2. Andersen is better than both Jarry and Murray and can likely be re-signed for a reasonable rate.
3. You can sell high on Jarry if you have committed to Andersen as your starting goalie.

I think Andersen is basically Murray minus the question marks and cup wins right now.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If JR manages to acquire Andersen, I'd actually support JR trading Jarry and keeping Andersen as the #1 goalie, assuming you can work out an extension with Andersen.

Id rather try to sign Jarry to a one year deal then. Let them battle it out and extend the one who takes over for number 1. Jarry is almost six years younger and Andersen didn't have the best season last year.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i love that tbh. i always felt like we hadn't seen the last of him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad