Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
NHL hockey will still be on. It's not like it'll be early September and we're starved for anything with a stick and puck involved. Besides, the appeal of the Olympics for me was always seeing the very best in sport. Hockey won't be anything close to that...curling and figure skating will be.

Not trying to **** on your enjoyment of it, but it's basically a glorified Spengler Cup. Even the World Championships will have dramatically better rosters because they'll at least feature a fair amount of NHL post-season castoffs.

On second thought, I may watch a few Russia games just to expose myself to a few exotic KHLers.

It's still the Olympics though. Totally different stage and the history of the games is a big part of the draw for me. I'm excited to see these rag tag bunches. Would be cool to see an underdog country get a real shot at a medal.

Reactions: Jacob

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's still the Olympics though. Totally different stage and the history of the games is a big part of the draw for me. I'm excited to see these rag tag bunches. Would be cool to see an underdog country get a real shot at a medal.

To each his own. The Olympics doesn't hold any appeal for me in and of itself - its appeal for me is that it's the best in the world, and this won't be that. A rose by any other name...is a dressed-up Spengler Cup.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Updating points for prospects (using Empoleon's original post for a template). Although, tbh, if you want to feel good about this, read the AHL section, then skip to Bellerive somewhere in the middle, and call it a day there.

AHL:

Sprong: 18 goals and 28 points in 29 AHL games; 2 goals and 3 points in 5 NHL games
Bengtsson: 0 goals and 9 points in 20 games
ZAR: 5 goals and 21 points in 33 games
Johnson: 4 goals and 17 points in 29 games
Blueger: 10 goals and 21 points in 35 games
Simon: 4 goals and 17 points in 21 games; 4 points in 9 NHL games
DiPauli: 9 goals and 13 points in 29 games
JS Dea: 9 goals and 23 points in 35 games
Prow: 1 goal and 5 points in 13 games
Tiffels: 1 goal and 2 points in 9 games
Taylor: 1 point in 3 AHL games
Jarry: .897 save% in 5 AHL games; .919 in 15 NHL games
DeSmith: .915 save% in 19 AHL games; .833 in 2 NHL games

OHL:

D'Orio: 11-23-8 wtih a .897 save%
Hall: 0 goals and 8 points in 34 games
Miletic: 19 goals and 60 points in 37 games

QMJHL:

Lauzon: 0 goals and 2 points in 11 games, he's been hurt for a lot of the year
Drozg: 11 goals and 28 points in 35 games (5 and 9 in 5 games at WJC D1B)

WHL:

Bellerive: 25 goals and 57 points in 40 games

NCAA/USA juniors (just going in order of where they were drafted):

Lafferty: 4 goals and 8 points in 17 games
Angello: 5 goals and 12 points in 16 games
Pavlychev: 7 goals and 11 points in 23 games
Bjorkqvist: 10 goals and 13 points in 23 games
Jones: 1 goal and 7 points in 19 games
Masonius: 1 goal and 7 points in 17 games
Reilly: 7 goals and 12 points in 23 games
Phillips: 5 goals and 12 points in 16 USHL games; 0 points in 5 NCAA games

Europe:

Palojarvi: 2 goals and 9 points in 31 games in the Liiga Junior-A league, -11 in those 31 games
Olund: 6 goals and 14 points in 33 games in the SHL, 5 goals and 8 points in 9 games in the Champions League
Gustavsson: .893 save% in 11 games in the SHL, .925 in 7 games in the SuperElit U20 league, .924 in 6 games at JWC
Almari: 1 goal and 4 points in 20 games in the Liiga, 1 point in 3 games at the Spengler Cup, 4 points in 12 games in the Mestis

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I do wonder why we got Tiffels to leave college, it wasn't like he was dominating.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I do wonder why we got Tiffels to leave college, it wasn't like he was dominating.

Usually when a player leaves school early it's their decision. Tiffels probably has enough credits that he can graduate taking a couple summer or online courses and figured this would be the best thing for his career.

My last semester was a couple 100-level gen eds that I could have taken online if I wanted to.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I was just gonna mention Pavs.

For anyone with the BTN channel, the PSU game is on now.

He's a BIG BOY.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dunno what sort of points scoring rates in the NCAA you want for a defensive forward to get excited, but Pavs and Angello have both ticked up nicely. Bjorkqvist too. Tbh, Lafferty's ugly reversion aside, none of the forward prospects are doing that bad (admittedly against low expectations). The blue line, however, is just pretty grim reading. Thank gods our pro scouts seem able to find dmen out of nowhere- if only they could teach the amateur scouts how to do it too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’ve seen Pavlychev a few times and I’d describe his skating as “smooth.” He’s not fast but he’s fluid and he can transition, cross over, cut and all the other little things as well as a smaller player. He doesn’t lumber. From A to B he’s roughly average and from a dead stop he’s probably below average but you’d expect a 6’7” guy to be.

I think the chances of him being a regular NHLer are remote but there’s still a lot to like about him.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Bjorkqvist doing okay after what, iirc, was a pretty slow start? Same goes for ZAR.

Björkvist had a good start to the season. Hat trick in the 4th game of the season and overall 4 goals in the first four games and 7 points in the first 10 games. That was followed by a stretch of 9 games where he had just one point. Now he has 6 points in his ongoing 5 game scoring streak.

So pretty inconsistent production but good to see him coming out of the quiet stretch from mid-November to end of December and starting to put up some points again.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Am I the only one who thinks 14 points in 33 SEL games for a 20-year-old rookie (Olund) is really, really good?
That is very impressive to me.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, I'd consider what Ölund is doing as impressive, but nothing spectacular. Despite being a really good league, the SHL isn't as stingy as some other European leagues (namely Liiga).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
For a 20 year old I’d say Olund’s production isn’t anything to write home about.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey Guys, what are your thoughts on Miletic and Bellerive? They seem like they’re having great years for undrafted signings. Thx in advance!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Miletic will join the pros next year, right? I feel like we've got an intriguing crop of would be centres joining WBS next year - Miletic, Lafferty and maybe Olund. Not much in the way of D (Hall, maybe Almari) though - I don't know if there's any interesting free agents out there.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm split what to think with Miletic. On one hand, he's 20 years old, so he should be doing well in the OHL. On the other hand, he also has 61 points in 38 games, which is well above "doing well in the OHL". He might just be another guy like Sgarbossa, who put up 102 points in 66 games in his last year in juniors as an overager, but that's still nice to get for free. We just have to wait and see, but I'm not holding my breath he'll become anything special. Bellerive? He 100% would have been taken in the 2nd or 3rd round or higher this year had he not been signed by the Penguins. He's a legit prospect.

Reactions: Son of Petter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad