Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Please keep posting again, folks, for those of us who can’t watch the game…my HIIT class is at the same time it starts and then I have a conference…much gratitude

akapidots

Jul 3, 2023
Penguins' lines/pairings vs. Senators today:
Rutger McGroarty - Vasily Ponomarev - Avery Hayes
Beau Jelsma - Tristan Broz - Ville Koivunen
Cooper Foster - Gabe Klassen - Justin Cloutier
Atley Calvert - Logan Pietila - Jack Beck
Owen Pickering - Donovan McCoy
Isaac Belliveau - Finn Harding
Emil Pieniniemi - Harrison Brunicke

Justin Cloutier replaces Mathieu De St. Phalle on the third line. Donovan McCoy gets in for Scooter Brickey on the top pairing. Emil Pieniniemi replaces Caeden Carlisle on the third pairing. Everything else is the same
Sergei Murashov starts in net, free agent invite Charlie Schenkel backs up

From Taylor Haase at DKPS

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I like Ponomarev for the bottom 6 but given we have like 14 forwards on one-way deals *plus* Poulin and Pono can be sent down without clearing waivers I think he starts down there, probably the first forward called up, goes up and down a few times and ultimately finishes the year up here.

Reactions: Turin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not Penguins prospect related, but I'd absolutely love this kind of stream option for actual games in the NHL season. No broadcast team, just the sound of the game on the ice.

I like Ponomarev for the bottom 6 but given we have like 14 forwards on one-way deals *plus* Poulin and Pono can be sent down without clearing waivers I think he starts down there, probably the first forward called up, goes up and down a few times and ultimately finishes the year up here.

Yeah I think Ponomarev is almost assuredly the first call-up from WBS with an injury, based on what I've seen. Hope he cements a spot and they move out some of these older guys.

He really seems to fit exactly what this team wants more of in its bottom-6.

Reactions: Turin and Jacob

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's a "no shit" comment because Pickering is 6'5", but Pickering looks a lot bigger than everyone else out here. He is already decently bulky at 6'5" and 199 lbs, but adding an extra 10-15 lbs could enable him to be a physically dominant guy in the NHL.

Also I didn't realize that Broz was up to over 200 lbs, he's now listed at 5'11" and 202 lbs. That's a huge size increase from where he was drafted at, I believe he was only about 170 lbs when he was drafted.

One more comment about size, Murashov is pretty short for a goalie but he moves really well. I think Murashov may be the most early-career Fleury type of goalie they've had in their system in a long time: short but crazy athletic.

Reactions: Dominance and Jdodd

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Damn that was a case of Koivunen's poor top end speed. He got a nice turnover at the blueline and was free for a breakaway, but the Senators defenseman was able to catch up to him pretty quickly. You can really see the lack of high end athleticism out of him.

That being said, the guy who caught up to him was Carter Yakemchuk, who was the the 7th overall pick in 2024.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Pretty meh period, especially since Sens lost 9-1 yesterday. Not much to talk about in the offensive end. Belliveau and Pickering look OK on defense. Their partners are a little shaky. I think Harding is paired with IB, so he's likely to be pretty green and make some mistakes. Musharov not really tested. I think I heard 5 shots. Looking forward to seeing how he looks in camp against a little higher level of talent.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Broz line generating chances but they're not finishing. L4 actually looking like a good L4 and chipping in a goal.

And a sweet PP goal by Pono on a nice feed from Calvert.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Koivunen is soooooooooooooooooo good in tight spaces, his vision and distribution of the puck puts everyone else to shame! He's a headsy player very good instincts.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are playing well as to positional play and going to the net. Not sure the caliber of the Sens roster but Pens look much better than the Sens. Like the attack and going to the net as the first option vs all those stupid drop passes and stop on the wall in no mans land of prior years. A little hard to follow but Pens D moves the puck well and forwards look to drive the play. Broz is going to be a really good player and Pickering is pretty smooth for his size. He is 6-5 and is closer to 205/210 pounds now. Dubas to his credit has restocked the system in last two years with lots of draft picks coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad