Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I honestly think it is going to be wasteful for Yager to spend all of 2024-25 in the WHL, so I hope they have a better plan for him. Start the season with the Penguins. Give him a two-week conditioning assignment in the AHL in November. Send him to the WJC. Bring him back. Evaluate. Make a decision.

That is way better than another season in the Dub.
IMHO.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I honestly think it is going to be wasteful for Yager to spend all of 2024-25 in the WHL, so I hope they have a better plan for him. Start the season with the Penguins. Give him a two-week conditioning assignment in the AHL in November. Send him to the WJC. Bring him back. Evaluate. Make a decision.

That is way better than another season in the Dub.
IMHO.
I'm hoping he has a solid camp and they give him at least 9 games to start the season. After that, depending on the way he performed, make the decisions that's best for him

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Shane Endicott, that's a blast from the past.
More like Bongrip to the Future.

giphy.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pickering has the Colby Armstrong syndrome. In WBS, their advice in 1999 was go eat McDonald's
That was the absolute best scene on "Chasing the Dream"

I always thought to myself "Hey Colby, when your nutritionist tells you to get your calories up, I don't thiiiiiiiiiiiiink she said to get McD's milkshakes and fries...I think that's just what you heard".

• Haha
Reactions: steelcityassault

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Well DK says Yager is going back to Moose Jaw so prepare for him to make the team! Lol

Interesting, so apparently they aren't going to ask about the AHL and the CHL seasons exemption?

Wonder if that's why he hasn't been signed yet? Save that year on the ELC. If he's truly going, I'd still rather him great a game or two in the NHL. Even if it's just pre-season.

Reactions: Andy99

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Looking at WBS for next season it strikes me that over half the guys I'm most excited for are only on AHL deals.
Maybe I'm just stat watching, but I'm curious to see if anyone of Calvert, Beck or Klaasen can bring their scoring to the next level. Much more so than any of the college FA we have signed.

It's always scary when you have young guys on AHL deals cause if they play well they are free to sign ELC with whoever I think.

We also seem to miss a high scoring AHL vet tbh.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Endicott was a second round pick, too. So he must be one of the biggest busts in franchise history if he was picked THAT high. Everyone knows those second rounders are franchise altering, typically.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Interesting, so apparently they aren't going to ask about the AHL and the CHL seasons exemption?

Wonder if that's why he hasn't been signed yet? Save that year on the ELC. If he's truly going, I'd still rather him great a game or two in the NHL. Even if it's just pre-season.

I guess he isn't exempt because of the timing regarding his age. If the season had started on time, he wouldn't have been in the WHL at all. Because of that cutoff, my understanding is he's not eligible for a waiver.

No joke, Endicott was legit the worst hockey player I ever saw live and in person, I cant think of one thing he did that was close to NHL caliber besides be 6'4.

He was pretty bad, but allow me to submit the following for consideration:

1. Kelly Buchberger the year he scored 0 goals in like 80 games played
2. X-Generation Drake Berehowsky
3. Oulette Oulette, skates of cement

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I guess he isn't exempt because of the timing regarding his age. If the season had started on time, he wouldn't have been in the WHL at all. Because of that cutoff, my understanding is he's not eligible for a waiver.
Yeah, I know the COVID shortened seasons screwed with everything but wasn't that something that Shane Wright used to get the waiver? He's played four "full seasons". If the only reason the # of games is lacking is because of the unavailability of the games due to COVID, that should absolutely be taken into consideration.

I'm still in the camp of "a 5th season in the WHL doesn't do much more him vs the next phase in the AHL".

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

He was pretty bad, but allow me to submit the following for consideration:

1. Kelly Buchberger the year he scored 0 goals in like 80 games played
2. X-Generation Drake Berehowsky
3. Oulette Oulette, skates of cement
God, the crowd when Buchberger scored his only goal of the year (an empty netter IIRC) was insane. It was like we won the Cup. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Yager wasn't nearly good enough in the WHL last year to suggest that he'd gain nothing out of playing in the WHL this year :dunno:

He wasn't even the highest scorer on his team, Firkus put up 61 goals and 126 points for Moose Jaw last year. An absolute ton of his Moose Jaw teammates will be moving onto the AHL this year, I don't see how it's a bad environment for him to be the focal point of a team. Even with his great year, he got a ton of help on Moose Jaw last year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah I agree. I think the ideal situation for him is likely the AHL. But I don't think that he's an obvious case of not having anything left to learn in juniors. Be the best player on your team... ratchet up that offensive game to downright dominant levels. Gain that extra level of confidence by doing so. There are absolutely still things he can work on at that level.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Yager wasn't nearly good enough in the WHL last year to suggest that he'd gain nothing out of playing in the WHL this year :dunno:

He wasn't even the highest scorer on his team, Firkus put up 61 goals and 126 points for Moose Jaw last year. An absolute ton of his Moose Jaw teammates will be moving onto the AHL this year, I don't see how it's a bad environment for him to be the focal point of a team. Even with his great year, he got a ton of help on Moose Jaw last year.
Really though. Firkus had 40 goals/88 points in 66 games the year before in his D+1 season. Not so different from 35/95 in 57 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad