Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
1720293227981.png

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yager builds on nothing by returning to juniors…sign him and play him in NHL until January and then send him to Wilkes if he still needs work

Reactions: vikingGoalie

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
yager was dominant last year I think once a guy is drafted a team should be able to put them in their minor leagues if they and the player agree to it. I think if he has a nice preseason give him that 9 game tryout in the NHL to at least see what the pros do and how they act and prepare for games.

Reactions: Andy99

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
yager was dominant last year I think once a guy is drafted a team should be able to put them in their minor leagues if they and the player agree to it. I think if he has a nice preseason give him that 9 game tryout in the NHL to at least see what the pros do and how they act and prepare for games.
It'll never happen. The NHL will never kneecap the Canadian junior system like that.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The transfer rule is idiotic as a blanket rule…there should be exceptions…his birthdate is just a few days past the cut off and he’s played junior hockey since age 15…he’s not getting anything more out of junior hockey…if the Pens can’t get an exemption then Yager should either be Sid’s new winger or play 3C and sit one of Hayes or Eller’s old asses lol…

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I’m not super familiar with the rules for junior teams and NHL rights but why is that? I assume the junior system is bringing in new guys as well every year.
The best players are the 17-18-19 year olds who are about to be drafted or were just drafted. Those are the ones that drive attendance and interest in the league. Yager's presence as a recently first round pick helped his junior team immensely. Take that away and the argument is you could see a lot of teams eventually fold.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Yeah, I don't understand why it's not up to the NHL team that drafted the guy where he plays. If there's nothing left for him to gain playing in junior, but he's not quite ready for NHL hockey, he should be allowed to play in the AHL regardless of age/years played/whatever. Needlessly convoluted.
The NHL wants to keep the CHL as competitive of a development league/system as possible. Taking 18 and 19 year olds out of the CHL for the AHL waters down the O, the Dub, and the Q, meaning 16 and 17 year olds are going to be playing even weaker competition.

I've forever been in favor of the NHL team paying a transfer fee ($200K or more) to the CHL franchise/league to offset the loss of said player in order to place that 18 or 19 year old in the AHL.

Regardless, it could all change once the NCAA is forced to allow CHLers into their league, which would alter the development path of every high level North American prospect forever

Reactions: Maninthebox87

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
The best players are the 17-18-19 year olds who are about to be drafted or were just drafted. Those are the ones that drive attendance and interest in the league. Yager's presence as a recently first round pick helped his junior team immensely. Take that away and the argument is you could see a lot of teams eventually fold.
I honestly forgot for a second that in those leagues they get a lot of fans and are trying to sell tickets. Once again money talks.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I honestly forgot for a second that in those leagues they get a lot of fans and are trying to sell tickets. Once again money talks.
And remember, most CHL teams operate on razor thin budgets. Only the select few like London, Kitchener, Quebec, Halifax operate in the black. Additionally, the NHL subsidizes the CHL in order to keep it viable as a feeder since 35-40% of its talent pool comes out of the CHL.

Reactions: farscape1

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yager is going to be the guy in Moose Jaw this year. They’re loosing Savoie and Firkus.

I don’t get the mentality that he can’t benefit from going back. The entire offense is going to flow through him. I’d rather have him playing there than getting 6 mins a night playing with Shaw Boomhower in WBS.
Or he could play 20 minutes a night with Sidney Crosby…if we had a different coach lol…Sullivan will have him playing 8 min a night with Acciari and then bench him when he makes a mistake.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
This will be an important preseason for Yager then. I feel teams rarely do the tryout where you can have them on the NHL roster for a couple games and if it doesn’t work out send them back to juniors. If it’s a top prospect I don’t see why teams wouldn’t let them see what NHL players do and how they prepare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad