Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Does anyone have EP premium?
its still a few hours left at 50% off.
I like to follow the few prospects we have and I've bookmarked them atm checking the stats etc.

Question i have is if anyone us it? And is premium worth it?

Or if someone else had an opinion if you think it's worth getting?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
We don't have our own 2nd next year. But replaced it with the STL one
Yep I looked again and the second they got on the Hayes so called trade does give them picks in every round. The question is when will the team be in a position to draft in the top 5 or so?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why are you so obsessed with this? He’s not in college, he can’t become a UFA. He would have to re-enter the draft and the only instance of that happening to a CHL player in the last like 25 years is because the team chose not to sign the guy to recoup the compensatory pick because they realized the player they took sucked.

He’s going to sign. Probably within the week when fans are disappointed we added nothing good to our team and they need good PR for muppets who think doing something that is the absolute bare minimum, like signing your 1st round pick, is an accomplishment.
Yeah, he can re enter the draft next year! And you're right it is the bare minimum, so get it done! For it to get to this point in time is kinda silly. Just put pen to paper and be done with it. He's only our no 1 prospect.

Well if Hayes and Jarry play, and Sullivan isn’t fired, we’ll be picking in the top 5 in 2025…
Let's hope so, that should be the objective.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wheeler has the Penguins as an "overtime winner" with his ratings this year, with specifically noting the Swanson and Vaisanen as great picks and their 2nd rounders as good picks. The "overtime winner" part means "wouldn't be who I picked but still good picks".

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wheeler has the Penguins as an "overtime winner" with his ratings this year, with specifically noting the Swanson and Vaisanen as great picks and their 2nd rounders as good picks. The "overtime winner" part means "wouldn't be who I picked but still good picks".

I dislike Dubas, but his methodology in drafting has always aligned with the general consensus of skilled, undervalued players from the public scouting community.

Hasn’t necessarily worked out in Toronto, but I appreciate the approach over Rutherford’s. I had a similar opinion of Hextall too. But Hextall’s drafting targets were much different than Dubas’ IMO.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think we did really, really well yesterday. I loved the Brunicke pick, especially with Hutson gone one pick before (had a feeling that was Washington's target). I would have taken Stiga over Howe, but not upset over that one.

LOVE the Swanson pick, and love the fact we have completely restocked the blueline. If I have one gripe, it is that I would have taken one more home-run swing like Swanson, a little bit earlier with a guy like Justin Poirier. 50 goals is 50 goals. Even Carolina interrupted their foray into Russia to draft that kid.

I also love the fact we got back a 2nd rounder for next year, although HOW we acquired it is not something I am ready to talk about.

Reactions: Dominance

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
In a vacuum, the deal with the second is not a killer. Hayes as a bottom 6 center at 3.5 is not that bad. The question is what is he going to produce? He is 32 and the prior two year he was more productive.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Do you have a link?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
MY wish list for Pens FA is Stephenson at LW. Move Smith for a second and if Toronto doesn't offer Liljegren, he can be a depth RD. Dubas probably moves POJ as well since he was non-committal as to signing him.
Stephenson Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Rakell
Doc Hayes Puustinen
Poulin Eller Jesse P
Ponomarev.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
MY wish list for Pens FA is Stephenson at LW. Move Smith for a second and if Toronto doesn't offer Liljegren, he can be a depth RD. Dubas probably moves POJ as well since he was non-committal as to signing him.
Stephenson Sid Rust
Bunting Geno Rakell
Doc Hayes Puustinen
Poulin Eller Jesse P
Ponomarev.
I'm for it, but who is playing LD? Ludvig full time?

Reactions: Victor Z

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
I'm for it, but who is playing LD? Ludvig full time?

The Pens, as of a few hours from now, need to make finding a passable #1 LD is their absolute top priority. Our left side D is a joke.

Petts is way overrated but by lame Penguins standards qualifies as a "shutdown" d-man. Graves needs a defensively solid RH partner in order to be effective at all, and the closest thing we have to that is a guy who has about 6 weeks of NHL experience (how sad is that?). So Graves-St. Ivany can maybe be an adequate #3 pairing.

Ludwig can't play in the NHL. He can hit, sort of, but not actually play defense. Which means he can do one more thing than POJ can.

Several days ago people on here were ragging on Calen Addison, who recently became unemployed.

Yes, Addison sucks.

And on his worst day he is no worse than POJ. POJ (like Addison) is an "offensive" defenseman who doesn't even provide offense, and is a complete trainwreck defensively: scrawny, weak, timid and can't process the game nearly fast enough mentally with all those big guys and the puck swirling around him.

But if nobody is within 20 feet, maybe he can make a decent pass out of the d-zone. Woo hoo.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
The Pens, as of a few hours from now, need to make finding a passable #1 LD is their absolute top priority. Our left side D is a joke.

Petts is way overrated but by lame Penguins standards qualifies as a "shutdown" d-man. Graves needs a defensively solid RH partner in order to be effective at all, and the closest thing we have to that is a guy who has about 6 weeks of NHL experience (how sad is that?). So Graves-St. Ivany can maybe be an adequate #3 pairing.

Ludwig can't play in the NHL. He can hit, sort of, but not actually play defense. Which means he can do one more thing than POJ can.

Several days ago people on here were ragging on Calen Addison, who recently became unemployed.

Yes, Addison sucks.

And on his worst day he is no worse than POJ. POJ (like Addison) is an "offensive" defenseman who doesn't even provide offense, and is a complete trainwreck defensively: scrawny, weak, timid and can't process the game nearly fast enough mentally with all those big guys and the puck swirling around him.

But if nobody is within 20 feet, maybe he can make a decent pass out of the d-zone. Woo hoo.

Thanks for blessing us with your analysis.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Do you have a link?

Pittsburgh Penguins

The Penguins didn’t pick until No. 44, and Harrison Brunicke felt like a Kyle Dubas pick. He’s a smart kid and a heady two-way player who developed well this season after playing more of a depth role on the Memorial Cup hosts a year ago. He’s a good athlete with good size, and I expect him to become one of their better, more well-rounded defensemen in the WHL over the next two seasons.

I liked the selection of Tanner Howe two picks later. Howe is a great kid and a fiery competitor with above-average skill. Some wondered about him as a late-birthday, average-sized winger with fine skating, but I think his competitiveness will take him as far as his game will go, and I could see him becoming an up-and-down-the-lineup type.

Chase Pietila has a lot of work to do if he wants to play pro but has some redeeming qualities and was taken outside of the top 100, so whatever.

I thought the Penguins’ best picks of the draft were their sixth-rounder and the first of their two seventh-rounders.

Joona Vaisanen was my No. 5-ranked overager and one of the best defensemen in the USHL this season. He’s an incredibly smart player who Dubuque’s staff raves about. And Mac Swanson is one of the class’ most talented and intelligent offensive players; he’s just tiny. I won’t be surprised if he becomes a point-per-game player in college and gets signed after his junior or senior year.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019

Pittsburgh Penguins

The Penguins didn’t pick until No. 44, and Harrison Brunicke felt like a Kyle Dubas pick. He’s a smart kid and a heady two-way player who developed well this season after playing more of a depth role on the Memorial Cup hosts a year ago. He’s a good athlete with good size, and I expect him to become one of their better, more well-rounded defensemen in the WHL over the next two seasons.

I liked the selection of Tanner Howe two picks later. Howe is a great kid and a fiery competitor with above-average skill. Some wondered about him as a late-birthday, average-sized winger with fine skating, but I think his competitiveness will take him as far as his game will go, and I could see him becoming an up-and-down-the-lineup type.

Chase Pietila has a lot of work to do if he wants to play pro but has some redeeming qualities and was taken outside of the top 100, so whatever.

I thought the Penguins’ best picks of the draft were their sixth-rounder and the first of their two seventh-rounders.

Joona Vaisanen was my No. 5-ranked overager and one of the best defensemen in the USHL this season. He’s an incredibly smart player who Dubuque’s staff raves about. And Mac Swanson is one of the class’ most talented and intelligent offensive players; he’s just tiny. I won’t be surprised if he becomes a point-per-game player in college and gets signed after his junior or senior year.
Two very different grades on our draft performance, but both seem to agree on Swanson and Howe.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Pronman's grade is largely based on the quantity and brevity of draft picks. You can't have a great draft when your best pick is Howe. It's just impossible.
That’s fair. I like Wheeler’s approach of considering what players were taken considering the quantity and placement of the picks. But to Pronman’s point, it probably doesn’t move the needle much in terms of where the team’s farm system ranks across the league when we don’t even have a 1st to work with.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
That’s fair. I like Wheeler’s approach of considering what players were taken considering the quantity and placement of the picks. But to Pronman’s point, it probably doesn’t move the needle much in terms of where the team’s farm system ranks across the league when we don’t even have a 1st to work with.

Draft was fine. I'm not going to really disparage any of these players.

Half the skill is developing them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2