Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
After seeing some of the contracts handed out yesterday and Dumouling going for a 4th round pick, the Oilers will have no problem trading Ceci and will probably get a pick or two for him. Lots of teams out there who missed out on their targets in free agency and are still looking for a defender.
Guessing they have one or more prospective Ceci trade options percolating. Looking at the cap overages plus minimum qualifying offer requirements for Broberg & Holloway and the amount aligns closely with Ceci's $3.2 million cap hit on an expiring contract. Right handed d-man with quality PK minutes on a recent elite playoff run, at that price point, I believe there will be buyers.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Guessing they have one or more prospective Ceci trade options percolating. Looking at the cap overages plus minimum qualifying offer requirements for Broberg & Holloway and the amount aligns closely with Ceci's $3.2 million cap hit on an expiring contract. Right handed d-man with quality PK minutes on a recent elite playoff run, at that price point, I believe there will be buyers.
Only way they’re trading Ceci is if they have a RHD replacement lined up. I doubt they’re gonna push Broberg to play his offside in the top 4 all season long.

… I could see a Nurse trade though.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I don't believe a long list of GMs will be lining up willing to take a contract off the Oilers potential roster this offseason even if that player has value.

That leaves the club with a bit of a conundrum. If left until the last minute it will become a difficult and expensive situation to correct.

I'll believe Kane gets placed on LTIR when I see it.

The holding pattern will drive some of you mad.
One of, if not the best FAF's in Oiler history....Broberg Speed's response...

iu

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Very interesting. I’ve never seen it around before. Might have only been given to alumni members or management. Pretty cool. I’d like to see it too.
According to my sister they weren't even thinking of producing one until she requested it. She had to convince them. She really loved Coffey.

It's never been played. The download will be the first. The Oilers pissed her off before it arrived (traded some player). That's why I have it. lol

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Only way they’re trading Ceci is if they have a RHD replacement lined up. I doubt they’re gonna push Broberg to play his offside in the top 4 all season long.

… I could see a Nurse trade though.
I think they may take the qualified leap of faith. Run with a platoon 3RD with 2 of the 3 cheap free agent pick ups. Make their move for top 4 RD at trade deadline. Theoretically Stetcher and Kulak versatility could provide some 2RD insurance through regular season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think they may take the qualified leap of faith. Run with a platoon 3RD with 2 of the 3 cheap free agent pick ups. Make their move for top 4 RD at trade deadline. Theoretically Stetcher and Kulak versatility could provide some 2RD insurance through regular season.
Jackson isn’t Holland and won’t intentionally leave major roster imbalances like that. IMO anyways. Maybe he will push Broberg but I think if he’s trading Ceci he’s got a RHD in mind to replace him.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

I could see a Nurse trade though.
I wish, but that's definitely won't happen.

No one is touching that contract, especially with the amount of term left on it

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Adding a sweetener to Ceci for Adam Larsson makes a lot of sense if we are not moving Nurse. We solidify our 2nd pairing in Nurse-Larsson.

If we are moving Nurse. Adding Bourgault and a pick for Pulock would free up 3M to upgrade Ceci or Kulak. Islanders gets a "top pairing" in Nurse and Dobson

• Love
Reactions: McDoused

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
According to my sister they weren't even thinking of producing one until she requested it. She had to convince them. She really loved Coffey.

It's never been played. The download will be the first. The Oilers pissed her off before it arrived (traded some player). That's why I have it. lol
Interesting. Yeh that’s pretty rare then. Very cool.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Kulak, Broberg and Stecher can all spend time in the top four and all contribute at least as much as Ceci did. It would be well worth the 3M in cap savings. Brown and Carrick are bottom pair players. So throughout the season we might see different combos in the top four, depending on who does well. I doubt we see any one player elevated for the majority of the season unless Broberg is just unreal.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Jackson isn’t Holland and won’t intentionally leave major roster imbalances like that. IMO anyways. Maybe he will push Broberg but I think if he’s trading Ceci he’s got a RHD in mind to replace him.
I don't see a Nurse trade. They missed the biggest window for it and the most likely team Utah have made their big moves. Nurse is not waiving to go to a lottery team. Nor do I think this team's leadership group envision their window run without Nurse.

Jackson's not Holland. He's an analytic minded risk taker with major cajones as we've seen with his hires. This is a really deep, stacked team that can run with some risk. The cap overage lines up closely with Ceci's salary/cap hit. In a Jackson (or even Holland) world I don't think that's a coincidence.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't see a Nurse trade. They missed the biggest window for it and the most likely team Utah have made their big moves. Nurse is not waiving to go to a lottery team. Nor do I think this team's leadership group envision their window run without Nurse.

Jackson's not Holland. He's an analytic minded risk taker with major cajones as we've seen with his hires. This is a really deep, stacked team that can run with some risk. The cap overage lines up closely with Ceci's salary/cap hit. In a Jackson (or even Holland) world I don't think that's a coincidence.
The cap overage also lines up closely with Kane on LTIR.

That’s the move. I’d be surprised if they trade Ceci without a replacement in mind.

… I will say that I think they might try Stecher as that replacement.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I wonder if you could make deal with the Habs for Nurse?

They have a ton of young defensemen and few Vets to support them, and a couple depth players they might want to jettison.

If Nurse would waive

To MTL: Nurse, McLeod, Bourgault, 2027 1st

To EDM: Dvorak and Armia

Then flip Armia with a 2026 3rd to Anaheim for Futures.

Reactions: McDoused

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
I feel like Arvy chose us before July 1st. Said Ekholm had convinced him early, there was definitely backchannels occurring. This is a perfect spot for him.

Yet he negotiated with the Flames, to point their reporters said they felt they had him. He took less to try and win, so it's hard to believe the Flames were ever an option, other than to obscure the thing that had happened imo. Hilarious.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I'm down if they are. Not too many teams have players that stick to their drafting team for their entire career anymore. Hopefully Leon and Connor are the Crosby types.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanchez

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The cap overage also lines up closely with Kane on LTIR.

That’s the move. I’d be surprised if they trade Ceci without a replacement in mind.

… I will say that I think they might try Stecher as that replacement.
I don't think they will LTIR Kane. I thought that initially. But don't think this team is going to lock itself from accruing cap to use at this critical trade deadline. Move Ceci for a pick and bank approximately $500,000 to a million or so (haven't done specific calculation) and grow that to weaponize at the deadline.

This is a reasonably versatile d-corp with Broberg and Kulak flexible to play either side (and have done so at absolute peak level of pressure competition) along with an experienced Stetcher who had played second pair on bad teams. Stay the course with high work rate on team defending, PK and system play, this team has to be good enough to insulate a second pair RD until deadline where barring injury elsewhere it can be a surgical final piece with cap accrued all season.

Reactions: jukon

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think they will LTIR Kane. I thought that initially. But don't think this team is going to lock itself from accruing cap to use at this critical trade deadline. Move Ceci for a pick and bank approximately $500,000 to a million or so (haven't done specific calculation) and grow that to weaponize at the deadline.

This is a reasonably versatile d-corp with Broberg and Kulak flexible to play either side (and have done so at absolute peak level of pressure competition) along with an experienced Stetcher who had played second pair on bad teams. Stay the course with high work rate on team defending, PK and system play, this team has to be good enough to insulate a second pair RD until deadline where barring injury elsewhere it can be a surgical final piece with cap accrued all season.
Nothing is stopping them from putting Kane on LTIR and then trading Ceci + at the deadline for an upgrade. This way you keep your defense as strong as possible for the entire season.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Adding a sweetener to Ceci for Adam Larsson makes a lot of sense if we are not moving Nurse. We solidify our 2nd pairing in Nurse-Larsson.

If we are moving Nurse. Adding Bourgault and a pick for Pulock would free up 3M to upgrade Ceci or Kulak. Islanders gets a "top pairing" in Nurse and Dobson
As much as we would all love that it’s not happening he left because he couldn’t live where his dad died

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad