Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The Penguins aren't deep enough anywhere to be picking anyone other than best available. The have a couple goalies, but those guys take so long to develop you're 5 years away from any hypothetical log jam on the off chance they all hit.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The Penguins aren't deep enough anywhere to be picking anyone other than best available. The have a couple goalies, but those guys take so long to develop you're 5 years away from any hypothetical log jam on the off chance they all hit.
i feel they think their goalie of the future is already in the system. as for the best available, i want homerun swings not safe bets.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Surprised Chernyshov didn’t go yet. Must be a contract concern or something.

1719665076869.png

Epic Neal Time

Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

View attachment 889242

Per Pronman on The Athletic Hockey Show pod, he got sunburnt in FLA and couldn't skate at Dan Milstein's showcase for the Russian prospects last week and that turned some teams off. It sounds crazy but when these guys overvalue character so badly I can believe it.

Reactions: Jacob

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
No, GMs pass on skilled guys all the time. Chernyshov’s game is comparable to JJ Peterka. Another guy who didn’t got in the 1st for….reasons… and he’s doing just fine. NHL teams are just dumb quite a bit when it comes to the draft.

Epic Neal Time

Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
They almost have to swing for upside. If you're talking the next gen of Penguins, you need a new core. You ain't getting into the top 5 when 87 is around. So if you want to be contending before 87 retires, you go for the Artamonov's and Hutson's of the world.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
No, GMs pass on skilled guys all the time. Chernyshov’s game is comparable to JJ Peterka. Another guy who didn’t got in the 1st for….reasons… and he’s doing just fine. NHL teams are just dumb quite a bit when it comes to the draft.
Russians fall all the time. he's a guy i wouldn't mind moving up for. ritchie is another

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Per Pronman on The Athletic Hockey Show pod, he got sunburnt in FLA and couldn't skate at Dan Milstein's showcase for the Russian prospects last week and that turned some teams off. It sounds crazy but when these guys overvalue character so badly I can believe it.
Don't worry, Washington will somehow take him the pick right before us if he's still on the board.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I understand the idea that we should just take BPA because we need prospect depth everywhere. Yes and no, though. We have two very important early second rounders. We need to draft for upside for sure. If those upside guys are centers or right defensemen, even better.

These two players are potential heir apparents to Crosby, Malkin, Letang or Karlsson. Sure, we will need heirs to Rust, Rakell, too. It is just not as important. Left defense makes sense too, since our three current guys have questions around them (Pettersson final year, Joseph RFA, Graves needs to rebound). I would not take a goaltender until the last round.

That all said, there is talent on the board. I am all for drafting Cole Hutson. If he can play right defense, awesome. If not, awesome. He has what it takes to eventually be our next Karlsson, imo. Teddy Stiga is another guy I want badly. Can he play center? Hopefully. If not, awesome. Both of these guys can be slow-cooked to maximize potential.

Justin Poirier is not big, nor is he a center. But damn he can score. So, if they decide to swing for this fence, I am all for it. Brunicke, I like. Mews, I like. Need + upside picks as RDs. If they decide to go with a giant like Jesse Pulkkinen, I would not be upset. Bet on his size-talent combination and hope he becomes that elusive shutdown D that this organization has rarely had.

Later in the draft, I would go heavy on Russians and other euros. Two players who intrigue me quite a bit are Aatos Koivu, Saku's son. I have a feeling he would be gone before the fourth round. The other is Alexander Zetterberg, a smallish Swedish center with a lot of offensive ability. That to me looks like a Dave Kingman-style swing for the fences.

Let's go!

hell we can't even get a screen in front of the opposing goalie here, let alone the sun.

Who is the Czech Kevin Stevens? Anybody out there?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I understand the idea that we should just take BPA because we need prospect depth everywhere. Yes and no, though. We have two very important early second rounders. We need to draft for upside for sure. If those upside guys are centers or right defensemen, even better.

These two players are potential heir apparents to Crosby, Malkin, Letang or Karlsson. Sure, we will need heirs to Rust, Rakell, too. It is just not as important. Left defense makes sense too, since our three current guys have questions around them (Pettersson final year, Joseph RFA, Graves needs to rebound). I would not take a goaltender until the last round.

That all said, there is talent on the board. I am all for drafting Cole Hutson. If he can play right defense, awesome. If not, awesome. He has what it takes to eventually be our next Karlsson, imo. Teddy Stiga is another guy I want badly. Can he play center? Hopefully. If not, awesome. Both of these guys can be slow-cooked to maximize potential.

Justin Poirier is not big, nor is he a center. But damn he can score. So, if they decide to swing for this fence, I am all for it. Brunicke, I like. Mews, I like. Need + upside picks as RDs. If they decide to go with a giant like Jesse Pulkkinen, I would not be upset. Bet on his size-talent combination and hope he becomes that elusive shutdown D that this organization has rarely had.

Later in the draft, I would go heavy on Russians and other euros. Two players who intrigue me quite a bit are Aatos Koivu, Saku's son. I have a feeling he would be gone before the fourth round. The other is Alexander Zetterberg, a smallish Swedish center with a lot of offensive ability. That to me looks like a Dave Kingman-style swing for the fences.

Let's go!

Who is the Czech Kevin Stevens? Anybody out there?
Jags, I think we might have a John Stevens in the stockroom, let me check.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Place he’s lived his whole life doesn’t even break 80 degrees. Then got thrown into Florida in June :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00