Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Muggli does very little for me. An undersized two-way defenseman who shoots left is fine, but I would hope that is not our selection with either 2nd rounder.

Pulkkinen is the type of player I would like to draft (IF we are not drafting a RD or C) because his improvement this season and his size are appealing. And he is turning 20 at the end of the calendar year. Nice.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I’m starting to warm up to taking Zam’s brother Max Plante. Total boom or bust. He’s either gonna be a top 6 offensive threat or nothing but might as well swing for the fences with these 2nds.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I’m starting to warm up to taking Zam’s brother Max Plante. Total boom or bust. He’s either gonna be a top 6 offensive threat or nothing but might as well swing for the fences with these 2nds.

Elite prospects says he is a cerebral player. I never say no to that.

If either Plante turns into their dad, I would be happy.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pulkkinen sounds like one of those guys who gets snagged very early in the 2nd round by a team with multiple high picks.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
With the Maatta thread getting bumped, seeing Pulkkinen talk made me think an ancient prospects thread also got bumped. :laugh:

Anyway, still bummed the team couldn't jump up to snag McGroarty. Rumor has it the Jets are dangling him, and I hope Dubas is staying in contact. Yager and McGroarty is a real solid couple of pieces in place to getting a head start on the post-Sid chapter.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
With the Maatta thread getting bumped, seeing Pulkkinen talk made me think an ancient prospects thread also got bumped. :laugh:

Anyway, still bummed the team couldn't jump up to snag McGroarty. Rumor has it the Jets are dangling him, and I hope Dubas is staying in contact. Yager and McGroarty is a real solid couple of pieces in place to getting a head start on the post-Sid chapter.

You'd probably be offering Yager + for McGroarty tbh.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You'd probably be offering Yager + for McGroarty tbh.
Maybe, but if you could somehow figure out how to get it done without next year's 1st or Yager going the other way, that'd be the kind of move that'd make me actually stop caring about Dubas' dogshit tenure thus far.

I think Winnipeg probably wants a 1st in the 10-15 range though as a starter, and while I think that's probably fair for both sides, Dubas would have to get top-10 protection on it again. I'm not optimistic that a 37 year old Sid is gonna keep up his >PPG seasons.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the only way we get in on McGroarty is via a three-way trade, with players like Jarry and Smith going to a third party, and that team giving up the futures Winnipeg (I assume) would want.

Detroit is probably that team, but they are also probably the team likeliest to land McGroarty because of the Michigan roots.

I don't think McGroarty is plausible.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

Usually McKenzie is still pretty spot in right?
His final rankings may be an indicator on whos gonna be there when we pick +/- 10 or so picks in both directions (actually its +1000 upwards ofc since we could pick anyone still left, but you get the point)

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

His final rankings may be an indicator on whos gonna be there when we pick +/- 10 or so picks in both directions (actually its +1000 upwards ofc since we could pick anyone still left, but you get the point)
We should be able to get 2 decent prospects with our 2 picks in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah in terms of where the top cohort of guys will be drafted, McKenzie is a great resource. Its just a poll of team scouts so basically a “consensus” list from pro scouts.

Not indicative of how players will turn out though.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Watched some tape, read some articles, and now my very uninformed brain is into the idea of picking this Alfons Freij kid if he’s there

also like Badinka and Stiga and Miettinen. All ranked in 40s by Bob Mack except Badinka who is 29th.

Take it with a grain of salt

Reactions: lokomotiv15

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
Releasing my draft endorsement list for 44/46 tonight. Or, as I like to call it, "The John Mustard Experience."

Ultimately, Dubas will probably draft Ben Danford and I'll want to drink bleach.

Watched some tape, read some articles, and now my very uninformed brain is into the idea of picking this Alfons Freij kid if he’s there

also like Badinka and Stiga and Miettinen. All ranked in 40s by Bob Mack except Badinka who is 29th.

Take it with a grain of salt

I'll see your Alfons Freij and raise you Henry Mews. If you have time, everyone should stop what they're doing and go watch Henry Mews highlights. Then ask yourself, "Do I care if he actually plays any defense." I predict the answer will be, "No, I do not care."

Stiga is unreal, but his stock is rising in a superhuman manner. I'd be shocked if he made it to the 44th.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Releasing my draft endorsement list for 44/46 tonight. Or, as I like to call it, "The John Mustard Experience."

Ultimately, Dubas will probably draft Ben Danford and I'll want to drink bleach.

I'll see your Alfons Freij and raise you Henry Mews. If you have time, everyone should stop what they're doing and go watch Henry Mews highlights. Then ask yourself, "Do I care if he actually plays any defense." I predict the answer will be, "No, I do not care."

Stiga is unreal, but his stock is rising in a superhuman manner. I'd be shocked if he made it to the 44th.

Yeah, ultimately if they make a “safe” pick with a high floor low ceiling, it’ll be another reason to get sad about Dubas lol…

lokomotiv15

Jul 14, 2012
London, ontario

I like Henry Mews; Decent size, obviously a fantastic skater with good offensive instincts, but I think his point totals are a bit inflated from being able to defer a lot of his offensive looks to Luca Pinelli.

He makes good instinctual plays and obviously has good o-zone awareness, but makes a lot of high risk plays on dishes from the wall to high or vice-versa. Nice thing is, even if his plays are higher risk than reward often enough, he makes his decisions quickly in every zone.

I also find his defense is better than people give him credit for. Not saying he's a pro level defender by any means, but he is head up enough with more than enough lateral agility to relieve himself from pressure to clean up and break out. Does definitely leave a bit to be desired positionally in his own zone on a press.

He also has played entire games at forward this season for Ottawa, which is sure to jank up a few things here and there.

Stiga would be a dream to fall to us but Mews is definitely and interesting pick that I wouldn't be disappointed with.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
II also find his defense is better than people give him credit for. Not saying he's a pro level defender by any means, but he is head up enough with more than enough lateral agility to relieve himself from pressure to clean up and break out. Does definitely leave a bit to be desired positionally in his own zone on a press.

Agree with everything you said here. The stuff he showcases with his edgework, lateral movements, and sort of sideways jukes he pulls off make him the most interesting skater in the class to me.

Reactions: lokomotiv15

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Also, Pittsburgh has Nick Pryor.
Yep. Hextall installment (son of Chris) and was in Philly with dad for a long time

maybe you can provide more color on the rest of the staff but IMO you can get an idea of this staff’s draft acumen by essentially looking at Pryor senior’s work in Philly (that Hextall signed off on).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad