Rumor: Pittsburgh interested in Mangiapane and Wahlstrom

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah I think they are moving him so we can have room in the top 9 for Coronato, Pospisil, Kuz, Sharongovich, Coleman and Huberdeau.

He’s a solid middle sixer who can play tough minutes. If the Flames retain 50% I could see someone giving up a second.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think the play is to move him at the TDL. I don't see us getting more than a late round pick for him at full cap hit right now. At the TDL I think if we retain 50% we'll get a 2nd+ something small.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Mangiapane is underrated.

Many folks are willing to throw 5/6 x 5.5M at a guy like Debrusk without hesitation..

At 2.9M (50%) he's easily worth multiple picks.. likely 2 2nd's.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Dack

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
I think people are underestimating Mangiapane here. He’s a high-energy winger that’s been used pretty much exclusively on Calgary’s shutdown line for like 5 years now. He has a sneaky good release on his shot and he could put up some good numbers next to an actual playmaker. I realize the stats aren’t encouraging and he’s probably overpaid, but he’s exactly the kind of player that Pittsburgh could use.

Look, I like Mangiapane and think he gets underrated as well, but there has been something wrong with his release the last two seasons. I've never seen a player double clutch on more shot attempts.

If he can fix it, he'll be worth every penny of that contract.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The team is doing a soft rebuild without explicitly saying it.

Dubas is trying to keep the Penguins near a playoff team while rebuilding their awful prospect pool. They're not going to be spending any more 1sts on win-now pieces, they're going to be going for these kind of under the radar acquisitions while hoping they can outperform their contract or acquisition cost.

It's pretty much the same thing Washington is doing.

Yep that is Dubas's MO alright

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Dubas can have Wahlstrom. He comes with lack of awareness on the ice and the inability to skate at a speed faster than Ryan Reeves.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If we're retaining half I want a first or like 2 seconds.

Overpaid at the moment but he's a defensively sound winger that scores well at even strength.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Look, I like Mangiapane and think he gets underrated as well, but there has been something wrong with his release the last two seasons. I've never seen a player double clutch on more shot attempts.

If he can fix it, he'll be worth every penny of that contract.

He played through 2022-2023 on a bum shoulder. I don't know how long shoulder surgery typically takes to recover fully from (difference between return to play and being back to normal/better). He got surgery in that off season and I expected he was still slowly getting back to normal in 2023-2024. His PPG was up in 2023-2024 even though he didn't play all 82 games like he did in 2022-2023.

I think we will find out the answer in the coming season.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Now that Calgary traded Markstrom, I actually wonder if Jarry could be a fit for them in a Mangiapane type of deal. I don't think Calgary would have any interest in trading picks or prospects for Jarry, but what about something like Jarry and Smith for Mangiapane and Vladar?

I think Flames fans have mentioned that they don't need wingers though, which makes it a bit more complicated.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lol Dubas is gonna keep causing chaos in Pittsburgh... Unreal the things he does always
How exactly are these moves (or just the reported interest) causing chaos? I don't understand.

Penguins need a new LW / Top 6 wing.

They want to add youth on the cheap.

These seem like reasonable moves that would keep them out of the inflated prices of free agency.

Isles fan - Penguins have a Wahlstrom in Bemstrom. Didn't quite work for us as hoped. Hell of an AHL player at the very least. Swap 1:1? I figure both values are similar at that 4th/5th range.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Now that Calgary traded Markstrom, I actually wonder if Jarry could be a fit for them in a Mangiapane type of deal. I don't think Calgary would have any interest in trading picks or prospects for Jarry, but what about something like Jarry and Smith for Mangiapane and Vladar?

I think Flames fans have mentioned that they don't need wingers though, which makes it a bit more complicated.

Why would Pittsburgh be moving on from Jarry?

Reactions: nashnaidoo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would Pittsburgh be moving on from Jarry?

I feel the Penguins and Jarry have a bit of a rocky relationship right now, between how the season ended last year (Jarry was benched for Nedjelkovic) and how the two sides seem to disagree on how Jarry's year went (Dubas said he wants to see better, Jarry thought he had a good year).

Not only that, but they have Blomqvist in the AHL who looks like he'll be their new long-term starter within a year or two.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I feel the Penguins and Jarry have a bit of a rocky relationship right now, between how the season ended last year (Jarry was benched for Nedjelkovic) and how the two sides seem to disagree on how Jarry's year went (Dubas said he wants to see better, Jarry thought he had a good year).

Not only that, but they have Blomqvist in the AHL who looks like he'll be their new long-term starter within a year or two.

It's an interesting idea and trade conversation to be had. Not sure we want Smith. I think we'd rather try and ask for futures and retain on Mangiapane than take on wingers that block prospect graduation like Smith.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Because he lacks consistency and falls apart after the All-Star break and is anus in the playoffs.

As mentioned, a basis of mangiapane + Vladar for Jarry is worth discussing. Although I'm not sure why Pittsburgh wouldn't be thinking they can get better offers for Jarry from the other teams desperate for goaltending, then using those assets/cap space to acquire Mangiapane.

I feel like Pittsburgh wouldn't get full value if chatting with the Flames.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we take on Vladar I guess next season we roll with Ned/Vladar assuming we re-sign Ned. Just getting rid of Jarry would be amazing. For as good as he is the first few months of the season, he totally blows it at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad