Dreger: Edmonton has offered Ken Holland another position within the Organization. Not part of drafting in Vegas though.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Zach Hyman is not going to score 16 playoff goals again. I don't know what to tell you.
he's also never going to score 54 regular season goals again. the cope and overrating of hyman is insane here - he is playing with the best playmaker since 99 lol.

What should shatter your worldview is that McDavid is Crosby, he's going to produce with literally anyone.

So maybe Holland should've gone all in on what Edmonton really needed - a goalie.

But he's Ken Holland and he doesn't do the right thing.
he did go all in on a goalie.. it just unfortunately was Jack Campbell..

As much as everyone wants to pump his tires about Hyman's deal.. he signed Jack Campbell to one of the worst deals of all time perhaps lol. Value probably equals out, if they had invested that money in a real #1 instead of Campbell (then relying on skinner) - they mightve won a cup

Reactions: Voight

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Good move by the Oilers, he can help call the shots from behind the scene without retribution from the fans.

It’s been rumoured he hasn’t even been fully calling the shots since Jackson’s arrival. I think we’re 100% safe from this happening.

Even watching Holland speak on the off season and deadline moves he states he was in constant discussions with Jackson. Knob and Brown both had JJ hands all over it.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Wasn’t Holland considering retiring anyways? Wasn’t Jackson brought in early in the year to take over from Holland?

Wasn’t this the plan the whole time? Holland wanted Jackson to take over.
Jackson was hired and in that role immediately became Holland’s boss. Holland had zero to do in hiring his own boss. The fact that he hasn’t been offered an extension and has in fact, been rumoured for other league openings, ie CBJ, suggests it wasn’t his desire or plan for Jackson to “take over”.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
I believe the point he was making is that Hyman's assists went down because McDavid hasn't been able to shoot the puck all year, so his goal scoring was cut in half.

McDavid, being McDavid, adapted and put up 100 assists instead which obviously helped Hyman get 50+ goals to compensate for the drop in assists.

And my point was that most of Connor McDavid's goals are created by himself. This isn't Datsyuk-and-Abdelkader territory but it's leaning in that direction.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They shouldn't be, but the Oilers have a ton of respect for legacy and the perception is that the Oilers were one step away from a Cup under Holland's tenure when the truth is they were one step away from a cup *in spite* of Holland.
Holland made his errors but the Holland guys ...the entire 3rd line, Hyman, Ekholm, Broberg later, Holloway, Kulak, even Foegele later in the Florida series all played prominent roles in the run.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
This is tremendous news. Holland drafting has been bad for the past 10 years. I am glad he is nowhere near the drafting table

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
he's also never going to score 54 regular season goals again. the cope and overrating of hyman is insane here - he is playing with the best playmaker since 99 lol.

As much as everyone wants to pump his tires about Hyman's deal.. he signed Jack Campbell to one of the worst deals of all time perhaps lol. Value probably equals out, if they had invested that money in a real #1 instead of Campbell (then relying on skinner) - they mightve won a cup

Skinner is just fine and played at a #1 caliber for most of the playoffs. However, that money could have been used to upgrade D or even a 2nd line winger

When you look at the goalie situation as a whole, it was handled so poorly. Oilers had a rookie Skinner and Koskinen. They rode Koskinen for whatever reason, and Skinner got games only here and there. They could have auditioned Skinner that year and seen what they have with him. He could have proven himself and then Oielrs not needed to spend big on Campbell

Instead the team was left with an unknown in net and needed to make a big play for a goalie. Mistake #2 was going after Campbell, who literally had 1 really hot stretch and was average the rest

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Jackson was hired and in that role immediately became Holland’s boss. Holland had zero to do in hiring his own boss. The fact that he hasn’t been offered an extension and has in fact, been rumoured for other league openings, ie CBJ, suggests it wasn’t his desire or plan for Jackson to “take over”.
I remember hearing Friedman talk about it, saying Holland was on board with it and I thought he said there was an assumed transition at some point.

Why would he have zero role in hiring his boss? Holland is old, knows everyone and knows he isn’t staying forever and presumably wants a good person in that role.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Holland made his errors but the Holland guys ...the entire 3rd line, Hyman, Ekholm, Broberg later, Holloway, Kulak, even Foegele later in the Florida series all played prominent roles in the run.
Yeah, Holland did a lot of good work undoing the damage that Chiarelli did to the franchise.

He made some mistakes, but he took the Oilers from out of the playoffs to the finals.

• Haha
Reactions: Artemi Panarin

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Skinner is just fine and played at a #1 caliber for most of the playoffs. However, that money could have been used to upgrade D or even a 2nd line winger

When you look at the goalie situation as a whole, it was handled so poorly. Oilers had a rookie Skinner and Koskinen. They rode Koskinen for whatever reason, and Skinner got games only here and there. They could have auditioned Skinner that year and seen what they have with him. He could have proven himself and then Oielrs not needed to spend big on Campbell

Instead the team was left with an unknown in net and needed to make a big play for a goalie. Mistake #2 was going after Campbell, who literally had 1 really hot stretch and was average the rest

Let's also not forget Mike Smith.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Hyperbole much?

There are 2-3 similar goalie contracts currently on the books.

The value doesn't equal out at all. The Campbell contract can be mitigated, and the Hyman contract is insane value.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Unbelievable disrespect to Ken Holland!!!

He brought in Ekholm, Hyman, Janmark, Connor Brown, Foegele. All these guys crucial to the Cup run because Draisaitl doesn't know how to handle playoff pressure yet.
Agree. Yes, the Nurse and Campbell contracts were beyond bad, but people are talking like he is completely inept. No GM is going to have a perfect record, and even if perhaps they need some fresh and younger perspective (not always a good thing, but I digress), I don't think his contributions should be maligned to the point where it insinuates he did nothing right. Certainly if the Oilers want a different drafting strategy, they can definitely pull in different people to assist, but Holland's experience has been of tremendous value, despite some bad contracts.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I remember hearing Friedman talk about it, saying Holland was on board with it and I thought he said there was an assumed transition at some point.

Why would he have zero role in hiring his boss? Holland is old, knows everyone and knows he isn’t staying forever and presumably wants a good person in that role.
If your boss resigns, would you get to hire your new boss?

I can understand the organization wanting to ensure compatability with existing employees up and down the org ladder to the point of even seeking input in that sense , but I’ve never encountered an org that say hey staff member, please hire your own boss. That would be f***ed up.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lol why do people care so much that McDavid “GMs” the team. First of all it’s not true.

And second of all if it is true, he’s been a great GM. Let’s assume McD actually drove the busses on these moves:

Knoblauch hire - worked like charm. Best coach in the McD era.

Hyman signing - best signing of all time

Brown - finally became a great player for the Oil and helped us win in the playoffs. If he resigns for cheap another huge win for GM Connor.

I mean, two of those three guys have ties to McJesus going back to juniors ;)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If your boss resigns, would you get to hire your new boss?

I can understand the organization wanting to ensure compatability with existing employees up and down the org ladder to the point of even seeking input in that sense , but I’ve never encountered an org that say hey staff member, please hire your own boss. That would be f***ed up.
I didn’t say he hired him, I said they had open communication about it and it sounded like Holland was fine with it. Maybe even had some input. It was presumed back then this was Jackson’s team and Holland would be working with him on every decision since Jackson was hired.

Holland is a class act, and someone who wouldn’t be worried about getting fired and getting in the way of a new hire just because down the road it may lead to him moving on. They’ve known for a long time his contract is up, and they likely knee the outcome of that before Jackson was even hired. It was said Holland gets a lot of respect in the organization.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
Agree. Yes, the Nurse and Campbell contracts were beyond bad, but people are talking like he is completely inept. No GM is going to have a perfect record, and even if perhaps they need some fresh and younger perspective (not always a good thing, but I digress), I don't think his contributions should be maligned to the point where it insinuates he did nothing right. Certainly if the Oilers want a different drafting strategy, they can definitely pull in different people to assist, but Holland's experience has been of tremendous value, despite some bad contracts.
Flip side:
The Oilers failed to make the SCF in the past 3 years when they had the best 2 players on the planet, because of a poorly constructed roster that was almost entirely Hollands fault.

Even this year, the Oilers faced the absolute easiest road to the WCF in very long time. The Oil lose Game 7 to the Canucks against the back up goalie, that is a massive failure

The only really good signing was Hyman. All other moves, even Ekholm, are trades/signings any compotent GM should be doing

Holland was not a terrible Gm, but he was merely OK. Merely OK is only going ot get you some moderate playoff success, its not going to get you cups

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
He didn’t waste that many high picks.

Broberg is going to be a legit top 4D for decade. Already able to handle playoff minutes and was the best defenceman in the AHL this year.

Holloway showed he could play top 6 and score in big games.

A first and Shaeffer were traded for Ekholm.

So essentially he’s like 4 for 4 for getting value out of his first round picks. Actually 4 for 5 if you include Bourgault who does look like a miss but he was a late first rounder, but his story isn’t over, there’s still a chance he could be player.
2 2nds for 3 months of AA
2nd and 3rd to move Kassian?

2023 top pick 56 no more picks till 184
2022 top traded next picks 158.190, 222
2021 The traded the pick that the Wild used on Wallstadt for 22 and 90--that trade was bad
2020--Hallway at 14 next picks at 100
2019- 4 of the 6 picks have already left the organization. Broberg has ben up and down and the Oiler faithful are praying Lavoie figures how to take the next step.

Oilers do not have many guys on ELC that look anywhere near NHL ready.

Reactions: Voight

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

2021 The traded the pick that the Wild used on Wallstadt for 22 and 90--that trade was bad
2019- 4 of the 6 picks have already left the organization. Broberg has ben up and down and the Oiler faithful are praying Lavoie figures how to take the next step.

I said high picks which was clear in my post that I meant first rounders.

But yes the AA trade was bad. Kassian was a necessary cap dump.

The rest of what you posted youd have to look at why those picks were missing otherwise a pointless excercise. A lot of it draft related too that doesn’t have a final story.

Considering we are a team that went to Game 7 of the SCFs. Having Broberg and Holloway as incoming cheap, young, and good depth is a good thing. Most teams that get that close to the Cup don’t have those types of players in the pipeline.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

you could literally make a similar list for every team in the NHL. everyone makes good and bad moves

i'm not defending all of hollands moves but at the end of the day, the oilers have been a contender for the last 3 seasons and have the space to bring back a similar team next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad