Proposal: Pitt-Dal-Tor 3 way

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
I still remember the old days when Beau Bennett was also "future top 6 winger" who was going to surpass JVR in a few seasons.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
No interest at all as a Leaf fan. I have no doubt JVR could fetch a better prospect than Sprong. Or at the very least a prospect that plays a position we lack depth in. The picks are nice, but in all likelihood very late.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So:

JVR + Lehtonen

for

MAF, Kunitz, Sprong, 2nd

No from the Penguins POV. Lehtonen is a big downgrade from MAF and costs more for the next 2 years. Giving away a young asset like Sprong and another 2nd to boot to add in JVR, sorry, Penguins say no. Would be great to get JVR and all...but no.

Cap doesn't work either.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Zero interest in taking on Lehtonen in any capacity. Nor do I have any interest in moving Sprong, our top forward prospect and best forward prospect that we've had in years, to facilitate this deal. Even if it means getting JVR. We've already mortgaged enough of our future.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
To Pitt:
JVR
Lehtonen

To Dal:
Fleury
Kunitz

To Tor:
Sprong
Dallas 1st 17'
Pitt 2nd 17'

*Pitt gets a top line LW and can protect Murray in expansion draft
*Dal gets a better goalie and a veteran winger to solidify a cup run
*Tor gets a good wing prospect and 1st, 2nd round picks

God that's awful for Pittsburgh. We move a 2nd, Sprong, MAF and Kunitz all for 2 years of JVR and an extremely overpriced backup in Lehtonen?

Yeah PIT laughs and says **** no.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
God that's awful for Pittsburgh. We move a 2nd, Sprong, MAF and Kunitz all for 2 years of JVR and an extremely overpriced backup in Lehtonen?

Yeah PIT laughs and says **** no.

Didn't you read? Lehtonen is better than MAF :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Lehtonen is a downgrade from MAF but its not as big a downgrade as some Pittsburgh fans make it out to be. The important part his one less year .

The way the goalie market is you can't expect to get good value back for MAF.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lehtonen is a downgrade from MAF but its not as big a downgrade as some Pittsburgh fans make it out to be. The important part his one less year .

Actually... yes there's a pretty big difference between MAF and Lehtonen. Also, why is that of any importance to PIT? MAF isn't an issue after the expansion draft, at which point 2 or 3 years doesn't matter. The issue is MAF's NMC and Murray being eligible.

But that doesn't change the fact that this is still a very ****** offer for Pittsburgh (not to mention that it's not cap compliant).

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
So:

JVR + Lehtonen

for

MAF, Kunitz, Sprong, 2nd

No from the Penguins POV. Lehtonen is a big downgrade from MAF and costs more for the next 2 years. Giving away a young asset like Sprong and another 2nd to boot to add in JVR, sorry, Penguins say no. Would be great to get JVR and all...but no.

Cap doesn't work either.

Actually... yes there's a pretty big difference between MAF and Lehtonen. Also, why is that of any importance to PIT? MAF isn't an issue after the expansion draft, at which point 2 or 3 years doesn't matter. The issue is MAF's NMC and Murray being eligible.

But that doesn't change the fact that this is still a very ****** offer for Pittsburgh (not to mention that it's not cap compliant).

Why doesn't the cap work, Dupuis is going on LTIR no? Doesn't that give the Pens something like $1.45 million more to play with, or am I missing something?

*I very well might be missing something, curious if so.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why doesn't the cap work, Dupuis is going on LTIR no? Doesn't that give the Pens something like $1.45 million more to play with, or am I missing something?

*I very well might be missing something, curious if so.

It's closer to 1.2m in cap space.

Pittsburgh has made an offer to Cullen. There's no way they'd make a move that is that awful that would also prohibit them from signing Cullen. Which means any deals PIT does more or less needs to be cap neutral - this offer is adding 550k, which means PIT wouldn't have the cap space to sign Cullen unless he took even less then what he did last year (Rutherford has already gone on record of saying they offered him more than last year).

Now if you're talking about a deal that is actually good for Pittsburgh, then yeah maybe Rutherford would make a move that would prohibit them from signing Cullen... but the OPs offer is far from good - for anyone really, which is rather impressive seeing how he's a Pen fan and one can usually make a 3 way work half ass decently for at least one of the teams. So to **** up all 3 is impressive.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
It's closer to 1.2m in cap space.

Pittsburgh has made an offer to Cullen. There's no way they'd make a move that is that awful that would also prohibit them from signing Cullen. Which means any deals PIT does more or less needs to be cap neutral - this offer is adding 550k, which means PIT wouldn't have the cap space to sign Cullen unless he took even less then what he did last year (Rutherford has already gone on record of saying they offered him more than last year).

Now if you're talking about a deal that is actually good for Pittsburgh, then yeah maybe Rutherford would make a move that would prohibit them from signing Cullen... but the OPs offer is far from good - for anyone really, which is rather impressive seeing how he's a Pen fan and one can usually make a 3 way work half ass decently for at least one of the teams. So to **** up all 3 is impressive.

Yeah, my curiosity just came from a place of wanting to understand the Pens cap situation as opposed to saying they should in any way consider this deal. So I appreciate the insight.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
I don't see the leafs interested in this deal. Moving a top line power winger for a prospect that might be a 2nd line winger if he develops, what would probably be a late first round pick and late second round pick.

If that all a top line winger (on a good deal) gets me and I'm the leafs I pass.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
This is unusual at best. All three teams don't like the trade, To add to it, all posters were respectful. We all must be burned out lol. My honest POV as a Pens fan. This trade doesn't really help anyone, possibly Dallas depending on how you feel about MAF.

Lehtonen just makes way too much money for way to long for it be a possibility on a contender unless Dallas wants to eat half his contract which, they won't. A deal around Nem would make more sense for the Pens to make salary work since he is under contract for only a year if a deal could be in place. Pretty much what has been talked about Nem + for MAF would make the salary cap work for both teams and the Pens get a good asset added in for the trade.

JRV would be amazing for the Pens but when his contract would be up in what 2 years I believe ? we are screwed.

To the OP I could see a 3 way trade that could make sense for all three clubs but this isn't it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Sounds like everybody hates it.

Valuewise I'm not sure how bad it is, but it doesn't make sense to Toronto

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Only way Toronto agrees is if tanking is the agenda this coming season and I doubt it is.
Sprong = another in a long list of winger prospects
Dallas 1st, 25-30 range
Pittsburgh 2nd, 50-60 range.
That's really not good for their only experienced 1st line winger on a good contract.

This. The last thing we need is more winger prospects and more picks. We have plenty of both. If we're moving JVR we need a dman who has some potential. This deal does nothing for us.

mwalluk

Jul 2, 2009
PLEASE STOP MAKING PROPOSALS!

Take a look at your last few proposals, ALL BAD.

To Pitt:
JVR
Lehtonen

To Dal:
Fleury
Kunitz

To Tor:
Sprong
Dallas 1st 17'
Pitt 2nd 17'

*Pitt gets a top line LW and can protect Murray in expansion draft
*Dal gets a better goalie and a veteran winger to solidify a cup run
*Tor gets a good wing prospect and 1st, 2nd round picks

If the flyers and schenn can't reach a deal.

To Pitt:
B. Schenn

To Wpg:
O. Maatta

To Phi:
N. Ehlers
2017 2nd (Wpg)
2017 3rd (Pitt)

Maybe I'm higher than most on Pouliot but I believe he can and should make the jump to top 4 D, and we did pretty well in playoffs when Maatta wasn't in the line up. I think a top 6 LW is a greater need of ours

I think this fills a need for both teams.

Trouba
Connor

For

Maatta
Pouliot
2017 2nd

Solves the Jets LHD problems and both are on great contracts, they have plenty of W depth. Pitt gets a good RHD and Connor can jump in the top 6 which needs help on the wings.

Though rivals I think a trade could be made. Rangers D could use a boost and Pens wingers could use a boost.

D. Pouliot

For

JT Miller or K. Hayes

I say Miller or Hayes because I'm not entirely sure of how they are valued but I believe either one is fair

What would your team offer to have the great 8 in your lineup? What do you think he's worth?

Pittsburgh is probably the last team he'd go to but hypothetically I'd offer

Malkin
Pouliot
17' 1st

For

Ovechkin
Burakovsky

E. Kane (1.5 million retained)

For

C. Kunitz
2017 1st

J. Skinner
2017 3rd

For

C. Kunitz
D. Sprong
2017 1st

K. Lehtonen (1.5 million retained)
P. Sharp
2017 4th

For

M. Fleury
C. Kunitz
2017 2nd

Pitt can buy out lehtonen after this season. Provides insurance for Murray

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bad trade for Pittsburgh. Not sure why Stars fans are super upset, but I'll take their word for it.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

There is a sizable difference between the 2. When Kari find his pre concussion self then the difference isn't huge. But he hasn't found his pre concussion self consistently for a couple years now

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
So dallas solves their overpaid crappy goalie situation by adding a slightly better mediocre high priced goalie and an aging winger that most pens fan hated all of last season

Looks like Pitt runs away with this.

Slightly better? Fleury is vastly superior to Lehtonen.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There is a sizable difference between the 2. When Kari find his pre concussion self then the difference isn't huge. But he hasn't found his pre concussion self consistently for a couple years now

Oh i don't believe in Kari all that much . I think post-conccussion MAF will be barely any better and adding the 1 year with MAF is sizeable risk.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
there are people that think the earth is flat....so be it.....no sense to try and change their minds (and I use that word loosely.) maf is every bit as good as bishop (just check the sats) and is going to be much cheaper. its going to be fun next yr. looking at all the teams that could of had maf but are stuck with what the have, and what they had to pay for it.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad