Proposal: Pitt-Cbj-Dal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
There's not a team in the NHL that would trade Rust for a flight risk that can and has threatened to just leave the NHL whenever? Okay.

Nuke is crazy overrated by Penguins fans for some odd reason. If he was as good as some Pens fans on the Pens board thing, he would have had a better season than 14 goals and 34 points by now. Nuke has more potential than Rust, but I wouldn't trade Rust for him. I'd rather keep Rust and just give Sprong a spot along Malkin whenever he's healthy.

Nichuskin has not threatened to leave for Russia. People are just bringing that up because he is Russian and hasn't signed a contract yet...

Also 34 points and 14 goals is a really good for an 18 year old. The guy has since played one other season and is only 21. You acting like he's been a career 30 point guy for years and has signed on offer from a KHL team

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
So, we need to take into account the potential of Nuke, something he has yet to show in the NHL or his overall ability. Why so insistent on telling fans of the Stanley Cup winning team that an enigma is worth someone who was valuable to us in Rust, one who did show well when given top six minutes and one that is built to the model the Pens have installed (speed) along with a first round pick for someone who hasn't shown well, at all?

Nuke's value to me is worth DP, not Rust and a first. DP and Nuke need change of scenery deals.

I mean if you look at overall ability you could put Nuke above Rust right now. Added to the fact that Nuke is younger and has more potential... it's really not close.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Nichuskin has not threatened to leave for Russia. People are just bringing that up because he is Russian and hasn't signed a contract yet...

In the long interview where he dumped on the team, he did leave the door open to going back to the KHL.

The Russian board's translation said:
IR- If you don't want to stay would you only consider the NHL or is the KHL an option?

VN- Maybe. Because Dallas owns my rights and could hold on to me. Maybe I'll have to play in Russia then. Because again here the coach shows me he doesn't trust me. I'm tired of hitting the wall.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
In the long interview where he dumped on the team, he did leave the door open to going back to the KHL.

So a Russian kid said he would play in the KHL if the NHL doesn't work? What a shocker! What's he supposed to say? If the NHL doesn't worn I'm just going to call it's quits

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I mean if you look at overall ability you could put Nuke above Rust right now. Added to the fact that Nuke is younger and has more potential... it's really not close.

Again, cute to keep bringing up ability and potential. Potential is a word that gets more GMs and coaches fired, not hired. Fact is, one has elevated his play and finds himself being moved from third and fourth line roles to being a winger on the second line with Malkin, while the other remains an enigma - hasn't lived up to expectations and when he meets those is beyond anyone's clue.

Rust works hard and has improved. Nuke? Not so much. Again, his value is Pouliott. They are the same breed, just one is a forward and the other is a Dman. Nuke doesn't have a good value. And to those who think he does, they haven't watched much of him. Can't base it on potential. Have to base it on what he is ... an enigma, like Yukupov.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not as enamored with Rust as some. I think that he will be a legit NHL player, but whether he will have the success that he did in the playoffs, or even remain cemented into the top six for years to come is a very open question.

That said, I am even more wary of Nuke. Granted, I wish that I had seen him play more. He certainly has it all on paper, size, flashes of skill, it is hard not to imagine him next to Malkin. But I also know that he played 79 of 82 games last year, all ten playoff games, given every opportunity to succeed including top line chances, and left Dallas fans disappointed from what I have read. Obviously why he is discussed as available.

And it is not like he was misused or buried on some no offense team. Dallas led the league in scoring.

And further granted that players can develop later at times. But from what I see the number of on paper stars who never get it together far outnumber those who do.

I give people their thoughts on Rust. The problem is that I have the same issues, and even more of them, with Nuke.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Don't worry, it wasn't just you. I had the same impression.

Me three.

I am not as enamored with Rust as some. I think that he will be a legit NHL player, but whether he will have the success that he did in the playoffs, or even remain cemented into the top six for years to come is a very open question.

That said, I am even more wary of Nuke. Granted, I wish that I had seen him play more. He certainly has it all on paper, size, flashes of skill, it is hard not to imagine him next to Malkin. But I also know that he played 79 of 82 games last year, all ten playoff games, given every opportunity to succeed including top line chances, and left Dallas fans disappointed from what I have read. Obviously why he is discussed as available.

And it is not like he was misused or buried on some no offense team. Dallas led the league in scoring.

And further granted that players can develop later at times. But from what I see the number of on paper stars who never get it together far outnumber those who do.

I give people their thoughts on Rust. The problem is that I have the same issues, and even more of them, with Nuke.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :handclap:

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Not all Dallas fans have soured on Nuke, but there are a lot of vocal ones who have. He just turned 21, did he have a disappointing season, sure. But he missed almost his entire sophomore year of hockey, thats not easy to just bounce back from, look at Nemeth. He also struggled after missing most of last season.

He gets so much blame for crap he doesn't even do or say. I read the interview mentioned earlier and quite a few of the questions were leading like the one posted about the KHL. Another was when he was asked if he thought the Coach and GM were limiting his minutes to avoid a big contract.

Also you know who else complained about ice time over and over again and even asked to be traded twice, yet most Dallas fans still liked him, Fiddler. All he said was he was frustrated because he felt he was doing what the coach asked of him, but he felt Ruff didnt trust him. And honestly Ruff does not like to change his mind on players. Look at Oleksiak and Nemeth, even if one had a decent game they were usually quickly benched again.

I will say Nuke did not look like he did in his rookie season for much of the year, and he often looked frustrated and hesitant (also applies to Nemeth and Oleksiak, always looked like they were thinking too much and not playing instinctively enough). The best he looked was late in the series vs the Blues, lots of chances, but just couldn't bury them. Its funny as bad as Nuke looked he had as many points if not goals as Janmark, while a rookie is older then nuke, who everyone says had a great season.

Ruff will do things that are incredibly frustrating to us fans, like shuffle the crap out of the forward lines, often using completely different lines in game from those used in practice. Sometimes it works and surprising chemistry is found, other times the players look lost and have no clue where each other is going to be. Yet the D will remain unchanged through prolonged losing streaks, why not ruffle them for a change. If its frustrating to us, I'm sure it can be frustrating to players, especially ones who feel they are struggling.

One of the things that really bugged me was when he put together Nuke Spezza and Sharp, and despite both players preferring their off hand wing he kept them on the wing the were least comfortable on, why? Don't get me started on Eakin, who I like, just not as a 1C.

Honestly, it would have probably been better for him and us, if he had played in the KHL a few years before coming over, or allowed to play in the AHL, but his Russian contract only permitted him to play in the NHL not AHL. Yet for some reason he is often blamed, with fans saying he refused to play in the AHL. He wasn't allowed to, other than conditioning assignments which he did with no complaints.

Some of the Negativity fans have for him is just really frustrating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad