Proposal: Pitt-Cbj-Dal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
To Pitt: V. Nichuskin

To Cbj: Pitt 1st 17', Dal 1st 17'

To Dal: D. Savard, B. Rust

Cbj protects Murray, jones and Johnson, get 2 1sts and cap space

Dal gets a good D they need

Pitt gets an inexpensive top 6 winger

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Wow that is absolutely horrid for Pittsburgh.

Rust is the better much cheaper player, then you want to give away a first round pick on top of that, just terrible.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
To Pitt: V. Nichuskin

To Cbj: Pitt 1st 17', Dal 1st 17'

To Dal: D. Savard, B. Rust

Cbj protects Murray, jones and Johnson, get 2 1sts and cap space

Dal gets a good D they need

Pitt gets an inexpensive top 6 winger

Huge no thanks from Columbus. We need Savard a lot more than we need two late first round picks. Why would we trade Savard to protect Johnson? That makes no sense. One, we need Savard more. Two, Johnson probably won't get picked in the expansion draft. If he does, that means guys like Atkinson and our goaltenders didn't. That would be great for us.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We aren't going to pay 2 1sts for a 9th roster defenseman, especially when we can protect Nichushkin but not any more blueliners.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Johnson's job in Columbus is threatened by Werenski.
Savard's job in Columbus is threatened by... nobody. Nobody at all.

Given a choice between the two, we're keeping Savard. Easily.

* * *​
We aren't going to pay 2 1sts for a 9th roster defenseman, especially when we can protect Nichushkin but not any more blueliners.

I admit I'm curious as to where Savard would fall on the Dallas depth chart. I presume he'd be #2RHD behind Klingberg, but I frankly don't know Dallas's blueline at all beyond "John Klingberg is pretty awesome, and they recently let Goligoski and Demers walk." :D

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
1st + Rust is too much from the Penguins for Nuke. And I'm a BIG fan of Nuke coming to Pittsburgh.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Johnson's job in Columbus is threatened by Werenski.
Savard's job in Columbus is threatened by... nobody. Nobody at all.

Given a choice between the two, we're keeping Savard. Easily.

* * *​

I admit I'm curious as to where Savard would fall on the Dallas depth chart. I presume he'd be #2RHD behind Klingberg, but I frankly don't know Dallas's blueline at all beyond "John Klingberg is pretty awesome, and they recently let Goligoski and Demers walk." :D

He'd be on the nominal 3rd pair with Lindell I imagine, behind Hamhuis-Klingberg and Oduya-Johns. Not much difference in icetime between 2nd and 3rd, but I prefer the idea of having a minder for each rookie.

The problem would be next year when we would have to expose Lindell, our only long term left shot option. Honka needs a spot, and Savard makes 2.5x what he and Johns make together. Money for Savard/assets traded for Savard will be much better spent post expansion draft on a left shot 2nd pair guy to replace Oduya.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He'd be on the nominal 3rd pair with Lindell I imagine, behind Hamhuis-Klingberg and Oduya-Johns. Not much difference in icetime between 2nd and 3rd, but I prefer the idea of having a minder for each rookie.

I was going to say, I didn't think Johns was quite that far along... :)

The problem would be next year when we would have to expose Lindell, our only long term left shot option. Honka needs a spot, and Savard makes 2.5x what he and Johns make together. Money for Savard/assets traded for Savard will be much better spent post expansion draft on a left shot 2nd pair guy to replace Oduya.

That actually suggests that maybe swapping Savard with Johnson could actually be useful to the Stars as well. Unless y'all want nothing to do with Jack Johnson.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I was going to say, I didn't think Johns was quite that far along... :)

That actually suggests that maybe swapping Savard with Johnson could actually be useful to the Stars as well. Unless y'all want nothing to do with Jack Johnson.

I'm not a fan and I don't think we have the cap space, but what we need most of all is a year of NHL games to figure Johns and Lindell out. A lot of money comes off the books this year and keeping our options open is going to be important.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Wow that is absolutely horrid for Pittsburgh.

Rust is the better much cheaper player, then you want to give away a first round pick on top of that, just terrible.

I can understand not wanting to trade a first but Nichuskin is both younger and better than Rust

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I can understand not wanting to trade a first but Nichuskin is both younger and better than Rust

Nichuskin had 9 goals in 79 regular season games, and then 0 goals in 10 playoff games.

Bryan Rust just had 6 playoff goals alone, how is he better exactly?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It looks to me like this would be a good deal for Dallas, to beef up on top 4 RHD and get more of a glue guy who is a safer player than Nuke (who still seems awfully boom/bust). The other two clubs definitely say no.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Nichuskin had 9 goals in 79 regular season games, and then 0 goals in 10 playoff games.

This is Post of the Year quality right here. Good thing Rust got to 6 playoff goals, otherwise they would be tied in playoff goals plus regular season goals. If you want to argue one had an OK playoffs and the other didn't, fine, but in every other context Nichushkin had a better year. Because he is the better player.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Somehow, this is a bad deal for literally every team involved.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
we lose a 1st and a top 9 winger for a disappointing young player who played on one of the most explosive offensive teams and didnt put up good numbers? wouldnt even do DP for nuke.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
wilson>rust,

also what has Nuke done to be worth a 1st+. he had 29 points last year. its a boom or bust trade. we're just trading for potential.

Is a first not also nothing but potential?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

Your right it's all about goals. Not not like Nuke had 0.36 PPG compared to Rusts 0.26 in the regular season and Nuke was largely considered to have a dissapointing season.

I'll take the younger guy who out produces the older guy while having a dissapointing season any day of the week. This doesn't even take into account Nukes potential which make their value even further apart

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Your right it's all about goals. Not not like Nuke had 0.36 PPG compared to Rusts 0.26 in the regular season and Nuke was largely considered to have a dissapointing season.

I'll take the younger guy who out produces the older guy while having a dissapointing season any day of the week. This doesn't even take into account Nukes potential which make their value even further apart

You aren't taking into account Rust's speed which is disruptive on the forecheck, you aren't taking into account Rust is a better defensive player, You aren't taking into account that Rust is like 4-5 times cheaper on the cap.

Nuke will be out of the league soon, Rust will continue to be a very solid 3rd liner.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
This is Post of the Year quality right here. Good thing Rust got to 6 playoff goals, otherwise they would be tied in playoff goals plus regular season goals. If you want to argue one had an OK playoffs and the other didn't, fine, but in every other context Nichushkin had a better year. Because he is the better player.

an OK playoffs? :laugh:

He just set the Penguins rookie record for goals, he scored 2 times in game 7 of the ECF, I believe he even got the first goal of the Stanley Cup.

How exactly did Nuke have a better year with his poor defensive play and 10 goals over 89 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad