Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Maybe if the Jets AHL affiliate was some place in the United States instead of Winnipeg he would have considered signing?
From what came out was that he wanted to sign with the Jets after his season in college ended, but the Jets were trying to get as high in the standings as they could and didn't have a spot for him in the NHL.

He got mad and didn't want to sign and right now it seems the Jets were more than correct to not give him a place.

It's very much the same as Cutter Gauthier it seems. Wanted to sign, Philly didn't want to because of bonuses and potential cap issues, he pouted and got dealt.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
All official statements from GMs and agent say “we don’t know why”, but our reporters were quite confident that it was a usage issue. We even got the rumors that Rutger dictated usage to any potential trade destination. I refuse to believe this was baseless. Great leadership 🙄 Either way, enjoy the minors Rutger. Looks like it suits him.
So if that’s the case his ego got bruised being sent to the minors. Go call your agent and ask for another trade.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
That “wanted guaranteed NHL spot” was debunked the day he was traded (by Chevy). It appears he just didn’t want to play in Winnipeg. I wished he was more honest about it instead of pretending everything was ok for almost a full year. No matter, in the end Chevy did very well in the trade and I’m excited for Yagers future in Winnipeg.
It wasn’t debunked. Rutger leaked out through MULTIPLE sources he didn’t like how the Jets handled young players. Just because he and his agent are cowards and wouldn’t say it to Chevy’s face doesn’t walk that back.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It wasn’t debunked. Rutger leaked out through MULTIPLE sources he didn’t like how the Jets handled young players. Just because he and his agent are cowards and wouldn’t say it to Chevy’s face doesn’t walk that back.
Weird he'd accept a trade to Pittsburgh/sign with Pittsburgh if that were the case. Sullivan's one of the worst coaches in the league with regards to young player usage and developing their offensive games.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Weird he'd accept a trade to Pittsburgh/sign with Pittsburgh if that were the case. Sullivan's one of the worst coaches in the league with regards to young player usage and developing their offensive games.

He came to Winnipeg last summer and basically wanted no part of living in the city for the next 7 years end of story. Who cares at this point its over and he is out and we will hate him every time we play him

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
At 1 min 43 sec Elliott states that the Jets problem with Rutger was that at a pre-draft interview they asked him if he had a problem coming to Winnipeg and Rutger's answer at that time was "no."

Reactions: TommyKillian

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I think most fan bases around here feel their young players deserve more. There is plenty of hate of how the Jets handle their young players/prospects on their board.

I might be bias here but if he is looking to get to the NHL there is less competition on the Pens than the Jets both currently and the future.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yeah, a lot of people in their early 20s really assess a city’s pothole situation when determining where to live…🤡
I lived in Winnipeg for 5 years. I
moved to the states and came back to visit Winnipeg a few years later. Yes, the pothole situation downtown was bad enough to list it. I've driven on prairie dirt roads that were more pleasant.

Reactions: Buffdog

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Have to say, where some of those Jets live in the SW corner of Winnipeg along that McConnell Rd is really f***ing nice.
I know people talk about the city sucking, and it does similarly to other small markets, but like what does it matter how much the city sucks when half the year you're just going to the rink, then driving back to your 5000 square foot mega home in your luxury car. Dollar goes pretty far in Winnipeg especially being paid in USD.

Just my 2 cents.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
We don’t know what was said or committed to.

Winnipeg is a small town and word does get around depending on the circles you frequent. The rumour was mcgroarty wanted to sign and play immediately, get in a playoff game, and basically get guaranteed a roster spot next year. Just not feasible given the level of talent the Jets had and what they were striving for in the spring with playoffs.

Given, as Elliot reported in the summer, that talks broke down with other teams interested in rutger based on his demands, he may have settled for - give me three games to start the year to prove myself. Hard to say without wild speculation, but whatever the agreement was between pitts and Rutger it was something both sides felt was fair.

There definitely is an easier path to playing time in pitts compared to Wpg. So that’s fair.

There was also a quote from Rutgers mom somewhere in the summmer where she said “Rutgers feels he’s ready, and I trust his instincts, he’s always been right on this sort of thing.” Not the exact quote and I can’t remember its source. So take that with a grain of salt.

Regardless - this narrative shift from playing time to he hates the city of Wpg and its potholes is completely false. The Jets vet that before drafting, and have had several players say they don’t want to come and have looked elsewhere to draft players that are ok playing in a small town in the middle of nowhere where with bad potholes.

Hope he has a long stint in the AHL. lol. But I also hope when he does come up he has a kickass career. Just want him to eat a slice of humble pie, will likely make him a better player and person. You have to EARN getting to live in an awesome pothole free town like pitts - well known globally for its metropolitan lifestyle and gorgeous vistas.

I lived in Winnipeg for 5 years. I
moved to the states and came back to visit Winnipeg a few years later. Yes, the pothole situation downtown was bad enough to list it. I've driven on prairie dirt roads that were more pleasant.
To be fair - that is a US vs all of western Canada thing. As soon as you hit the border there is a noticeable difference In Highway quality and maintenance. Guess it’s the trade off for the health care. Regardless - US does roads right.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We don’t know what was said or committed to.

Winnipeg is a small town and word does get around depending on the circles you frequent. The rumour was mcgroarty wanted to sign and play immediately, get in a playoff game, and basically get guaranteed a roster spot next year. Just not feasible given the level of talent the Jets had and what they were striving for in the spring with playoffs.

Given, as Elliot reported in the summer, that talks broke down with other teams interested in rutger based on his demands, he may have settled for - give me three games to start the year to prove myself. Hard to say without wild speculation, but whatever the agreement was between pitts and Rutger it was something both sides felt was fair.

There definitely is an easier path to playing time in pitts compared to Wpg. So that’s fair.

There was also a quote from Rutgers mom somewhere in the summmer where she said “Rutgers feels he’s ready, and I trust his instincts, he’s always been right on this sort of thing.” Not the exact quote and I can’t remember its source. So take that with a grain of salt.

Regardless - this narrative shift from playing time to he hates the city of Wpg and its potholes is completely false. The Jets vet that before drafting, and have had several players say they don’t want to come and have looked elsewhere to draft players that are ok playing in a small town in the middle of nowhere where with bad potholes.

Hope he has a long stint in the AHL. lol. But I also hope when he does come up he has a kickass career. Just want him to eat a slice of humble pie, will likely make him a better player and person. You have to EARN getting to live in an awesome pothole free town like pitts - well known globally for its metropolitan lifestyle and gorgeous vistas.

To be fair - that is a US vs all of western Canada thing. As soon as you hit the border there is a noticeable difference In Highway quality and maintenance. Guess it’s the trade off for the health care. Regardless - US does roads right.
US does interstates right, because they're federally managed and considered a part of national security

Once you get off the main roads in Grand Forks, ND they're just as shitty as ours

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
It wasnt the first player to do it and it certainly won't be the last NHL player forcing himself out of Canada.

The sooner Winnipeg fans come to terms that the city doesn't entice young players the better off they will be. Grown men sitting on a forum shitting on a dude that's in his early 20’s isn't a good look.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Have to say, where some of those Jets live in the SW corner of Winnipeg along that McConnell Rd is really f***ing nice.
I know people talk about the city sucking, and it does similarly to other small markets, but like what does it matter how much the city sucks when half the year you're just going to the rink, then driving back to your 5000 square foot mega home in your luxury car. Dollar goes pretty far in Winnipeg especially being paid in USD.

Just my 2 cents.
I always find it funny when people get on their high horse and trash another city. In the case of professional athletes they would be mostly on the road/ playing games/practicing like you pointed out.

In the case of a normal regular person, something like what 95% of your time is spent working/sleeping/working out, etc. Rest of the time you are probably just chilling in your home regardless. Maybe 1% of your time is out and about in a city and everyone city will have something unique to do anyway.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It wasnt the first player to do it and it certainly won't be the last NHL player forcing himself out of Canada.

The sooner Winnipeg fans come to terms that the city doesn't entice young players the better off they will be. Grown men sitting on a forum shitting on a dude that's in his early 20’s isn't a good look.
I don't think Jets fans are mad that he didn't want to come to Winnipeg. It was the way he did it

He claimed before the Jets drafted him that he'd have no problem playing in Winnipeg

After being drafted, he talked about how thrilled he was to be drafted by the Jets

He attended a development camp and by all accounts was thrilled to be there

Then he changed his mind at some point and didn't say shit to the Jets aside from "it just didn't feel right"

He handled it like a douche. Douches can be shit on at any age

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad