Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Didn’t know much about this guy but seeing him play and I’m actually shocked how weak a player he is. This guy is no where near so good as the player the Jets got. Not really getting this whole thing. It’s like the Jets stole a good player for a guy who isn’t going to be in the league. Very strange imo.
And you formed this opinion after watching him play two preseason games?

How f***ing dumb is that to already form that opinion? Both for Yager and for RM.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone saying McGroarty has looked bad for the Penguins is talking out of their ass. McGroarty looks good for the Penguins, just not "he needs to be in the NHL immediately" good. McGroarty will likely get half a season or so in the AHL and then jump to Crosby's line. He can absolutely be a 3rd line player in the NHL right now, but playing 1st line minutes in the AHL with top AHL scorers (which is what guys like Puljujarvi and Bemstrom are) is better for his development than getting 3rd line minutes in the NHL in defensive assignments. If Sullivan was willing to use his 3rd line in a more two-way or offensive role, I'd be much more inclined to put McGroarty in there. But with how Sullivan uses his bottom-6, him spending half a year in the AHL then jumping directly to Crosby's line is a better idea.

McGroarty's super high hockey IQ is his best trait from what I've seen, he simply knows where to be on the ice and anticipates plays really well. It's a very similar thing that made Guentzel a terrific winger for Crosby, I think McGroarty's upside is a more physical/bigger Guentzel. His skating is definitely really awkward, but I haven't noticed it as being a deterrent from the games I've seen. Granted, it's a lot easier to cover up poor skating if you have a high hockey IQ and know where to go. But the important part is that I think McGroarty's skating won't end up killing him as a prospect.

Great for Yager if he's doing well for the Jets as well, I liked him as a prospect although I've been unsure if he'll stick at center in the pros.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Gosh, if only someone, somewhere had told him that he may not be NHL ready, and that he shouldn't be extorting franchises without having proven anything. He burned a lot of bridges, tanked his reputation, and is going to end up in the minors anyway. I hope Vibes McGroarty happy.
From everything I’ve heard, his agent was telling him, he was always likely to play in the minors, BUT if he didn’t want to play in Winnipeg, to take the stand now so that’s what he chose to do.

It is funny that’s at least the partial demand he was making, and the first thing Pittsburgh told him they wouldn’t guarantee.

Fact is, sounds like he just didn’t wanna be part of the Winnipeg Organization.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Anyone saying McGroarty has looked bad for the Penguins is talking out of their ass. McGroarty looks good for the Penguins, just not "he needs to be in the NHL immediately" good. McGroarty will likely get half a season or so in the AHL and then jump to Crosby's line. He can absolutely be a 3rd line player in the NHL right now, but playing 1st line minutes in the AHL with top AHL scorers (which is what guys like Puljujarvi and Bemstrom are) is better for his development than getting 3rd line minutes in the NHL in defensive assignments. If Sullivan was willing to use his 3rd line in a more two-way or offensive role, I'd be much more inclined to put McGroarty in there. But with how Sullivan uses his bottom-6, him spending half a year in the AHL then jumping directly to Crosby's line is a better idea.

McGroarty's super high hockey IQ is his best trait from what I've seen, he simply knows where to be on the ice and anticipates plays really well. It's a very similar thing that made Guentzel a terrific winger for Crosby, I think McGroarty's upside is a more physical/bigger Guentzel. His skating is definitely really awkward, but I haven't noticed it as being a deterrent from the games I've seen. Granted, it's a lot easier to cover up poor skating if you have a high hockey IQ and know where to go. But the important part is that I think McGroarty's skating won't end up killing him as a prospect.

Great for Yager if he's doing well for the Jets as well, I liked him as a prospect although I've been unsure if he'll stick at center in the pros.
Seriously? How often do guys play a half season in the A and then are first liners? It’s obvious this guy isn’t nhl ready and might never be. Guys taken where he was in the draft are iffy, at best.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seriously? How often do guys play a half season in the A and then are first liners? It’s obvious this guy isn’t nhl ready and might never be. Guys taken where he was in the draft are iffy, at best.

Jake Guentzel did literally exactly that and that's why I used the comparison. Their skillsets (namely good shot and high hockey IQ) are extremely similar, while McGroarty sacrifices some skating for extra size. I have no doubts that McGroarty will be at least a good 3rd liner who fits well with Crosby by the end of the year.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about by saying McGroarty "might never be" NHL ready. Just a comically dumb take.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
From everything I’ve heard, his agent was telling him, he was always likely to play in the minors, BUT if he didn’t want to play in Winnipeg, to take the stand now so that’s what he chose to do.

It is funny that’s at least the partial demand he was making, and the first thing Pittsburgh told him they wouldn’t guarantee.

Fact is, sounds like he just didn’t wanna be part of the Winnipeg Organization.
Let's face it, he was in for a struggle to get significant playing time in Winnipeg. The Jets have good winger depth, he wasn't going to crack the top 9 if he couldn't be a 2C. And he wasn't going to be without some development time. And maybe not at all with Brad Lambert's development. Maybe seeing his former 1st round pick USA teammate Chaz Lucius struggling to stay healthy, and down the depth chart, was enough to scare him off from being on the Moose, taking bus trips to Iowa, earning an AHL salary without anything but minimal bonuses, as the Jets are not traditionally big on signing and performance bonuses, and grinded Perfetti out of his.

The opportunity to play with a prospect poor team and get up the depth chart quick, increasing his chance for a better 2nd contract, probably had some allure.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
Kyle Connor played a full season in the A and then was a top liner. Also chosen later than McGroarty.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I still see this deal working out for both teams. Winnipeg needed another natural center prospect so getting Yager fits really well. He's had a real good camp but needs some more seasoning before he's NHL ready.

Even if McGroarty is a year away he's still a year closer then Yager from making it imo. He also has attributes in line with the wingers that have worked well with their top 2 centers. I'm sure he'll contribute positively for them.

I don't like what he did but I'm happy with the player we got back and think it fills more of a need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad