Confirmed Trade: [PIT/WPG] Rutger McGroarty for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think McGroarty was really close to be a Hab.

Hughes had a deal in place for someone including #21 OA at the draft if Micheal Hage was not available. My guess is it was McG. Probably something like McG for #21 OA + a 3rd or something.

So: Yager or... #21 OA in 2024 + a 3rd?

What is better value?

see at 23m49s

I don't understand why the Jets would ever consider taking a 2024 pick over a higher 2023 pick that had a great draft+1 year.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I don't understand why the Jets would ever consider taking a 2024 pick over a higher 2023 pick that had a great draft+1 year.
Maybe they had a player they liked at #21?

Many great players were still there... Solberg is a stud. Greentree is great as well.

If Hage was selected, one of Eiserman or Boisvert would have fallen to #21.

Same caliber of prospect as Yager for me.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I think McGroarty was really close to be a Hab.

Hughes had a deal in place for someone including #21 OA at the draft if Micheal Hage was not available. My guess is it was McG. Probably something like McG for #21 OA + a 3rd or something.

So: Yager or... #21 OA in 2024 + a 3rd?

What is better value?

see at 23m49s

I'd say Yager is more valuable than 21st and a 3rd, for sure.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Neither of those guys were available at 21, and Boisvert isn't even ranked in Wheeler's top-100 prospects.
If Hage was picked at #18, #19 or #20 (Hughes was talking to the other GM when Chicago was preparing to pick at #18 if you watch the video at 23m49s), it means that one of Eiserman, Connolly or Boisvert would have been available at #21.

Anyone of those players + 3rd is IMO better value than Yager. Love all those 3 (Boisvert, Eiserman and Connelly).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Hage was picked at #18, #19 or #20 (Hughes was talking to the other GM when Chicago was preparing to pick at #18 if you watch the video at 23m49s), it means that one of Eiserman, Connolly or Boisvert would have been available at #21.

Anyone of those players + 3rd is IMO better value than Yager. Love all those 3 (Boisvert, Eiserman and Connolly).

But that didn't happen and none of them were available at that pick.

With what actually happened, Yager is a much better return for them than pick #21 and a 3rd or something like that. The guys who were available at #21 weren't higher regarded prospects than Yager, plus Yager has the benefit of being further in his development and already having a great draft+1 year.

With how high Wheeler is on Eiserman, I can see the argument for Eiserman and a 3rd over Yager. But these other guys are just Yager caliber prospects that are a year behind Yager in development.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
McGroarty is ranked higher by everyone?

Yager is a sniping C who is defensively responsible but plays on the outside a lot (like a McCann)
McGroarty is a winger who plays on the inside and has better overall hockey sense but worse skating
when you are 20 lbs lighter than everyone else you need to stay to the outside. :laugh:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
But that didn't happen and none of them were available at that pick.

With what actually happened, Yager is a much better return for them than pick #21 and a 3rd or something like that. The guys who were available at #21 weren't higher regarded prospects than Yager, plus Yager has the benefit of being further in his development and already having a great draft+1 year.
You are not listening at all at what I am saying.

Have you watched the draft video?

Hughes had a trade on the table for #21 if Hage was not there.

In a parallel universe where one of Chicago, Vegas or NYI picks Hage, it means one of Eiserman, Connolly or Boisvert is there at #21.

It means the trade is

Boisvert/Eiserman/Connolly + 3rd for McGroarty

vs

Yager for McGroarty

My question is: what is the better value?

I regard those 3 guys very highly personnally, even higher than Yager. I don't care about Scott Wheeler lol

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
So Winnipeg didn't feel right for McGroarty, but he going to sign with Pittsburgh prior to getting the feel for that franchise, makes sense.

Good hockey trade, didn't expect Jets to get the return. I would still put Chevy among the most boring GM's in the league. Still waiting for an exciting Jets to watch.

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
So Winnipeg didn't feel right for McGroarty, but he going to sign with Pittsburgh prior to getting the feel for that franchise, makes sense.

Good hockey trade, didn't expect Jets to get the return. I would still put Chevy among the most boring GM's in the league. Still waiting for an exciting Jets to watch.
I mean, what do you want Chevy to do? Shoot someone?

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Maybe they had a player they liked at #21?

Many great players were still there... Solberg is a stud. Greentree is great as well.

If Hage was selected, one of Eiserman or Boisvert would have fallen to #21.

Same caliber of prospect as Yager for me.
But, one year further away from ready and Jets window if one exists is right now, not later in the future.

Solid prospect for a better prospect who is NHL ready. I'll take this 100 times out of 100.
As will the Jets as McG really didn’t want to sign.

Reactions: Huffer

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I think that Dubas was looking to give up the least amount of prospects possible so he did the 1 for 1 trade. He knows he needs prospects so he didn’t want to deal 2 or 3 prospects, even being inferior ones to BY. My guess is that he probably wanted Winnipeg to settle for someone else…. Maybe Pickering, but when push came to shove, just felt that McGroarty was worth giving up Yager.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Jets fan, I think we lost this bad. I think Yager is a real NHLer and I think he compliments the giant pack of basically ready prospects we've got, but McGroarty strikes me as a superstar in the making.

I also think this will be viewed in hindsight as a mistake by Rutger and his management. The Jets are (especially in the regular season) significantly more successful than the Pens in recent memory and I think he could have gone to a stronger organization if he played NHL hockey before the trade, thereby also increasing Chevy's return. Usually our GMs patience is much greater than my own but I was prepared to ride this all the way up to the 25 draft.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010

In what way is Chevy boring? That seems like an outdated take...

Chevy's been one of the most active GMs over the past few seasons.

Laine for PLD
Copp for Barron, Lambert, Salomonsson, Milic
PLD for Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, Freij
2nd for Neiderreiter
1st for Monahan
3rd for Toffoli
McGroarty for Yager

He's been one of the more active GMs in the NHL and last off-season the Jets went from a team that many thought was going into some sort of rebuild, Chevy pulled off the PLD trade, re-signed Scheifele and Hellebuyck (and Neiderreiter), and the Jets reeled off a 110-point season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets fan, I think we lost this bad. I think Yager is a real NHLer and I think he compliments the giant pack of basically ready prospects we've got, but McGroarty strikes me as a superstar in the making.

I also think this will be viewed in hindsight as a mistake by Rutger and his management. The Jets are (especially in the regular season) significantly more successful than the Pens in recent memory and I think he could have gone to a stronger organization if he played NHL hockey before the trade, thereby also increasing Chevy's return. Usually our GMs patience is much greater than my own but I was prepared to ride this all the way up to the 25 draft.
I really like McGroarty and on balance think he's a better prospect than Yager, but I think it was better to trade him now rather than ride it out until the 2025 draft. There's a reasonable chance that McGroarty's value would stagnate, and he might have severely limited the trade pool at that point by refusing to sign with any of the teams that might offer good trade value. I think it was prudent to make the move now, considering that Yager is close enough in value today, and secured for an extended period of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad