Proposal: PIT/DAL - Pouliot + for Nichushkin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I was actually using your observations as a resource in my Training Camp Battle profile. I consider myself a skeptic with respect to how he's advertised. Fans and even Mike Heika seem to think he's a "big two way defensemen" and all I see is "amazing shooter...could use work everywhere else". At least at this point in his career as a prospect.

Curious if you're still on the doubtful side when it comes to Lindell. I break a keyboard everytime someone suggests we should trade Honka before Lindell. Are you more optimistic now given his growth? Or do you find yourself just as doubtful?

I like the growth that he showed over the last 12 months. When he first came into the AHL, it was real loosey goosey...he really came along nicely. But I got burned by thinking Sami Lepisto would turn out years ago, also not that great of skater, also not that great defensively - especially high DZ/low NZ...I just get that vibe from him...I'm "shorting" this stock, especially in light of this long-standing top pair upside tag...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I still don't think Pouliot makes a lot of sense for DAL. They have several young D that will be exposed to the draft in Honka and Johns. So I can't see them all that excited about acquiring another young D who is eligible.

I think MAF makes a lot more sense for DAL then something around Pouliot. As for PIT moving MAF, if they're getting either Lehtonen or Niemi (which they would absolutely have to for it to make sense for DAL), I don't think it matters. Murray should be the guy going into the playoffs, and either of those two should be good enough to step in if Murray needs a break. They may not be top tier #1 goalies, but with how effective Pittsburgh was at limiting shots, they should be good enough that PITs season wouldn't be over if Murray stumbles at all.

Agreed. MAF to Dallas would be better for Pittsburgh, especially if they are getting a good piece like Nuke back. Part of me says that Dallas would much rather do Lehtonen than Niemi due to $$$. I mean, if we take Niemi, Leh's making $5.9 and MAF makes $5.75. That's 11.65 mil dedicated to two goalies. That's insane.

I think the deal would be something like: Lehtonen+Nuke for MAF or Niemi+Nuke for MAF+later pick/prospect. Even then, you have to assume everyone involved there would waive their NTC/NMCs.

Penguins would then just pray that LV takes either :)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agreed. MAF to Dallas would be better for Pittsburgh, especially if they are getting a good piece like Nuke back. Part of me says that Dallas would much rather do Lehtonen than Niemi due to $$$. I mean, if we take Niemi, Leh's making $5.9 and MAF makes $5.75. That's 11.65 mil dedicated to two goalies. That's insane.

I think the deal would be something like: Lehtonen+Nuke for MAF or Niemi+Nuke for MAF+later pick/prospect. Even then, you have to assume everyone involved there would waive their NTC/NMCs.

Penguins would then just pray that LV takes either :)

But is it any more insane then paying 10.4m for marginal goaltending? At least with MAF you know you're getting a true #1 goalie. And with PITs expansion draft situation, you're getting him for pennies while moving a less than ideal contract of your own.

And honestly... I'd take back Lehtonen if DAL was giving us a nice enough piece(s) to go with him. You can always buy out Lehtonen next summer for 2.5 and 1.6m next summer - which is when Murray's new contract would kick in. Give him a 2-3 yr bridge deal, and while you might not see much savings vs what we paid MAF this year, it's also not hugely cap prohibitive either.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
But is it any more insane then paying 10.4m for marginal goaltending? At least with MAF you know you're getting a true #1 goalie. And with PITs expansion draft situation, you're getting him for pennies while moving a less than ideal contract of your own.

And honestly... I'd take back Lehtonen if DAL was giving us a nice enough piece(s) to go with him. You can always buy out Lehtonen next summer for 2.5 and 1.6m next summer - which is when Murray's new contract would kick in. Give him a 2-3 yr bridge deal, and while you might not see much savings vs what we paid MAF this year, it's also not hugely cap prohibitive either.

Agreed. Any quite honestly, you never know who may need a stop gap goalie for one year. Leht or Niemi would be about right for us, assuming we get Nuke back.

With that, a Miller - MAF swap makes a lot of sense as well. We get a UFA goalie that we can squeeze in, Vancouver gets an upgrade and a stop gap between now and when Markstrom is ready. Vancouver have a good 1a/1b duo would help them out a lot IMHO.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Agreed. Any quite honestly, you never know who may need a stop gap goalie for one year. Leht or Niemi would be about right for us, assuming we get Nuke back.

With that, a Miller - MAF swap makes a lot of sense as well. We get a UFA goalie that we can squeeze in, Vancouver gets an upgrade and a stop gap between now and when Markstrom is ready. Vancouver have a good 1a/1b duo would help them out a lot IMHO.

I think Van is just going to gamble with Markstrom for the 17/18 season.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014

You didn't just suggest Fleury for Miller is a fair swap did you?

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
It's not a fair swap. But that doesn't mean that it could make a lot of sense for PIT to look into it, because as SEAL said, it does give PIT other benefits.

Yea ik Millers contract expires soon but Fleury is a top 10 goalie who just had his best season. Let's not treat him like a cap dump. He has to be gone before expansion I know that but we can at least get some asset in return that can help the team. Miller+2nd would be nice but Miller for Fleury straight up? Idk about that. If that was the last resort then I can get on board but I hope Rutherford explores all options.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
I cant see MAF accepting a trade to a team with no direction and most likely on a downward spiral. That team needs to rebuild and find a GM.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I cant see MAF accepting a trade to a team with no direction and most likely on a downward spiral. That team needs to rebuild and find a GM.

Fluery has a limited NMC, I doubt Dallas is one of the teams on it.

mgd525

May 18, 2007

I should have quoted but I didn't. My post was in reference to the ones above about Maf for Miller+.

Dallas would be a good fit for MAF that I think he would accept to. Dal isn't on a downward spiral either. I just wanted to clarify.

On the topic of Dallas though, their defense looks awful shaky to go with sub par goalies. A few trades could make them a serious threat imo though.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
On the topic of Dallas though, their defense looks awful shaky to go with sub par goalies. A few trades could make them a serious threat imo though.

Having seen how many other teams do well by injecting youth, and considering all the vets Dallas had last year that improved all the way up to a 2.79GAA, we can't be afraid of youth. I see it as a near perfect transition and building of a D core.

Four years ago (maybe five) Jordie Benn and Brendan Dillon make the big club. Dillon seems to have more upside, but gets traded for Demers, now gone. Benn still here as the 6-7 option, occasionally playing better.

Three years ago, Nemeth comes up for playoffs, stays. (yes, injuries and regression but he was impressive and can regain that form)

Two years ago, Klingberg comes up about 20 games into the season and impresses, becoming one of the NHL top offensive D men.

Last year, Johns comes in late and is impressive, fits seamlessly.

This year, Lindell, called the best D man not in the NHL by some, comes in.

Next year, we also have Honka and maybe Backman coming, with Honka said to be as good as Klingberg.

Yeah, Oleksiak has flopped a bit, but drafting D prospects with your no. 1 and 2 picks for years, and getting a bonus in a firth round pick like Klinger, and then working them in slowly sounds like a good plan to me. Old hockey players get older (Stahl) and young ones get better.

We have been waiting for a good homegrown D to be built for years. Nice to see it come together. These guys have the physical talents and a chance to be bigger and faster than any D we have ever had. Of course, there will be growing pains, and they mostly have to pan out for the Stars to be contenders, so that is a little scary, but not as scary as bringing in retread after retread to what has historically (last ten years) not been a good D.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Here's the truth of the matter regarding this statement (and not just you but anyone that uses it) - we have no idea what teams are on any players list. There are so many things that go into choosing teams that it's nearly impossible to say who is on who's list unless they come out and say it directly.

Fleury may be thrilled at the idea of going to Vancouver but may loathe Dallas or vise versa. We just don't know. Using these types of statements as any indication of whether or not a trade would go down is non-sense. It's a consideration factor but to say "MAF would or wouldn't accept a trade to .... " is a cop-out. More so, there is likely a lot more that goes into the situation than the team's record.

Nichushin, Niemi and a 2017 2nd for MAF?

Done. Done, done, and done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad