OT: Pirates Talk: That Skenes guy is okay at teh baseball

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
We are one of 30-32 cities lucky enough to have a team. And to have that potentially be taken away? **** no. I know people who don't go because of Nutting. That's fine. You don't have to support them. There's so many other teams/sports to follow. Every new season we start 0-0. And that blind optimism will keep me going. Sports are my outlet. Pittsburgh isn't huge but we've got three, generally speaking, extremely successful franchises. So no, its not ok if any of them leave. If you don't work for them, you're supposed to be a fan. Through the good and through the crap. You have every right to hate the path they are on, allowed to be frustrated with the direction. But to actively want them to leave? That's just sad.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, as someone who lost two teams (Nordiques and Expos), I find it sooooooooooo stupid that people would wish for the team to leave. Even a shit team is better than no team at all.

A night at PNC is super fun. The team has an history of over 120 years. You don't flush all of that down the toilet because Bob Nutting is a cheap piece of shit.

140+ years. The Pirates are the 3rd oldest professional sports franchise in the US. And 2nd oldest to stay in one city. (Braves are #1 but have moved several times, Cubs are 2nd oldest)

I find it laughable that they will move. Pittsburgh is a growing market that has a good fanbase. And Pittsburgh has the best stadium in MLB.

MLB wants new cities to pay an expansion fee so the owners can get a piece of the pie. And before someone brings up the A's, totally different situation.

The city and Nutting will come up with an agreement.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The problem is with the enablers who keep owners like Nutting in place.

No amount of fandom should enable this much crooked ownership to stay in place. So while people don't want the team to move, they enable them to stay in purgatory undoing what the ones with courage to walk away from their own fandom and heritage are doing to help everyone be in a better place. There is no middle ground here, you are either for everyone or you are for enabling bad ownership stealing, playing with fans hopes and dreams, squashing them, year in and year out.

So I really don't care what any enablers say or want just to say they have a team. What good is that?

Bad guy just keeps winning with all of you guys approval. He doesn't even need to sellout to profit.

His pockets, thank you very much.

Suckers are born and raised to be Pirate fans. He doesn't share his booty.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Imagine calling fans "enablers" when Nutting would still be making a profit with a completely empty stadium due to revenue sharing.

The most insufferable kind of Pirates fans are the one who belittle others who just want to enjoy watching the Pirates. If you hate the Nutting owned Pirates so much, stop paying attention to them. Don't lecture the actual fans in here based on "YOU'RE GIVING MONEY TO NUTTING!" because we like baseball and the Pirates.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Imagine calling fans "enablers" when Nutting would still be making a profit with a completely empty stadium due to revenue sharing.

The most insufferable kind of Pirates fans are the one who belittle others who just want to enjoy watching the Pirates. If you hate the Nutting owned Pirates so much, stop paying attention to them. Don't lecture the actual fans in here based on "YOU'RE GIVING MONEY TO NUTTING!" because we like baseball and the Pirates.
Revenue sharing isn't for that purpose.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Revenue sharing isn't for that purpose.

They make a ton of money from teams like the Dodgers and Yankees giving up money from their lucrative local TV deals to the poorer teams in the MLB. PNC Park could be a ghost town and Nutting would still make money.

The reality is that no amount of protests are going to change the fact that Bob Nutting owns the team.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
PNC *is* a ghost town and he's still making money

The A's averaged like 3k (butts in seats, "11k official") fans all year. The owner doesn't care. He doesn't even care that they'll be in a AAA ballpark for lord knows how many years. He's leaving Oakland over money, but it obviously isn't REALLY over money...

Now, Nutting is no doubt making millions every year. He could make more or less, if they changed the strategy. But status quo, no MLB team is really losing money.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
They make a ton of money from teams like the Dodgers and Yankees giving up money from their lucrative local TV deals to the poorer teams in the MLB. PNC Park could be a ghost town and Nutting would still make money.

The reality is that no amount of protests are going to change the fact that Bob Nutting owns the team.
That profit sharing is to go into the team not his pocket. And yes, if he has little to no fans he's also getting little to no merchandise and other profits either.

Turning 30.0 down to a minimal 1.0 to 3.0 will certainly cause a farkes.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
There is zero chance that the status quo remains the same if every single person said f*** off as it relates to the Pirates. No chance MLB allows an empty stadium day after day. There are political ramifications to people not buying Pirates products.

Like I said, I want some winning mixed in with the existence of the franchise. The Steelers and Penguins have done that. The Pirates haven't won a playoff series in more than 40 years, unless you count play in WC games.

40 f***ing years of not winning a thing that matters.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people posting here (myself included) weren't even alive the last time the above happened.

Without any semblance of winning, there is no point in having a team. None. Unless you enjoy watching AND PAYING for shit. And a lot of people apparently do.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Yeah, his one note shit is getting tired. No one requires anyone to watch.

That said, I can't believe they are just running it back with Cherington and Shelton. The idea of giving GMBC another offseason of dumpster diving excites no one.
images-2.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad