Value of: Pierre Luc Dubois

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Contenders don't typically trade their most important pieces for underperforming players. I know Byfield is coming along nicely, but this would involve the Rangers voluntarily closing their window on contending for the cup so they could bring him in. That would be beyond foolish.
Sorry, but must pt out the bold is erroneous.

1. Adding hi level foundation youth in Byfield, extends, not closes the window.
This is not like trading LaF + to Habs for Guhle + Reinbacher ++ and I have to wait 1.5 yrs min before Reinbacher gets here.
Byfield contributes immediately and pivots top line Kreider - By -Zib
that stability -> chemistry -> productivity long term is worth it

2. If the Martians kidnapped Shesty + bread, Rs would still be strong
Yes, there may be a short term drop off incl as to growing pains
AND, fair 'nuff, Othmann + Garand may not =/surpass bread + shesty, respectively

but they don't have to =/surpass
they just have to do enough as they improve
that is b'c we are getting Byfield
and short term cap relief, which helps elsewhere

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Dobois waives to the Habs and the Habs have anchor contracts to make it work. Not sure if Gallagher would waive but we do have Anderson as well. I think Gallagher only has a 6 team no trade list anyways. Anderson has a 5 team no trade list. Doubt the Kings are on it.

Huberdeau might waive to LA but doubt Dubois waives for Calgary.

If the Kings do want to make a quick change after a year of Dubois, and they want nothing to do with a buyout, I feel the Habs are the only team that can help and he would waive the NMC. Other teams could help but does he waive.
uncertain, but reasonable to think he waives to try Rs, where he can be in the spotlight + have a chance to play w/LaF + Trocheck

that is also better for MON if we then agree to flip pld at half, presuming enuf is on the table for that...

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary

No you do not

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
If reports are true and Montreal management was interested last year, I see no reason why they would not still be interested today, warts and all.
Because the sample of Dubois shitting the bed is even bigger. That's one more team and already two more coaches who couldn't get him going. I understand believing in second chances but... how many chances can you get?

His entire career is a disappointment, intererspersed with extremely brief flashes of good but not great play. Unlike others on this thread, I'm not saying Dubois is completely untradable. But I'm saying things change extremely fast in hockey and to suggest that, since a team was interested in a player a year ago, it goes without saying they still are when he just had an extremely insulting season after signing a ridiculously massive anchor of a contract, is unrealistic.

Reactions: pouf pouf

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

This is not like trading LaF + to Habs for Guhle + Reinbacher ++ and I have to wait 1.5 yrs min before Reinbacher gets here.

2. If the Martians kidnapped Shesty + bread, Rs would still be strong
Yes, there may be a short term drop off incl as to growing pains
AND, fair 'nuff, Othmann + Garand may not =/surpass bread + shesty, respectively

but they don't have to =/surpass
they just have to do enough as they improve
No, it would close the window now, and it might re-open in 2 or 3 years, depending on if Byfield turns into a 1C. He isn't right now, he is progressing well, but he's not going to contribute as much as Panarin does, nor will he, PLD and the "moderate add" offset the increased goals against the Rangers would experience from trading Shesterkin and replacing him with whatever inferior goalie you managed to obtain. Window is closed next year if you make that trade. It might re-open again in 2 or 3 years. Might.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
I would rather buy out PLD than trade Byfield to ditch the contract
Would rather buyout PLD, Kopitar and Doughty then lose our best up and coming player. Makes absolutely no sense.

Kopi and Doughty are not leading this team anywhere. Byfield is our future. If PLD is being bought out it is to help our future not our current roster

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Imagine thinking the Kings would trade Byfield lol.

Does nobody remember when Dubois had 20 points in 40 games his first year in Winnipeg then was immediatley a 28+ goal scorer and 60 point forward the next two years?

Just so much "what have you done for me lately here". And people still bring up the "big loss of assets" this trade was for LA. Oh no. They lost out on a 4th line winger in Winnipeg who is getting 4 million dollars and Vilardi who can't play more than 15 games without getting injured. What a loss.

The contract is a complete disaster, but people act like this deal handicapped the Kings future. Makes no sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No, it would close the window now, and it might re-open in 2 or 3 years, depending on if Byfield turns into a 1C. He isn't right now, he is progressing well, but he's not going to contribute as much as Panarin does, nor will he, PLD and the "moderate add" offset the increased goals against the Rangers would experience from trading Shesterkin and replacing him with whatever inferior goalie you managed to obtain. Window is closed next year if you make that trade. It might re-open again in 2 or 3 years. Might.
Agree to disagree

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Imagine thinking the Kings would trade Byfield lol.

Does nobody remember when Dubois had 20 points in 40 games his first year in Winnipeg then was immediatley a 28+ goal scorer and 60 point forward the next two years?

Just so much "what have you done for me lately here". And people still bring up the "big loss of assets" this trade was for LA. Oh no. They lost out on a 4th line winger in Winnipeg who is getting 4 million dollars and Vilardi who can't play more than 15 games without getting injured. What a loss.

The contract is a complete disaster, but people act like this deal handicapped the Kings future. Makes no sense.

The trade was dumb, but what we gave up didn’t matter. The fact is that our highest paid forward last season (Dubois) put up fewer than half a point per game and has looked disinterested at best the entire season. He has four shots on goal in four games against Edmonton — three in the first game, one in the three games following — and his only goal, his only point in the entire series, was a deflection off a skate. He’s been an absolute non-factor and he’s only going to get worse throughout his contract in LA.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The trade was dumb, but what we gave up didn’t matter. The fact is that our hight paid forward last season (Dubois) put up fewer than half a point per game and has looked disinterested at best the entire season. He has four shots on goal in four games against Edmonton — three in the first game, one in the three games following — and his only goal, his only point in the entire series, was a deflection off a skate. He’s been an absolute non-factor and he’s only going to get worse throughout his contract in LA.

Meh. Give him more than one year. He sucked in Winnipeg his first year too.

He's also been playing with absolute shit most games outside of Fiala.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Are a few people seriously making excuses for PLDonkey?

Which part of "i dont care" across 3 teams are they missing?

All i can say the Habs missed a nuke in the middle of our rebuild.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
The buyout isn’t bad at all, relatively speaking. Once cap increases start up again like they did pre-Covid, those 3-4 million years won’t be as bad as they look now. And once they clear that last 2.8 year it’s peanuts from there. It could be a lot worse- I don’t know what option is even close to this out there- who is taking on this contract in a way that beats this?

View attachment 862955
There is no chance ownership would sign off on that. I doubt they would be willing to toss out that kinda money to fix Blake’s mistake

Reactions: Habs Halifax
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Let’s get all the jokes out now. Yes, it was a terrible trade for LA. Blake got fleeced and gave out a bad contract to boot. Are there any teams in the league willing to take a flier on PLD? Are there any combinations of players or potentially salary retention that would make him more palatable? I’m hopeful that tomorrow is his last game in a Kings sweater.
Honestly yes I still believe in some kind of redemption

To LA :
Josh Anderson (5,5M$ until 2027)
Christian Dvorak (4,45M until 2026)

To Montréal :
PL Dubois (20 % retained (so 1,7M$ every year until 2031)
2025 LA 1st (should be around 21th overall)
Alex Turcotte

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Honestly yes I still believe in some kind of redemption

To LA :
Josh Anderson (5,5M$ until 2027)
Christian Dvorak (4,45M until 2026)

To Montréal :
PL Dubois (20 % retained (so 1,7M$ every year until 2031)
2025 LA 1st (should be around 21th overall)
Alex Turcotte
I'm sure Kings fans would really want Blake fired if he did this deal.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
There is no chance ownership would sign off on that. I doubt they would be willing to toss out that kinda money to fix Blake’s mistake
It’s a sunk cost. They can pay him 68 million over 8 years to be in LA, or 27.3 million over 14 years to go away. They may or may not care about his cap hit past a certain point depending on their future plans- I don’t know. But hes paid the most early on in his contract- so they’ll save the most money by doing it now. To your point about not wanting to pay that out- he’s owed 22.6 million in real dollars over the next two seasons. Thats 82% of your buyout right there.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
It’s a sunk cost. They can pay him 68 million over 8 years to be in LA, or 27.3 million over 14 years to go away. They may or may not care about his cap hit past a certain point depending on their future plans- I don’t know. But hes paid the most early on in his contract- so they’ll save the most money by doing it now. To your point about not wanting to pay that out- he’s owed 22.6 million in real dollars over the next two seasons. Thats 82% of your buyout right there.
And his production can be replaced by a player making about 2 mil a year. He was real crappy this year.

Reactions: bernmeister

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
frankly I’d keep him and hire a Torts-like or drill instructor coach tasked solely to constantly hound him into giving a damn. For that money you’re either posting numbers or living in emotional pain.

• Haha
Reactions: pouf pouf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad