Phoenix Part XXX Hulz, you gotta get a gimmick if you want to get ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Just FYI, realignment talk has been discouraged in threads past.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
I worded that inaccurately. I believe the owners could conceivably agree to eat another years losses if there were a way to recoup it through moving the team to a market that keeps it in the states. Just remember. ATL situation, to some, is in trouble too, and may need another home. The league may truly think it needs Winnipeg to move the Thrashers. The league really thinks it can make things work in PHX. I think they could be fighting so hard in the desert so WPG is an option for ATL. The league has one owner out there with big time cash and a facility ready for play in 2011. It does not have two. Again, I just think things are a bit more complicated than what appears on the surface.

but the longer you wait, the higher the selling price, that market better peak its head soon, cause the longer you wait the more expensive it will cost everyone.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Ya, I noted the 2 additions so thanks for the link on the 3rd. Is their ANYTHING about this deal they consider Kosher?. Anything at all?. My God. Better go back out to the parking lot for another cart because the shopping list just grows longer by the hour. :laugh:

The city will spend 362 million over the next 30 years for that parking lot. Does this make the parking lot the most valuable piece of property in all of Glendale?

So move that cart off the GOLD MINE, please.

Retail1LO*

but the longer you wait, the higher the selling price, that market better peak its head soon, cause the longer you wait the more expensive it will cost everyone.

In this situation, it surprises me that the league has any leverage in the situation whatsoever. Like it or not, the LEAGUE is the owner of the Phoenix Coyotes, presently. They own a team that is hemorrhaging money like it's its job. That's not exactly a hot commodity. Just to keep the team where it's at, selling it to whomever might be interested, they're having to come up with all kinds of mickey mouse financing options. They practically have to pay someone else to keep it here. As time moves forward, time's going to become an issue. The league will have to move the team elsewhere, putting any prospective destination in the driver seat. If the league tries to ram an inflated price down another markets throat, they can give him the finger, and what else can the league do but sit on the team for another year, or contract?

I just think the league would have some real balls to make another market pay anything more for the team than what it's offering Hulsizer. If TNSE buys this team, it's with their own money. I would think cash would be king over credit, and warrant a discount, but I highly doubt that would be the case. It would be galling to expect someone who's above board to pay more for this team than someone who's trying to get tax payers to pay for his team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The city will spend 362 million over the next 30 years for that parking lot. Does this make the parking lot the most valuable piece of property in all of Glendale?So move that cart off the GOLD MINE, please.

Wont you be needing at least a few to run all of that cash from paid parking over to City Hall with ?. Thats what, $36,000 per parking spot?.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Wont you be needing at least a few to run all of that cash from paid parking over to City Hall with Dado?. Thats what, $36,000 per parking spot?.

:laugh: Dang, never thought of that, yes indeed we'll need a cart to move all that cash:laugh:

debar

Mar 9, 2011
Winnipeg
The Phoenix situation was supposed to be solved by now with MH, but CoG and NHL did not anticipate the wall in front of them called GOLDWATER.

Some reliable sources (imo) have heard straight from TNSE that a deal for ATL to Winnipeg has been done. I still can't wrap my head around what the hell is the NHL going to do if a deal isn't done for MH and Goldwater. This is going to be messy and may affect some positions within the NHL if the owners of 26-29 teams have to stomach the losses of the coyotes for another year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
I'm just thinking out loud, but what about a temporary contraction if worse came to worst? If two teams HAD to move and there was really only one location ready to accept a team for 2011-12. Could the NHL theoretically contract a franchise that they already own for one season, planning for expansion by one team in a years time when more options are available? The league would probably be more willing to lose money on a lame duck season then contract for a year, although if the expansion fee were large enough to not only offset any loses but actually make a profit from it... I guess that would still be pretty risky.

Nevermind. Please go back to your regularly scheduled programing, already in progress...

I really don't think contraction would be in the cards, the NHLPA would scream bloody murder if the league tried that. IMO the costs to break all the contracts would exceed any transfer/reactivation fees the league got down the road and (to the new owner) an established franchise would have a much higher value with the established team, front office and farm system.

That's just my opinion FWIW.

Retail1LO*

I'm not sure we'll see contraction in my life time. Not prior to more expansion first.
Hockey is indeed growing as a sport, and as such, the pool of talent is getting larger, which will eventually make it possible to have more teams without diluting the talent at the NHL level too much. There's a ton of parody in the league because there are just so many talented teams.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I really don't think contraction would be in the cards, the NHLPA would scream bloody murder if the league tried that. IMO the costs to break all the contracts would exceed any transfer/reactivation fees the league got down the road and (to the new owner) an established franchise would have a much higher value with the established team, front office and farm system.

That's just my opinion FWIW.

Yeah, I agree. It's too much hassle. They'd more then likely just bite the bullet for another season.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
God I hope you are right Killion, but I have more and more been getting the sinking feeling that the NHL has been using TNSE and Winnipeg as a pawn.....

I read this theory in innumerable posts on this thread daily and I dont buy it. Gary Bettman is not your enemy. The team left for reasons beyond his or anyone elses' ability to remedy in 96. I agree as well that the league should retract from 2 markets, relo & consolidate, re-visiting expansion in a couple of years to Hamilton & Phoenix, Houston & Portland, possibly even Hartford again though that's pushing it. All of the cliche's about the "Evil Dwarf" & "Count Chocula" are really over the top. Ya he can be obtuse, obstructionist, stubborn, arrogant, but so what?. Who isnt or cant be themselves from time-time?. I like a good Conspiracy Theory as much as the next guy but there just isnt one to be found here. Sure the NHL would prefer a bigger, sexier US market. Where?. Who?. They wouldnt be playing what may appear to be games if they didnt know exactly what they were doing. No way.

WpgJets

Dec 19, 2010
As i posted in the ATL thread as well, I AGREE.

The Phoenix situation was supposed to be solved by now with MH, but CoG and NHL did not anticipate the wall in front of them called GOLDWATER.

Some reliable sources (imo) have heard straight from TNSE that a deal for ATL to Winnipeg has been done. I still can't wrap my head around what the hell is the NHL going to do if a deal isn't done for MH and Goldwater. This is going to be messy and may affect some positions within the NHL if the owners of 26-29 teams have to stomach the losses of the coyotes for another year.

If a ATL was done between TNSE and the NHL why are they continuing this lil song and dance in Glendale ? they should just allow TNSE to take over the franchise if they are committed to Hulsizer.

If this ATL is also true why allow 5-6 bidders to come in and waste their time trying to get a team that's already sold ? doesn't make any sense.

Retail1LO*

I read this theory in innumerable posts on this thread daily and I dont buy it. Gary Bettman is not your enemy. The team left for reasons beyond his or anyone elses' ability to remedy in 96. I agree as well that the league should retract from 2 markets, relo & consolidate, re-visiting expansion in a couple of years to Hamilton & Phoenix, Houston & Portland, possibly even Hartford again though that's pushing it. All of the cliche's about the "Evil Dwarf" & "Count Chocula" are really over the top. Ya he can be obtuse, obstructionist, stubborn, arrogant, but so what?. Who isnt or cant be themselves from time-time?. I like a good Conspiracy Theory as much as the next guy but there just isnt one to be found here. Sure the NHL would prefer a bigger, sexier US market. Where?. Who?. They wouldnt be playing what may appear to be games if they didnt know exactly what they were doing. No way.

LOL @ Count Chocula Oh man. I hadn't heard that one. That seriously made me laugh.

I have a question for you, however. How would a contraction work? That's a LOT of players that need new homes. Would the roster sizes expand? What about salary cap implications? There's be a ton of THAT to eat up. What happens to other players that are property of the contracted teams, such as signed and unsigned draft picks playing in other leagues? Man. Getting rid of a team or two doesn't sound like it'd be any small chore in its own right.

Retail1LO*

Wow. 40 more posts and this thread is toast. 30 threads...THIRTY THOUSAND posts...and still no end to this debacle. LOL

Turkpbr*

A friend of mine called from the outskirts of Winnipeg. He said he saw two Mayflower semi's leaving town heading south on the 75/29. Can anyone confirm?

debar

Mar 9, 2011
Winnipeg
If a ATL was done between TNSE and the NHL why are they continuing this lil song and dance in Glendale ? they should just allow TNSE to take over the franchise if they are committed to Hulsizer.

If this ATL is also true why allow 5-6 bidders to come in and waste their time trying to get a team that's already sold ? doesn't make any sense.

This is going to be off topic, I agree that it doesnt make any sense.

The only thing that has me thinking is Phoenix is making so much noise in the NHL waves right now, and frankly we haven't heard BOO from ATL. TBH, there is really just the beat reporters reporting so many suspected potential bidders. Nothing from TSN, G & M, WFP.

So i guess what im trying to say, i don't think there is any knowledge of truly how many are interested in keeping ATL in ATL.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the NHL is willing to take this to court. While what feels like eons ago Bettman did in fact say that there was a time limit on the deal, current statements from the NHL make it seem as if it is resolved to go ahead with the bond sale regardless of the threats by the GWI (which would force them to take action). Bettman has shown us before he's not afraid of going to court to ensure hockey does not depart from the south, just recall the situation with Jimmy Blackberry not-so-long-ago. So buckle up folks, this could just be the beginning.

One person posted before about how they think all the conspiracy theories about Bettman are bogus. I tend to agree, but that doesn't mean that Bettman will not exhaust every possible option, even those as ludacris as the current proposal to finance the Yotes, to avoid the NHL from returning to Winnipeg. It's been stated before, but I speculate that it's an issue of pride for him: he was certain that hockey would work in the sunbelt, and now that it's failing his grand initiative, one of the things he hoped to build his commissionaire legacy on, is at risk of being tarnished. As an administrator he has failed on many other fronts (you know what these are, but if you really want I could break this down) and he may feel that this is his last chance to preserve his reputation. To let the NHL move from the south back to Winnipeg would be admitting defeat, which is not something Count Chocula is willing to do. This is all speculative of course, but I feel it is educated speculation, based on a history of Bettman's stubbornness and well, human nature.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
The more I think about it, the more it seems to me that the NHL is willing to take this to court. While what feels like eons ago Bettman did in fact say that there was a time limit on the deal, current statements from the NHL make it seem as if it is resolved to go ahead with the bond sale regardless of the threats by the GWI (which would force them to take action). Bettman has shown us before he's not afraid of going to court to ensure hockey does not depart from the south, just recall the situation with Jimmy Blackberry not-so-long-ago. So buckle up folks, this could just be the beginning.

One person posted before about how they think all the conspiracy theories about Bettman are bogus. I tend to agree, but that doesn't mean that Bettman will not exhaust every possible option, even those as ludacris as the current proposal to finance the Yotes, to avoid the NHL from returning to Winnipeg. It's been stated before, but I speculate that it's an issue of pride for him: he was certain that hockey would work in the sunbelt, and now that it's failing his grand initiative, one of the things he hoped to build his commissionaire legacy on, is at risk of being tarnished. As an administrator he has failed on many other fronts (you know what these are, but if you really want I could break this down) and he may feel that this is his last chance to preserve his reputation. To let the NHL move from the south back to Winnipeg would be admitting defeat, which is not something Count Chocula is willing to do. This is all speculative of course, but I feel it is educated speculation, based on a history of Bettman's stubbornness and well, human nature.

I hate to give a short answer to a long idea but once again, the biggest argument to your theory is that the other owners some who are in financial trouble would be on the hook for another year of losses, Plus court costs plus they wait another year for the 5.5 million they will get from the sale of the team

OnionPuck

Mar 22, 2011
WPG
^ That could very well be correct, but like I said it's just speculation... but if it is a matter of pride, then reputation > cost (plus, while those costs you mentioned do exist, they are something that will most likely be ignored in such a scenario).

Dado

Why would so many owners who themselves are having trouble selling their own teams be ok with dropping another whack of cash on Phoenix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark