Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
... oh yeah, dont I know it... just taking a shot at the narratives we keep hearing from LeBlanc, earlier from Bettman ... who also when asked about the building in Glendale should the team leave suggested they "may have to shutter it up".... I mean, all just so absurd... world turned inside out & upside down by these idiots... simply cant cut it without massive public subsidies, know it, think their entitled to it & thats that.... In what other business Boris? In real life, and Im in sports & entertainment, most of us live or die on our wits, our own wherewithal's. Just look at that Lease theyve now got with the COG/AEG? Extremely favorable, beyond generous but Baby wont get off the bottle. Either grow up & deal with what youve got or get the Hell out of the State already.

LeBlanc sucking on the 'subsidy' teet is not the image I needed planted in my mind's eye there... :laugh:

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Three bills up today in the Senate, but not SB1149. There's more and more of a ghost-town silence coming from Worsleyville these days, just a hot wind howling through abandoned streets; an occasional lizard darting across a dusty road; little hope any more that anyone's coming back to revive this God-forsaken desert outpost of a bill. Buildings crumbling, being torn apart for firewood. Wire back to the mapmakers back East: You can take this ghost town off the charts when you print next year's maps. Gone.

Senate COW posted for March 8...four bills...but not LeBlanc's 'bill'...

Nothing on the House side...but that may still play out for Thursday, March 9...

Oh boy, is this great! - Flounder from Animal House

:popcorn:

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
. . . Next day like clockwork, LeBlanc is out demanding the press to "Be concerned about the local gov't of Glendale".

Yeah, which is why a lot of us are looking forward to the new ownership group headed by Alice Cooper. Speaking of which, online this morning . . .

AZ Central sat down with new Coyotes owner and NHL governor Alice Cooper. "Welcome, Mr. Cooper."

AC: Great.

azc: So how did you come to be the owner of the Coyotes?

AC: Well, they tell me I was on Bettman's Rolodex. Dude calls me one morning, suddenly it's, like, Telephone is Ringing! I look up and I can't believe how early he's calling - it's like 11:30! Let a guy get some rest. So I groan into the phone, "call me back at 4:00." He says he's coming to Phoenix and would like to meet with me.

azc: Did you meet him here in Phoenix, then?

AC: Yeah, I told him he could find me at the Bikini Bar down on Grand. Dude comes in there all suit-and-tie. Most uptight guy I've ever seen. Dude needs to smash a Stratocaster or two against a wall, release some tension!

azc: OK, so what did Mr. Bettman tell you?

AC: Oh, he said I needed to know there were some arena problems. Hey, I told him, been there - like that concert in Philly in '76 when the police wouldn't let us leave the arena! Nothing I haven't dealt with before!

azc: So you bought the club, but the league is balking at your plans to rename the team the Phoenix Feed-My-Frankensteins?

AC: Yeah, said they want to cash the checks first, then we can talk about that.

azc: So what other changes do you plan for the Coyotes?

AC: Oh, yeah. Well, first off, Welcome to My Nightmare as our new goal song. But that won't be the only music. We're going to hang a floating concert stage from the rafters and put on a full concert above the ice during the games! And we're going to have a horror-themed team website!

azc: Well, you know, Mr. Cooper, the league gets to run the websites - there was a court case about that. And they get a say about the goal songs, too. They could assign you some sing-songy kids' song like in New York and Chicago - you'll be hoping to God your team never scores a goal!

AC: I didn't know it was that bad.

azc: Oh, yeah, and the debt is going to be unbelievable.

AC: No, I got a deal with my purchase price of $500.000.001. No debt!

azc: No, Mr. Cooper, you paid for all the old debt; all of the new debt that accrues is yours.

AC: No way!!

azc: What changes do you plan for the team itself?

AC: None. They're a young team. They're 18 and I Like It!

azc: Well, I can see you're very enthusiastic about this new gig - even coming to an interview in that goalie mask!

AC: What goalie mask, dude? That's my makeup!!

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Looks like he could be an owner...

DSC08942-700x340.jpg

Snack anyone?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Someone said there hasn't been any marketing from the team for 17-18 season tickets. True or false?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Someone said there hasn't been any marketing from the team for 17-18 season tickets. True or false?

As the arizonacoyotes.com web site still has the 2016/17 ticket pricing, with no announcement for the 2017/18 season...I would say that it is a true statement...

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
As the arizonacoyotes.com web site still has the 2016/17 ticket pricing, with no announcement for the 2017/18 season...

I don't know how significant that is, though. The Wild also have nothing public on their website about 2017-18 season tickets or pricing, but they've already communicated with their season ticket holders privately about renewing, with the first deadline at the end of this month. Yotes' ticket holders might have the same thing happening now, with marketing of next year's ticket packages to the public coming soon.

It does need to start soon, though. You'd think you could maybe get some people to commit after having a good time at a game, and there's only a month of those left.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I meant not on their web site, but individually. Any sth here who can answer?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Salvo from the Commissioner...

NHL commissioner: Coyotes 'can't and won't' play in Glendale

To quote:

"In a letter Tuesday to the 90 members of the Arizona Legislature, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the Arizona Coyotes “must have a new arena location to succeed” and “will not remain in Glendale.”

Bettman says he wants to make it “abundantly clear” that the team can’t make money at Glendale’s Gila River Arena:

“The Coyotes current location is not economically capable of supporting a successful NHL franchise. For the past 15 years a succession of ownership groups have have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financial sustainable. Our combined efforts have all yielded the same result - a consistent economic loss.”"

Source: http://www.12news.com/sports/nhl/coyotes/nhl-commissioner-coyotes-cant-play-in-glendale/420599553

Link to full letter (PDF): https://assets.documentcloud.org/do...missioner-Gary-Bettman-Letter-on-Glendale.pdf

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

To quote:

"In a letter Tuesday to the 90 members of the Arizona Legislature, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the Arizona Coyotes “must have a new arena location to succeed†and “will not remain in Glendale.â€

Bettman says he wants to make it “abundantly clear†that the team can’t make money at Glendale’s Gila River Arena:

“The Coyotes current location is not economically capable of supporting a successful NHL franchise. For the past 15 years a succession of ownership groups have have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financial sustainable. Our combined efforts have all yielded the same result - a consistent economic loss.â€"

Source: http://www.12news.com/sports/nhl/coyotes/nhl-commissioner-coyotes-cant-play-in-glendale/420599553

Link to full letter (PDF): https://assets.documentcloud.org/do...missioner-Gary-Bettman-Letter-on-Glendale.pdf

Nice find Llama... Commissioner Bettman finally steps up to the plate and as expected, fully conversant with the proposal, Bill... while at the same time stating that a meeting was held just last week with the COG & still at loggerheads. No surprise there.... Was curious about the Leagues seeming absence in this whole issue so some clarity.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
No sth info yet. Bettman comes out today. I would not have thought this last week, but this tips the scale a little more toward an immediate relocation.

Further, Bettman coming out process that the bill is dying. This is a desperate measure. Once again, I hate Bettman. Such a snake. How do you know he's lying? When he's talking.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Nice find Llama... Commissioner Bettman finally steps up to the plate and as expected, fully conversant with the proposal, Bill... while at the same time stating that a meeting was held just last week with the COG & still at loggerheads. No surprise there.... Was curious about the Leagues seeming absence in this whole issue so some clarity.

All that each of the Senators need to do is read this:

Glendale report: Contract Compliance Review: Professional Management Services and Arena Lease Agreement (C-8532)

Link: http://www.glendaleaz.com/auditor/documents/ArenaContractComplianceReview2015.pdf

Even with a new arena with massive tax breaks including receiving an 'arena management' fee...this franchise will never be viable anywhere in the valley...

No sth info yet. Bettman comes out today. I would not have thought this last week, but this tips the scale a little more toward an immediate relocation.

You said it...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Gary Bettman said:
“The Coyotes current location is not economically capable of supporting a successful NHL franchise. For the past 15 years a succession of ownership groups have have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financial sustainable."

"...hell, we even tried completely failing to live up to our lease agreement there for a few years, and even THAT didn't work!"

Screw you, Bettman, you little troll... I've had enough spin from the political arena in the past few weeks to last me a lifetime, I don't need to hear more of it from you. Count this Coyotes fan and former season ticket holder as one who would rather see the team leave than see you and your idiot pawns milk another Arizona town out of subsidy money. :rant:

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James

OH my holy god! Bettman continues with the "they cancelled it!!!" rhetoric in reference to Glendale.

Anyone familiar with the Pollock economic study he mentions in the letter?

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
OH my holy god! Bettman continues with the "they cancelled it!!!" rhetoric in reference to Glendale.

Anyone familiar with the Pollock economic study he mentions in the letter?

It was presented to Sen Worsley's committee...where we have already commented on...

Next thread title: Phoenix CXXIV: Bettman Makes It "abundantly clear"

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

To quote:

"In a letter Tuesday to the 90 members of the Arizona Legislature, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the Arizona Coyotes “must have a new arena location to succeed†and “will not remain in Glendale.â€

Bettman says he wants to make it “abundantly clear†that the team can’t make money at Glendale’s Gila River Arena:

“The Coyotes current location is not economically capable of supporting a successful NHL franchise. For the past 15 years a succession of ownership groups have have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financial sustainable. Our combined efforts have all yielded the same result - a consistent economic loss.â€"

Whoa! Bettman gets involved in the lobbying! Shows they still need to push this thing, that it doesn't have the needed votes yet, or at least that it's close. Some will view this as the head of an industry weighing in, as he has the right to do; I and many here will probably view it as Bettman stabbing one more knife into Glendale.

I still find it interesting that neither Bettman or Daly weighed in during the committee hearing, though. Because there, he would have had to answer direct questions from the Senators! Crafty, minimal exposure for himself and the league, but nevertheless he got his "threat" made known to all the politicos in Arizona. NHL: "We wouldn't want anything to happen to your major league hockey team, but . . . "

(Dang, this kind of knocked the Alice Cooper interview right off the front pages. I wonder if Bettman speaking out might mean a vote is coming soon, though. The Senate might not let Worsley wait forever if he wants a vote this session).

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Phoenix CXXIV: Alternative Facts

Phoenix CXXIV: Baghdad Bettman

Phoenix CXXIV: This... is Extort-Center!

Phoenix CXXIV: Subsidy-Way... Eat Fresh (BS)!

Phoenix CXXIV: Poo-topia

Phoenix CXXIV: Sad!

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
LOL at Bettman saying they tried everything imaginable in Glendale. Only imagination they used was trying to get the city to pay 100 million for a parking lot they already owned and trying to squeeze every penny they could out of Glendale. They used their imagination by trying to spend under the floor by taking contracts like Pronger and Datsyuk.
They tried everything imaginable except putting a decent product on the ice the fans would get excited over.

What a joke. I know Bettman is only doing his job but this is beyond pathetic. Its also a sign of desperation. Free lunch is over in Arizona.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

To quote:

"In a letter Tuesday to the 90 members of the Arizona Legislature, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the Arizona Coyotes “must have a new arena location to succeed” and “will not remain in Glendale.”

Bettman says he wants to make it “abundantly clear” that the team can’t make money at Glendale’s Gila River Arena:

“The Coyotes current location is not economically capable of supporting a successful NHL franchise. For the past 15 years a succession of ownership groups have have tried everything imaginable to make the Glendale location financial sustainable. Our combined efforts have all yielded the same result - a consistent economic loss.”"

Yikes, this looks real bad for the Coyotes. If it's Gary coming to pinch-hit for the Coyotes, you know desperation is setting in.

Now, bringing out the big guns worked to intimidate the Glendale City Council... but can it intimidate a State Legislature? I don't think so.

It really seems like the team is in deep trouble in the immediate short term future (like this summer or next) if the bill dies.

But we'll see!

Also, it's now official: HAPPY 10th ANNIVERSARY OF COYOTES MEGATHREADS! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Coyotes to lose 30 Millions? March 2007

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!

For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

For auld lang syne.

:banana::clap::jump::scared::cheers::5::hyper: :wave: :party::hbday::bday::bb::pcheer::partytime:

YAY! Here's to ten more years of Coyotes madness! :yo:

Last edited:

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Tried everything? Yikes....its so hard to like this league at times when they try this narrative on the mouth-breathers. I hope no one actually believes this, right?

A new arena is not the silver bullet...

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Tried everything? Yikes....its so hard to like this league at times when they try this narrative on the mouth-breathers. I hope no one actually believes this, right?

A new arena is not the silver bullet...

But...it is still a bullet...and Bettman had to fire it...

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Just another lie in a long long list of lies from Buttman. I remember fondly the threat towards Glendale council and the $15 million subsidy. He said then that without the handout the team would have to leave..well the handout is long gone and they are still there. If they stubbornly refuse to go to Quebec then they really have nowhere else to go. Call their bluff and we can happily watch the NHL lose scary amounts of money in Glendale. It couldn't happen to a more deserving group of thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad