GDT: philly cane

what do you want for xmas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I've never played the game, so this really is a question: why don't they ever try to set up something from behind the net on the PP? Seems like a lot of their 5-on-5 goals lately have started behind the net, and seems like a defense that needs to account for a Svech lax attempt might really open up the ice for the rest of the team with a couple quick passes.

Also: why not try Turbo QBing the 2nd PP unit? He's one of the best passers on the team and strong defensively (for a forward, at least). Is he going to be much worse defensively back there than Burns?

Last edited:

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I've never played the game, so this really is a question: why don't they ever try to set up something from behind the net on the PP? Seems like a lot of their 5-on-5 goals lately have started behind the net, and seems like a defense that needs to account for a Svech lax attempt might really open up the ice for the rest of the team with a couple quick passes.

Also: why not try Turbo QBing the 2nd PP unit? He's one of the best passers on the team and strong defensively (for a forward, at least). Is he going to be much worse defensively back there than Burns?
Unless you’ve got Gretzky back there, it’s fairly easy to keep pucks to the outside with a guy parked behind the net. I hear you on the potential for the Svech lax attempt … but, I think that’s more of a “while in motion” move to have the momentum, instead of being at a stop.

As far as Turbo, it might have something to do with his lack of looking for his own shot. If you don’t have a guy who at least thinks about shooting, you can kind of telegraph passes.

On the other hand, watching Pesce “QB” the PP2 lately has made me somewhat nauseous, so you might be on to something.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
It’ll change as he’s a shooter, but he’s also not the quickest fella so it could also amplify the standing around look. When I watch the other teams broadcasts it’s the one thing they mention as a negative. Such a great team with tons of flow and movement…yet so stationary and stagnant on the pp.
It looks like nobody is allowed to challenge their man and make a play. The PP options for guys appear to be prioritized in order as 1) make the safe pass, 2) take a point/outside shot into traffic and 3) attempt crazy cross-ice passes through traffic which either fails or results in the receiver defaulting back to priority 1 rather than trying to make a play with the movement.

Guys like Svechnikov, Aho or Necas should have agency to beat a PKer and generate a high-danger chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad