Phillip Broberg

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Holloway and Broberg were a big part of the oilers depth in the playoffs last year. Can see why they didn't match, but quants aren't great gms.
Anyone can see why they didn't match. It's a harder thing to understand why the Oilers tried to lowball them after they had run out of cap space instead of signing their RFAs then see how much cap space they had left and leave themselves vulnerable to offer sheets.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
The Oilers have always been like this.

Taylor Hall-Eberle were notoriously cliqueish. I think it's partly because ownership treats certain players like royalty insofar as the favoritism will breed contempt among players.
That’s the vibe I get, an organizational culture of hero-worship. I’m not overly concerned about this year’s slow start but I’m a bit skeptical of their ability to replicate last year’s deep run. I just think success in dysfunctional organizations is rare, and when achieved tends to be fleeting rather than sustained.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Anyone can see why they didn't match. It's a harder thing to understand why the Oilers tried to lowball them after they had run out of cap space instead of signing their RFAs then see how much cap space they had left and leave themselves vulnerable to offer sheets.
They ran out of cap space for *checks notes* Arvidsson and his *checks notes again* 3 assists he collected just tonight.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
justifiable reasons for using up their cap space if you ask me :naughty::naughty:

Arvidsson = former King
Skinner = Skinner's brother
Henrique = former Duck
Perry = Finals lucky charm

(whose the former Shark to complete the Cali trio you ask? well, they do have Evander lol)

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Really nice of the Oilers to bring Broberg along slowly and give him that extra year of experience in Bakersfield. It really benefitted the kid and when he was called up for the final time in last years playoffs he was ready to hit the ground running.

One of the few times the Oilers didn’t rush a guy and instead let him develop properly so he could maximize his potential. Nice work to the Oilers. Kudos on your work with Broberg. He’s a gem.

Nah they let most of the recent prospects simmer instead of rushing them... McLeod, Holloway, Bouchard, Vinny D, Kesselring, Benson (bust), Marody (bust), Yams (bust-ish), Samarukov (bust), Bear, Lagesson, C.Jones, Broberg, Skinner, etc. The Condors had a good team under Woodcroft years. Lots of solid depth D developed.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Nah they let most of the recent prospects simmer instead of rushing them... McLeod, Holloway, Bouchard, Vinny D, Kesselring, Benson (bust), Marody (bust), Yams (bust-ish), Samarukov (bust), Bear, Lagesson, C.Jones, Broberg, Skinner, etc. The Condors had a good team under Woodcroft years. Lots of solid depth D developed.
I think you make a fair point. The oilers used to have a rep for rushing prospects, but that is probably an out of date view since Holland took over.

Would push back on counting busts here tho. The busts likely stayed in the A because they couldn't make the jump, not cause the org necessarily wanted them to stay there.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Just to correct what you posted.

Broberg's agent wrote the offer sheet and took it to Blues and then they did back flips and said yeah and signed it.

Broberg's agent organized it not the Blues.

Oilers screwed up big time and they are not done screwing up. They have Draistle new contract kicking and Bouchard needs a new one--next years off season will be has crazy
Watch them give boobshart 12 million so they can save face
If Broberg was a part of McDavid's inner circle like Brown, Nurse, Drai, Jackson, etc he would have been locked up quickly...pure failure.
McDavid's country club??

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Watch them give boobshart 12 million so they can save face

McDavid's country club??

Yes, after the Jackson hiring you could see the McDavid nepotism in all aspects of Oilers hockey...in the end he failed and ended up sobbing on Amazon. Players should not have that much influence over their clubs, but maybe failure after failure will open their eyes...

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Maybe the Oilers should let management handle the roster instead of McDavid. Because it’s it’s not working.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think you make a fair point. The oilers used to have a rep for rushing prospects, but that is probably an out of date view since Holland took over.

Would push back on counting busts here tho. The busts likely stayed in the A because they couldn't make the jump, not cause the org necessarily wanted them to stay there.
The pendulum kind of swung the other way.

Holland refused to let anyone play while on their ELC and it royally f***ed up their cap because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad