Phillip Broberg

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Broberg wasn't a part of the inner circle of McDavid like Brown so he got left in the cold and became a mistreated asset...glad he is finding success now.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
We’re also coupling it with the postseason he just had. I think its fair to roll that play into the conversation.

Straw man argument. Literally no one is talking Norris. We’re talking about living up to the contract signed. Nothing more.

I think it's fair to say Broberg is more than living up to the contract, so far.

It's also fair to say there was some risk to that happening and Oilers couldn't afford to make that $4.6M gamble this year, and especially not next year.

As it is, Oilers will have $4.5M at the deadline to spend how they please and next year they will have Draisaitl under contract and no risk of losing Bouch.

If they'd signed Broberg they would have: i) no cap at the deadline, ii) need to shed cap THIS YEAR if Kane looks to be coming back before the playoffs, and iii) at greater risk to lose something significant this summer in order to fit in Bouch

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Oilers should have bit the bullet and matched. They spent years developing him to be a potential replacement for Ekholm and Nurse. Now they’ll have to spend assets just to acquire another top 4 Dman that will probably be making more than 4.6 million. It would have been tough this season to fit the contract in but it’s not impossible, they just wouldn’t have had any cap space at the deadline to add a player but instead they’ll be hoping to add a player at the deadline that will be as good as Broberg…..

I know some people will post about advanced stats and how Broberg is getting very lucky but you have to be good to be lucky and there’s so much potential with the player. The Blues pretty much got their future top pairing Dman for the next 10 years for a 2nd because the Oilers are hoping that the right top 4, rental Dman becomes available at the deadline so they could waste more assets on a 1-2 year rental instead of looking long term with Broberg.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Happy to see him having a strong start. I still think it was too risky for the Oilers to match. The blues had the flexibility to absorb him even if he didn’t pan out. Door is still open in Edmonton to add a more proven player.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

Pronger, MacInnis, Stevens, Housley, Pietrangelo…some pretty good d-men have played for the Blues yet it’s Broberg with a 5 game point streak to start his Blues career.

I wouldn’t agree with the OP that he’s been the Blues’ best d-man though. He’s been the best at the role he’s been playing - which has mostly been as our #4. He’s absolutely excelling as our #4. Doesn’t mean that’d continue if we all of a sudden gave him the toughest minutes that Parayko faces. But he’s been really good and a great start for him. Happy he’s here.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
B) Let him walk, don't use Kane's LTIR, have $945K accrue to $4.5M at the deadline (plus Kane's LTIR if he's still projected to be out) and use that space on the best vet RD money can buy

Probably the best choice once it got to that point.

But there's no guarantee any RHD of note will be available in a given year, nor are they so loaded with prospects and young pieces that they would be front runners to put together the best offer if one does become available.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Happy to see him succeed. He didn't really get much of a shot in Edmonton, and was never put in the best position. He wanted too much for what he had shown and St Louis stepped up with a big contract. Will be interesting to watch over the next few years.

He got chances.

2 camps in a row he showed up and played soft, scared hockey and was clearly not ready. He then had his agent make noise about wanting out, had a decent AHL season and then a whopping 10 game post season where he looked like he took the next step.

It was a gamble from the Blues and it has paid off so far.

I was happy the Oilers did not match, Oilers need some flexibility cap wise to assess where the true holes in the line up are as the season progresses.

They better add someone significant or they won’t be in the finals. What will be available and if they have assets to acquire such player is another story. Not a lot of quality at TDL.

The D core is worse without Ceci and Broberg and it wasn’t very good to begin with.

Losing Broberg for nothing was a complete failure.

I love that Broberg is talked about like he play 100 games as a key cog in the run last year.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I think must oil fans are happy for bro and hollo.

This was a great job by the blues gm... It's working great. Happy for blues and bro.

But in August...I can't think of a single oil fan that wanted bro for 4.5m in our cap strapped roster.

Yes.. I blame oilers management

• Haha
Reactions: McHelpus

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Oilers should have bit the bullet and matched. They spent years developing him to be a potential replacement for Ekholm and Nurse. Now they’ll have to spend assets just to acquire another top 4 Dman that will probably be making more than 4.6 million. It would have been tough this season to fit the contract in but it’s not impossible, they just wouldn’t have had any cap space at the deadline to add a player but instead they’ll be hoping to add a player at the deadline that will be as good as Broberg…..

I know some people will post about advanced stats and how Broberg is getting very lucky but you have to be good to be lucky and there’s so much potential with the player. The Blues pretty much got their future top pairing Dman for the next 10 years for a 2nd because the Oilers are hoping that the right top 4, rental Dman becomes available at the deadline so they could waste more assets on a 1-2 year rental instead of looking long term with Broberg.

Broberg isn't and wasn't going to be a right-shot D though, no matter how well he develops. He's showing out well precisely because St. Louis has a spot for him on his natural side. We'll also see have to if it continues, players have hot streaks in new environments all the time and then never match it again. Broberg had a history of playing scared/meek here no matter how we used him.

Do I think management screwed up in not dealing with the situation earlier and trying to get more value for him? Absolutely, but Ken Holland wears most of that and he's gone now. As it is, Jackson/Bowman picked up two younger prospects over the summer who have a chance at bringing back a player with term similar to the Ekholm deal. That's really what we need, not another lefty who wasn't going to get ample minutes with the $9M man currently on the second pair.

As for Ekholm/"the Ekholm tree"... sure, we're likely not going to get that lucky again, but a #3/4 who can play responsible hockey for 3-4 years should absolutely be attainable for some combination of picks, Savoie, and O'Reilly. I'd be disappointed actually if the JJ/Bowman can't deliver that. It's the one major hole left on a roster that's more or less falling into place.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
He got chances.

2 camps in a row he showed up and played soft, scared hockey and was clearly not ready. He then had his agent make noise about wanting out, had a decent AHL season and then a whopping 10 game post season where he looked like he took the next step.

It was a gamble from the Blues and it has paid off so far.

I was happy the Oilers did not match, Oilers need some flexibility cap wise to assess where the true holes in the line up are as the season progresses.

I love that Broberg is talked about like he play 100 games as a key cog in the run last year.
To be fair, he never got an opportunity to really play his natural position (LD). I do agree he didn't impress in camps though.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Broberg wasn't a part of the inner circle of McDavid like Brown so he got left in the cold and became a mistreated asset...glad he is finding success now.
Code:
Philip Broberg
Defense
Born Jun 25 2001  -- Orebro, Sweden
Height 6.04 -- Weight 212 -- Shoots L

Selected by Edmonton Oilers round 1 #8 overall 2019 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017-18  AIK Jr.                     Swe-J  23    6    7   13    6
2017-18  Orebro HK Jr.               Swe-J  15    0    2    2    0
2018-19  AIK Jr.                     Swe-J   8    2    6    8    8
2018-19  AIK                         Swe-1  41    2    7    9   14
2019-20  Skelleftea AIK              SweHL  45    1    7    8    6
2020-21  Skelleftea AIK              SweHL  44    3   10   13   10  12   0   0   0   2
2021-22  Edmonton Oilers             NHL    23    1    2    3    8   1   0   0   0   0
2021-22  Bakersfield Condors         AHL    31    4   19   23   18   4   0   1   1   0
2022-23  Edmonton Oilers             NHL    46    1    7    8    2   9   0   0   0   4
2022-23  Bakersfield Condors         AHL     7    2    2    4    0  --  --  --  --  --
2023-24  Edmonton Oilers             NHL    12    0    2    2    0  10   2   1   3   0
2023-24  Bakersfield Condors         AHL    49    5   33   38   16   2   0   1   1   0
2024-25  St. Louis Blues             NHL     5    1    4    5    4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         NHL Totals                         86    3   15   18   14  20   2   1   3   4
Current statistics as of 2024-10-18

Drafted #8 in 2019 by EDM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad