Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
My hats off to this guy, he was one of the few bright lights last night huge potential and it looks like his development was handled very well, the game is slowing down for him. Having a huge asset like this actually makes fixing the defense a very easy job next year.

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
My hats off to this guy, he was one of the few bright lights last night huge potential and it looks like his development was handled very well, the game is slowing down for him. Having a huge asset like this actually makes fixing the defense a very easy job next year.
I mean fixing the defense and making proper room for Broberg still starts with trading Nurse and that will be damn near impossible.

But I agree, he's been fantastic since drawing in.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah he has looked very solid actually. Might have been a best defender through the first 2 games of the final, which is just as much of an indictment to our other D, but that is a different thread.

I mean fixing the defense and making proper room for Broberg still starts with trading Nurse and that will be damn near impossible.

We are never going to be able to trade Nurse, its not happening. He has one of the worst contracts in the league, we are stuck with him no matter what.

Reactions: Game 8

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Yeah he has looked very solid actually. Might have been a best defender through the first 2 games of the final, which is just as much of an indictment to our other D, but that is a different thread.

We are never going to be able to trade Nurse, its not happening. He has one of the worst contracts in the league, we are stuck with him no matter what.

Yep him or Kulak, not coincidentally their two most mobile defenceman.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Him emerging and Bouchard looking pretty elite also means this team is pretty well set up to be a contender for at least half a decade if not longer, IF McDavid and Draisaitl stays that is.
Nuge and Hyman look like they should be useful for a few years more. Holloway should at least be a middle sixer.
Ekholm is at an age when the wheels could come off suddenly but as of now he looks like value for the rest of his contract( until 25/26). Nurse is overpaid and really struggling currently but he's certainly a legit NHL D who can handle top 4 duty.
That's a pretty solid group to build on. There are some problematic contracts and players not up to par but a smart/decent GM should be able to work around them.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003

Agree with Mcjaddog Nurse is unmovable, best you can do is keep moving him down the lineup and find someone to cover for him with Cecis replacement.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Him emerging and Bouchard looking pretty elite also means this team is pretty well set up to be a contender for at least half a decade if not longer, IF McDavid and Draisaitl stays that is.
Nuge and Hyman look like they should be useful for a few years more. Holloway should at least be a middle sixer.
Ekholm is at an age when the wheels could come off suddenly but as of now he looks like value for the rest of his contract( until 25/26). Nurse is overpaid and really struggling currently but he's certainly a legit NHL D who can handle top 4 duty.
That's a pretty solid group to build on. There are some problematic contracts and players not up to par but a smart/decent GM should be able to work around them.
Bottom six needs a good upgrade but that should be easy although we never seem to be able to do it. The flames have traded away a ton of useful players, they won't trade with us so we need to find a similar team in the other Conference that hates Florida 😂

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Broberg. The one shining beacon of light in these SCFs. He’s been good and we have a player here. Just what our right side ordered moving forward.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Broberg era has finally begun. Can’t believe I’m saying this. But I shouldn’t be that surprised, the moment i saw how effective Coffey was at coaching D I thought we must give him a shot at working with Broberg.

Already paying dividends as Broberg had a couple of missed outlets in game 5 that Coffey pumped him up on bench to stabilize that part of his game.

But not much was needed by Coffey in these 2 games overall. Broberg was completely solid, and really showcased his elite skating. It’s a deceptive type of speed to me anyways in that his legs aren’t moving a mile a minute like McDavid, they are long powerful strides that look effortless in getting him to top speed. McDavid saying in his post game: “his legs are a gift”. Boy are they ever.

He’s also really thickened up. Looks huge out there. Used to be a bit of a beanpole but now that’s he’s filled out that combination of size and speed is going to super effective in the NHL.

All that needs to come now is for him to build his Hockey Iq with reps in the big leagues. Expedite that learning with Ekholm mentorship and we are on our way to yet another impact Oiler.
100 %. Broberg looks like a very capable NHL defenseman on the biggest stage while some other vets continue to shit the bed. I see some good things in his future. Anyone still in love with Zegras?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
100 %. Broberg looks like a very capable NHL defenseman on the biggest stage while some other vets continue to shit the bed. I see some good things in his future. Anyone still in love with Zegras?
Really loving his game. And his physical attributes which is really what alllowed him to dominate as a junior, are finally developed where he can have an advantage at the NHL level too with his size and skating. Good things are definately ahead with this player.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nice to see Broberg step up under the lights of this team's biggest stage. He's been calm, poised and efficient in all zones. Funny when American Dangle started to tilt sideways, how the narrative switched off him to like five other prospect options that the Oilers should have drafted.

Needed a better organizational development strategy but also can't dismiss the reality that the organization needed immediate NHL veteran blueline upgrades and moved on Keith, Kulak and Ekholm since Broberg's draft day pushing him down the depth chart. Here in the NHL Final and its the young guy who gets pushed to his off-shooting side.

It's most likely a prospect D is going to arrive later than forward options. Damn tough position with far less safety net. Nice to see this organization have a solid, cheap and upwardly mobile support d-man in the fold.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
6'4 D, elite level skating, now showing above average IQ at the pro level. Highly skilled. Only 22 yrs old.

Shea Weber was nothing until age 23. Lidstrom became useful at age 25. I found it funny when people wanted to dump broberg last season.

I wouldn't be surprised in a few years when people do a 2019 redraft and it goes jack Hughes, then Broberg.

If the Oilers were leading the series or even just down 2-1, Broberg would have been this year's 2022 Bowen Byram.
Byram's ceiling won't be as high as Broberg. Byram doesn't read the play as well as Broberg.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I'm glad he's finally arrived. What a blessing for the team. We knew he'd be a long-term project when he was drafted and now it's showing off. He's more useful than Zegras would be
Puck moving D don't grow on trees. I wouldn't be surprised if Broberg takes the #1 Left D spot from Ekholm by the end of next season. Ekholm can go lug around kulak or ceci.

Funny take on Broberg. Completely wrong.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
This needed a bump.
His biggest game in the NHL tomorrow night for the kid, talk about baptism by fire, he looks so cool, calm and collective out there. Keep it going Philip! The new coaching staff, with Coffey in particular deserve a big thumbs up.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Puck moving D don't grow on trees. I wouldn't be surprised if Broberg takes the #1 Left D spot from Ekholm by the end of next season. Ekholm can go lug around kulak or ceci.

Huh? That was a quite complimentary take on Broberg. Far more than some of the takes many around here were saying about Broberg at the same time

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

If Broberg takes away the 1LD spot from Ekholm next year it will be because Ek's play falls off a cliff or Bro establishes himself as a top 5-10 LD in the NHL. I could see him being Ek's eventual replacement, but not that soon.

Reactions: Macheteops

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
If Broberg takes away the 1LD spot from Ekholm next year it will be because Ek's play falls off a cliff or Bro establishes himself as a top 5-10 LD in the NHL. I could see him being Ek's eventual replacement, but not that soon.
His skill, size, and speed is there for him to become a top 5 D in the NHL. Anything less than a top pairing D in a top 10 pick is a bust, eg Nurse. Blowing a top ten pick sets the franchise back. Imagine if we had taken sergachev instead of puljuarvi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad