Player Discussion Philip Broberg - Berries are brewing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I dont see his development stalling at all. Not sure what you're seeing there.
A sheltered role is exactly what he should be getting in the playoffs. Rushing him would be a mistake.

He is growing as a player but not quite ready to replace Kulak who I dont think gets his due respect.
Agreed, this is a healthy slow cook situation that deep, smart organizations are able to foster. Broberg is slotted appropriately to gain NHL experience against NHL apex competition without being overwhelmed and confidence destroyed. He has to get physically stronger to defend and to speed up his decision making rate and confidence. Now with addition of Ekholm, there is an elite mentor to support this experiential growth need.

The Nurse suspension unfortunately exposed the deep water learning of a young pedigree but raw defenseman. I don't see anyway the Oil can move away from Kulak next season who is perfectly placed at 3D. Defense is the most difficult position to onboard and learn at the NHL level. Broberg has shown growth and learning this season. No sin to slow cook an important piece talent wise and cheap salary for this late phase organization.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Where do we find capspace for an established top 4 RHD though? Sure Ceci out, Yams out. That only covers Bouchard though. Where do we get another 6m of capspace? doubt Campbell can be moved.
Bouchard will be bridged, or has to be bridged. 4-6 millions is my bet. Yama out covers him. I hope not fogele goes. Cutting 2,7 millions is ridicolous.
Resignings of rest will be in the ball park of Mcleod 1,5-1,7, Kostin 1-1,25, Ryan 0,950, bjugstad 1,5, janmark (?) 1,25-1,3 =6,5-7 m. So Holland needs just 12 millions capspace.

A new is a TD thing, if Broberg hasnt grown out

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Bouchard will be bridged, or has to be bridged. 4-6 millions is my bet. Yama out covers him. I hope not fogele goes. Cutting 2,7 millions is ridicolous.
Resignings of rest will be in the ball park of Mcleod 1,5-1,7, Kostin 1-1,25, Ryan 0,950, bjugstad 1,5, janmark (?) 1,25-1,3 =6,5-7 m. So Holland needs just 12 millions capspace.

A new is a TD thing, if Broberg hasnt grown out
Even at 4 million for Bouchard there's not much room for anything else other than league minimum to ice a 20 man roster. And this is with Ryan gone, he could be player X. But I'd see him wanting a bit more, the same with Mcleod. Pretty much need two of Yamamoto, Foegele, Ceci, Kulak, or Campbell gone to make the Roster better, like you alluded too, But money is going to be extremely tight. Going to cost a lot more than moving just Yamamoto to cover 4-6 million for Bouchard, Bouchard (863K) and Yamamoto's (3.1) caphit last year combined was under 4 million, and you still have to back fill Yamamoto's roster spot which will cost atleast 750K... I see Bouchard getting 4.5 million plus, even more if its 2 years. ( also don't forget Neal's buyout and the $850K in bonus overages next year from Bouchard having a strong finish).
2023-png.697758

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The thing that immediately leaps out from that cap chart is how badly Darnell Nurse screwed this team. If you’re going to ask for $9.25, play better. Play a lot f***ing better.
It's amazing, after getting paid suddenly he forget how the f*** to pass and shoot the puck. I always felt that he'd be a hard working enough guy that he'd keep working on and growing his game, as of now I look to be wrong.

Reactions: harpoon

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's amazing, after getting paid suddenly he forget how the f*** to pass and shoot the puck. I always felt that he'd be a hard working enough guy that he'd keep working on and growing his game, as of now I look to be wrong.
The only thing that changed with Nurse before he received that stupid contract from Holland and after is his shooting percentage normalized.

I am still absolutely floored that Holland thought that was a good time to sign that contract. It made absolutely zero sense to negotiate with Nurse at that time. Literally every single thing was in Nurse's favour for a once in a life-time contract that didn't need to be signed for a full year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The only thing that changed with Nurse before he received that stupid contract from Holland and after is his shooting percentage normalized.

I am still absolutely floored that Holland thought that was a good time to sign that contract. It made absolutely zero sense to negotiate with Nurse at that time. Literally every single thing was in Nurse's favour for a once in a life-time contract that didn't need to be signed for a full year.
I disagree, he was a lot more confident offensively and him icing the puck wasn't the drinking game that it is now.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Even at 4 million for Bouchard there's not much room for anything else other than league minimum to ice a 20 man roster. And this is with Ryan gone, he could be player X. But I'd see him wanting a bit more, the same with Mcleod. Pretty much need two of Yamamoto, Foegele, Ceci, Kulak, or Campbell gone to make the Roster better, like you alluded too, But money is going to be extremely tight. Going to cost a lot more than moving just Yamamoto to cover 4-6 million for Bouchard, Bouchard (863K) and Yamamoto's (3.1) caphit last year combined was under 4 million, and you still have to back fill Yamamoto's roster spot which will cost atleast 750K... I see Bouchard getting 4.5 million plus, even more if its 2 years. ( also don't forget Neal's buyout and the $850K in bonus overages next year from Bouchard having a strong finish).
2023-png.697758
Yamamotos spot could be covered by Kostin/Bjugstad, who is covered on 4th line by Holloway.
In a perfect world, they move Campbell or Nurse. Fogele is not the.problem.

Reactions: MessierII

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The thing that immediately leaps out from that cap chart is how badly Darnell Nurse screwed this team. If you’re going to ask for $9.25, play better. Play a lot f***ing better.
Yeah. Its actually he that blocksbthis team.
Get rid of him, get a 4- 5 million LD, and use the rest for resigns.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I disagree, he was a lot more confident offensively and him icing the puck wasn't the drinking game that it is now.
You're welcome to disagree, but the stats don't lie.

He shot at just 4% over 350 career games before the 2020-2021 shortened season.

That jumped up to over 10% over 56 games in the COVID shortened season.

The last 2 seasons his numbers are back down to 5%.

It wasn't taking the next step. It wasn't playing with more confidence. It was a statistical anomaly. Everything else about him is the same. He plays a bucket load of minutes against other teams top players. Usually comes out ahead. And he's typically good for around 10th-20th in 5v5 production for d-men across the league.

The contract was an albatross the moment it was signed. He was never going to be able to live up it.

Yeah. Its actually he that blocksbthis team.
Get rid of him, get a 4- 5 million LD, and use the rest for resigns.

I'd love to see the $4-5M LHD that are available for trade who have proven they can play 23-25 minutes a night against other teams top players while coming out ahead and who can put up ~40 ES points in a season.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

It wasn't taking the next step. It wasn't playing with more confidence. It was a statistical anomaly. Everything else about him is the same. He plays a bucket load of minutes against other teams top players. Usually comes out ahead. And he's typically good for around 10th-20th in 5v5 production for d-men across the league.

The contract was an albatross the moment it was signed. He was never going to be able to live up it.

I'd love to see the $4-5M LHD that are available for trade who have proven they can play 23-25 minutes a night against other teams top players while coming out ahead and who can put up ~40 ES points in a season.
Doesnt need to put up points. Ekholm, Bouch can do that. Just be reliable.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Doesnt need to put up points. Ekholm, Bouch can do that. Just be reliable.

Fine, find a 25 minute a night d-man who can play against other teams best players and come out ahead that is available for $4-5M.

Oh and someone to take on Nurse's horrendous contract.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Fine, find a 25 minute a night d-man who can play against other teams best players and come out ahead that is available for $4-5M.

Oh and someone to take on Nurse's horrendous contract.
Or 6-7 millions if you are angry at me. Its doable. As you said yourswlf, Nurse horrendus contract.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Or 6-7 millions if you are angry at me. Its doable. As you said yourswlf, Nurse horrendus contract.
I'm not angry at you lol. I just don't see how its doable.

Nurse is worth ~7M as a d-man. He's overpaid. There is no doubt. But I find it very hard to imagine a scenario where you find a team that takes him on while also finding a d-man who can step in and replace what he does. Especially when you've still got a far bigger hole on the right side.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

He was a +27 that season in only 56 games as well. That was by far his best season to date IMO.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Nurse should not have gotten more than 7 million. he's just not the franchise d-man.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Yamamotos spot could be covered by Kostin/Bjugstad, who is covered on 4th line by Holloway.
In a perfect world, they move Campbell or Nurse. Fogele is not the.problem.
You completely missed my point….

Yamamoto gone = 3.1 million, back fill roster spot at atleast .750k is only 2.35 million of cap savings towards the at least 4 million to sign Bouchard. So another player has to go and that roster spot also needs to be filled…

To keep the band together, Yamamoto has to be moved along with one of Foegele or Kulak. I Choose Foegele as Kulak could be replaced by Broberg. But then the Oilers would have to either add another rookie or cheap contract to fill out the pairings. Yes, Ceci could be moved as well but that would have to be money in= money out. As well as find a top 4 RHD for that price, this is the challenge. Word was that he was battling an injury most of this year, and if healthy could return to being the reliable defender that he was his first season here.

Choose Malone and Nemo as their cheap and signed. I would like to see Lavoie get a look, but not as a forth liner/scratched more as an injury top nine fill in. Wouldn't mind Kemp getting a few games either.

An interesting wrinkle is if Ryan and Bjugstad are not brought back or another right shot forward brought in. Hyman will be the only right hand shot forward on the roster.

Untitled.png

Leaves a little over 700K of cap space, yes there is a lot of estimated contracts but they are reasonable. And 100K here or there will not make too much of a difference, random lines for 7-11 and 22 man roster below.

Kane-McDavid-Hyman
Nugent-Hopkins-Draisaitl-Bjugstad
Holloway-Mcleod-Kostin
Janmark-Ryan
Malone (Scratched)

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouchard
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg
Niemelainen (Scratched)

Skinner/Campbell

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Nothing about the Edmonton Oilers screams championship team so if it takes Broberg plus to even get one more competitive player into the system that can actually play two-way hockey against the elite teams then he should be traded.

Everyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl should be on the table. Trade Broberg but Bouchard is our big trading chip that could actually help correct the team roster in a meaningful way. But that's only part of it. We need a new system. We should be emulating Vegas. I don't care if you hate them. That team gets it.

Even if it isn't Steve Staios we need management reaching out and we need better pro scouting. We need better amature scouting so Bettman's teams stop getting all the good players year after decade. When do we get to draft good NHL players outside of our lottery picks? And even those lotto picks are 50/50.

Most of all we need a team identity and that starts with a new coach.

Trade McLeod. That kid is giving me nightmares. He represents the ineffectiveness of the Edmonton Oilers. Him, Ceci, Yamamoto and Broberg. The list goes on.

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
Nothing about the Edmonton Oilers screams championship team so if it takes Broberg plus to even get one more competitive player into the system that can actually play two-way hockey against the elite teams then he should be traded.

Everyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl should be on the table. Trade Broberg but Bouchard is our big trading chip that could actually help correct the team roster in a meaningful way. But that's only part of it. We need a new system. We should be emulating Vegas. I don't care if you hate them. That team gets it.

Even if it isn't Steve Staios we need management reaching out and we need better pro scouting. We need better amature scouting so Bettman's teams stop getting all the good players year after decade. When do we get to draft good NHL players outside of our lottery picks? And even those lotto picks are 50/50.

Most of all we need a team identity and that starts with a new coach.

Trade McLeod. That kid is giving me nightmares. He represents the ineffectiveness of the Edmonton Oilers. Him, Ceci, Yamamoto and Broberg. The list goes on.

While the Oilers didn't play good enough to win, a healthly Hyman, RNH, and Kane would have made the series a lot closer. I don't get this stance that the Oilers were dominated by the Knights, no one would have seen half the top six if not almost all of the top six going cold at even strength for the whole series. The bottom six provided goals at even strength, but the top six was disjointed offensively out side of the power play.

King's series 16 even strength goals
Knights series 9 even strength goals

Last edited:

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
2023-png.697758
Its become very clear that Hopkins is not a playoff player, that's a luxury no team can afford if they want to win it all.

• Haha
Reactions: TheNumber4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad