Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Guardians fight all the way back from a 6-2 deficit to tie it in the 8th only for Clase to blow it in the 9th against the bottom of the Yanks order.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Jesus Clase. An elite, best in the league closer with one of the handful of top seasons by a closer this Milennium just becoming unplayable in the post-season,

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Jesus Clase. An elite, best in the league closer with one of the handful of top seasons by a closer this Milennium just becoming unplayable in the post-season,

We saw it first hand with Hoffman. Relief pitching in the Playoffs is everything.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE

I don't really remember Fernandomania. I was alive, but didn't really pay much attention to pro sports at that time... I remember the Phillies adding him during the 1994 season and he was pitching for them when the strike happened.

Ai-yi-yi, Fernando-mania was YUGE back in 1981. The fact he was Mexican and that it was Los Angeles just ratcheted up the energy. ESPN was in its infancy, so it helped to have a story of a portly pitcher who had an unusual routine and delivery (always cast his eyes upwards) who just so happened to pitch lights-out, was a perfect storm for them to glom onto. 20-years old and gifted with an untouchable screwball. He was also a fantastic hitter. Won the Rookie of the Year and Cy Young in the same season. Started the All-Star Game, too. All the while he appeared humble and unassuming, like a kid brother who tags along when you and your friends would go down to the field to play some pickup games. In some ways, reminiscent of the mania Mark Fidrych inspired several years previous, but much bigger.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad