Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Not one thing in that thread is as bad as “We don’t want a bye.” Nothing approaches it. Even Harper doesn’t give you as much WS probability as skipping one series. It’s 10-30% Pennant Odds for free.

No, I’m never letting this go. It’s even more ridiculous than the future picks aren’t devalued by definition discussion and I really thought that was the bottom.
Is it more ridiculous than Boston Scott > CMC?

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
The Castellanos discussion is pretty easily summed up by saying "that money is better spent elsewhere". The pocketbooks run deep, but if you can replace that money than you have to. Dude just isn't worth the money

And by elsewhere I mean Juan Soto.

Last edited:

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah if I have to sacrifice Castellanos to sign Soto, that's obviously an extremely easy decision.
There's certainly lower budget teams that if the Phillies turned Castellanos into a 2/$25m would be interested. He's a little bit of a 'name' for their fans, veteran presence and that would be $12.5m they pay him the next two years so it's a short-term thing.

For the Phillies it saves them $12.5m the next two years and they eat $15m total.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Bringing in Alvarez in the 6th inning in a high leverage situation in an elimination game.... So nice Rob had to do it twice

1728650691751.png

You'd think Topper would learn from his mistakes, but he just keeps making these same mistakes. And we sit here wondering why the bullpen keeps imploding

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Bringing in Alvarez in the 6th inning in a high leverage situation in an elimination game.... So nice Rob had to do it twice

View attachment 915158

You'd think Topper would learn from his mistakes, but he just keeps making these same mistakes. And we sit here wondering why the bullpen keeps imploding
You're aware that these are 2 different pitchers right

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sigh

My kid woke me up at 4:30am today, so no i genuinely wasn't aware when posting

Yeah that was Estevez...but the bigger issue was going back to Hoffman after he sat for 20 minutes then letting him load the bases.

Topper is bad at this.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I get that we’re all frustrated and understandably so, but connecting pitches because they happened in the same number Inning is baseball astrology.

The Phillies’ 6th was sadly in periapsis. As a Taurus, of course the Manager should have asked to reschedule the game when he realized Jupiter was in Midheaven.

(My search results will never recover from this.)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Yeah that was Estevez...but the bigger issue was going back to Hoffman after he sat for 20 minutes then letting him load the bases.

Topper is bad at this.
I dont mind having him go out there, though the fact he didn't have anyone up as the inning started and then watched him implode is criminal. Not like it really mattered though. Just like in game 6 in Houston they were only scoring 1 run and that wouldn't be enough. It was a miracle they lead 1-0. Ranger walked a high wire act. The game changed after another dumb at bat by JT. It was over after that.

Alot of the quotes during are delusional. Like how resilient this team is resilient. No they fold when they are down. JT thought they would just flip a switch after being an average team for 3 months.

Reactions: Rebels57

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No they fold when they are down. JT thought they would just flip a switch after being an average team for 3 months.
Oh God I am so tired of that saying, and you are correct. They aren't resilient. When they hit their slumps, it takes an eon for them to get out of it. They admit they change nothing and just hope they will work themselves out of it, which over the last few years, burns a significant portion of the season, and doesn't prepare them at all for handling adversity in the postseason. As a manager you have to have an ability to pull levers to snap a team out of a funk, and you learn this over the course of a season. You have hitters try different approaches at the plate, you shake up the lineup, you pull pitchers as soon as you realize they don't have it. You don't let one bad outing snowball into a 2 or 3 month slump.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This Phillies group has never won a game when they faced elimination. They also blew a 2-1 series lead in the World Series and a 3-2 series lead in the NLCS with the last 2 losses at home. They are the furthest thing from resilient. They are mental midgets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad