Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Do you have any idea how far off the reservation you have to get for me to yell about dopey fan entitlement?

The teams in the city right now spend money and try to win. Go ask a f***ing Pirates fan what it’s like to build a winner from within and have it be known that they’re never paying to keep the team together. Some of us lived through Norman Braman and Harold Katz and Bill Giles completely destroying franchises. It’s why I say over and over again that we need to appreciate how important people like Lurie are to their teams’ success. The Eagles at one point were only successful because they hired a transformative defensive mind who also hardcapped himself by REFUSING TO THINK ABOUT THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL. The other teams being so inarguably incompetent is part of what created so damn many Flyers fans.

The Phillies went to a WS with Harper. The Eagles went to a SB with Owens. The Eagles were consistently a good team with Kelce and won a heap of playoff games. If Brady wins that SB in OT and it means you think they wasted Kelce, you’re no better than the guy calling into WIP asking for them to run Saquon from the I formation 25 times a game because it worked for Emmitt Smith.

Why the hell is everyone so afraid to just enjoy a season? The Sixers probably aren’t going to win the title. If you let that ruin your enjoyment of the season, it’s a you problem.
All I was trying to say is I hate the feeling of knowing your team is good enough to win and you don't. Or you have that dude who is good enough to win, and you don't. Being happy or grateful for the process and being frustrated by the results can both happen at the same time.

I now realize that wasting was the wrong word to use because it implies poor management of the team around the players I listed. I don't think that is the case here or with the sixers or with anyo of those other teams/players (well except the Flyers obviously lol). You probably remember me saying "this is the path to a championship" about the PG signing and the Nola re-signing/Hoskins situation. We always agree that all we ask for from management is identifiying a reasonable path to success then reasonably make decisions following that path. Pretty consistently, we have at least one team doing that in this city.

What I'm trying to say is the frustration of watching the players not execute knowing they're a plenty good enough unit to win this thing sometimes makes me say stupid emotional bullshit in the moment, and sometimes "the moment" extends for hours after the moment actually ends. That's the biggest me problem of all. Sorry to make you rant about dopes, believe it or not, I'm not actually one of them. I just hate watching my favorite players get so close then lose. That and the fact that when I go into work I actually have to interact with those dopes, so it keeps festering. Last night someone said to me Strahm is losing them this series.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
To this day we still think of the 2010 Phillies and say "man they deserved that one". To be clear, that's what I would be saying about this team if they don't get it done. Not "they wasted my time". It was just bad wording. Hell that WS playoff run will always be looked back on fondly. The Stott slam, the Hoskins bat slam, the Harper Homer, the JT extra inning game...that didn't waste shit. Fiance and I watched the extra innings game together like 1 week into living in the new house. We were still sleeping on her apartment bed in the guest room. That shit is a core memory. The Flyers back in 2010 were hardly a waste of time. I look back fondly on that run. I've never felt the way I felt when Gagne scored against the Bruins. Then they chased Carey Price in game 1 of the next series? I'll take that shit to my grave. Just hoping one of these teams with these moments or great regular seasons to put the cherry on top. I know it's hard to win titles.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Explain this word pls

20240922-124110.jpg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You know that feeling you get when you eat chicken nuggies or drink chocco milk? It's like that. Some people experience it when they watch their favorite sports team(s). You may experience it, some day. Then again, you may not.
Ohhhhhhhhhh damn. Hope to enjoy sports for the first time one day.
IS THAT A PIECE OF CHICKEN NUGGY THE LITTLE PUP IS EATING

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
That's how I felt watching AFL this year...first time watching...had no team to cheer for so i just enjoyed the sport for what it was...

Once you start supporting a team you get emotional and stupid lol

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I’m not holding my breath but the team is bipolar so maybe the hitters have a good day. If they are struggling, they have to get Quintana out through the pitch count. Maybe Ranger gives them 4 innings of zero or 1 run ball. A statement game by the bats would be beautiful

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Cristopher Sanchez is available for 30-35 pitches per Thomson. It would be his schedule side-day to throw between starts.

Apparently Wheeler is only available in an 'emergency' whatever the **** that means.

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I have no problem with them, but the answer to that is neither. My wife had dino nuggets that day and left a few pieces for me to give the dogs with dinner. They were...excited.
Fiance saw boo-nuggies at Wegmans and was very excited to show me yesterday when I work up. Dino nugs but bats and ghosts etc

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad