Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I will say that Castellanos was either the best or second best Phillies hitter in the series but he’s the most emblematic of the Phillies’ hitting the past few postseasons. If he’s hitting, great, and he’s had some big hits for the team. But when he isn’t hitting it’s ugly. And it’s not just the results that are ugly. It’s quick outs or chasing junk out of the zone. The team needs a better approach at the plate, especially in the bottom of the order. It doesn’t need to be sexy to be effective. I think the core is fine. Most series come down to a few PA’s. The Phillies hitters weren’t able to get it done in key spots for the most part. The Mets basically came through every time in the late innings. A couple of our relievers get the job done, and a few of our batters come through it’s probably a different series. I find it hard to believe the bullpen will be that ineffective again. It a high stress position in the playoffs and they weren’t put in good positions because of Thompson. The bats weren’t doing anything so I’m sure the bullpen felt there was no room for error and were pitching extra tight. This off-season I’d mostly focus on the margins in the bottom of the lineup and come back with a different manager

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Castellanos had a 34 wRC+ in the 2022 WS run, and his 1/24 performance against Arizona likely cost them another appearance. Falling in love with game 2 of the NLDS is Flyers-type shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad