Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
View attachment 911194

*NLWC

giphy.gif
I give you only partial credit, because your assumption was that he would actually play in the playoffs.

Without him, I don't think they advance past the NLWC. That said, if they do, then your prophecy is back on the table!

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The email and written notification should both include a copy of the quote. It's about to get weird for someone. Might as well make it not you.
Absolutely. If the guy that signed me to that two year deal is the one talking shit on me, I'm absolutely taking his money just to piss him off. Between this guy and the Bruins, these owners/GM's are certainly putting themselves in some interesting positions

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sucks for Montgomery though. You’re in rough spot having to decide if you just go all out for the money because you’re probably not seeing a payout like that elsewhere if you decline the option. But on the other hand if you accept it you’re in a place where you’re clearly not wanted.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Just read this article by max molski. By compiling this list and publicly sharing it with the world, I have moved Max to the top of my least informed baseball writers list. Mike Trout 20th best hitter in mlb history? No Tony Gwynn? Barry bonds #2? Pete Rose 16th? This guy should be forced to state clearly somewhere in the article that this is not an official ranking and that it’s just his stupid opinion.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Just read this article by max molski. By compiling this list and publicly sharing it with the world, I have moved Max to the top of my least informed baseball writers list. Mike Trout 20th best hitter in mlb history? No Tony Gwynn? Barry bonds #2? Pete Rose 16th? This guy should be forced to state clearly somewhere in the article that this is not an official ranking and that it’s just his stupid opinion.

Barry Bonds is #1, but other than that it depends on your definition of hitter

I personally am a believer that slugging makes you a more effective and therefore better hitter than someone who only hits singles, like Gwynn.

Would you rather have the guy with 40 homers who hits .330 or the guy with 1 homer that hits .380? I sure am picking picking door #1

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Hank Aaron and Ted Williams are the two greatest hitters of all time in my opinion. For me it’s eye and contact. OBP and strikeouts. how players approach hitting continuously evolves but the ability to put the ball in play will always get good results. .380, .330? You were a fan before advanced stats changed the game, .330 leads the league in average these days. The amount of players who are hitting below the Mendoza line yet are productive hitters amazes me.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Barry Bonds is #1, but other than that it depends on your definition of hitter

Ruth/Bonds tier. Both orders are fine. The best offensive seasons in history are basically an even split between '20-23 Ruth and '01-04 Bonds.

Then Williams has to be near or at the top of T2. That's the 3rd best peak and the 2nd most consistently elite after Ruth.

But there are two elephants in the room. One is Josh Gibson, which I know won't surprise you. What might is that he's now the career Major League leader in wRC+. Williams is 3rd at 187. Ruth is way up at 194. And then there's Gibson at a completely absurd 202. He's also the career leader in wOBA. But the sample size is only about a quarter of Williams and Ruth. Then the one that never gets mentioned in these things is Oscar Charleston. He's 4th in wRC+ at 181, well clear of everyone not mentioned yet. I don't think he was a Tier 1 contender, but if you're a peak voter, he should probably be on T2 or at least T3.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Ruth/Bonds tier. Both orders are fine. The best offensive seasons in history are basically an even split between '20-23 Ruth and '01-04 Bonds.

Then Williams has to be near or at the top of T2. That's the 3rd best peak and the 2nd most consistently elite after Ruth.

But there are two elephants in the room. One is Josh Gibson, which I know won't surprise you. What might is that he's now the career Major League leader in wRC+. Williams is 3rd at 187. Ruth is way up at 194. And then there's Gibson at a completely absurd 202. He's also the career leader in wOBA. But the sample size is only about a quarter of Williams and Ruth. Then the one that never gets mentioned in these things is Oscar Charleston. He's 4th in wRC+ at 181, well clear of everyone not mentioned yet. I don't think he was a Tier 1 contender, but if you're a peak voter, he should probably be on T2 or at least T3.
That's about where I am. Gun to my head, the edge goes to Bonds simply because the pitching is more consistently better during his time. If you or anyone else wants to say Ruth, you won't hear one peep from me. That's why I think tiers are important. I know you agree here.

Gibson is so fascinating. Sample size and quality of competition play a big factor for me in evaluating the nuances of his all time tier. Very obviously, this is not me questioning if he's an all time bat. I know you know this, but I thought it needed to be said for posterity. Personally, I place him firmly in tier 2, mainly because when the next tiers start taking shape, you realize that's where he settles.

I personally think Miguel Cabrera deserves solid tier 3 recognition. We're talking a decade long+ peak with back to back MVPs and a triple crown here. For 13 seasons in a row his OPS+ was over 130 and in 10 of those seasons it was over 150. His wRC+ in those seasons fell below 140 one time, and he had a 5-in-6 season stretch where he maintained above 160. I'm not sure the average fan realizes how incredible he really was on a historical scale. Pujols gets all the love from that era. Not to say he doesn't deserve it either, but I'm tempted to drop him a tier below Miggy (I think more appropriately have him at the bottom of tier 3) because of his extended hall-of-very-good post prime. Injuries play a part there obviously.

Come back in 5 seasons and we'll talk about Judge being in tier 1. Have you seen his wRC+ his season? Here's a hint, it's between 217 and 219. That ties Ruth's 3rd best season. If he doesn't get hurt last year we're looking at 3 seasons in a row with wRC+ of 200+

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad