Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 (2024 Edition)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Once again, never did I say their best arms weren't class of the NL. Their best is fantastic.

I did say Kerkering was a wild card in the reliability department. Him turning into what we hoped on a consistent basis is just huge. But never was I banging the drum for a huge splash. Just someone to use other than those guys, because as we've seen....if it's not one of the big 5, then it's a disaster
Fair enough, though if they have to more than 6 pitchers in a playoff it probably didnt go well. Unless it is a 12+ inning game or so. To me the goal should be to find a pitcher better than Soto and is dependable, which shouldnt be difficult to do. That would give them 6 quality arms. The offense scored 2 runs today, not going to win many games that way.

Reactions: Rebels57

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean it was a Taijuan Walker start. I'm impressed we were only down 1 going into the bottom of the 8th. When we brought in Ruiz I knew we were just looking to preserve the key arms today and the win or loss was somewhat inconsequential.

Shame it happened for my first game in 15 years and my kids left bummed we lost, but all in all a fun time. Get Trea back and the lineup should start clicking again. Casty sucks, though.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Fair enough, though if they have to more than 6 pitchers in a playoff it probably didnt go well. Unless it is a 12+ inning game or so. To me the goal should be to find a pitcher better than Soto and is dependable, which shouldnt be difficult to do. That would give them 6 quality arms. The offense scored 2 runs today, not going to win many games that way.
Yup, that's about where I am. My approach has always been pitching will be more consistent than hitting, and I'd like to see the one aspect that you can control more than the other as sure as it can be. It just puts you in the best position to win on a night to night basis.

That being said, 2 runs obviously won't get it done most nights. Same thing as last playoffs, the bats went cold. I get it. No arguments from me. It's not a black and white thing, but it never hurts to shore up pitching

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Yup, that's about where I am. My approach has always been pitching will be more consistent than hitting, and I'd like to see the one aspect that you can control more than the other as sure as it can be. It just puts you in the best position to win on a night to night basis.

That being said, 2 runs obviously won't get it done most nights. Same thing as last playoffs, the bats went cold. I get it. No arguments from me. It's not a black and white thing, but it never hurts to shore up pitching
One way to make sure the hitting doesn't go cold is to definitely bat Casty 2nd

Lol

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
2 pitches 2 outs at one point today
Last night's AB against Kimbrel was a joke. Kimbrel pitch-clock violated and he went up 1-0 and then immediately swung and grounded out the first pitch actually thrown to him. Hell the entire approach the team had to Kimbrel last night was ridiculous for players who WATCHED HIM and saw how often he struggled with command and the pitch clock and if guys got on base.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Last night's AB against Kimbrel was a joke. Kimbrel pitch-clock violated and he went up 1-0 and then immediately swung and grounded out the first pitch actually thrown to him. Hell the entire approach the team had to Kimbrel last night was ridiculous for players who WATCHED HIM and saw how often he struggled with command and the pitch clock and if guys got on base.
Guys like Casty/Baez/etc don't have an approach. They play real baseball like MLB the Show. It's crazy

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
They’re rumored to have interest in Tanner Scott, who seems to have settled in after a fairly wild start to the season. Was one of the best relievers in the league last year. I think it’d be a mistake to go after anyone who’d be much more costly to acquire than Scott.

They have some breathing room to be patient. I’m interested in seeing if Lazar can stick. Maybe Soto and Dominguez can take another step. Done waiting for Castellanos to show up, though. He needs to be sitting more often. Maybe he can focus more in a smaller role. They need a better RF if they want to keep rolling with Rojas

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
They need a tier 1 arm. The guys they have should be filling in the "soto" role. Get the high end closer and everyone slots correctly.
The Phils have 4, sometimes 5 high end relievers (i.e. "closers") on their team right now. In the playoffs, a "high end closer" is often used in the 7th or 8th. If the situation requires a door slam, your best pitcher should be going in. The Phils are lucky enough to have multiple guys like that. They shouldn't be pigeonholing anyone, that only hurts your team in crunch time.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
The Phils have 4, sometimes 5 high end relievers (i.e. "closers") on their team right now. In the playoffs, a "high end closer" is often used in the 7th or 8th. If the situation requires a door slam, your best pitcher should be going in. The Phils are lucky enough to have multiple guys like that. They shouldn't be pigeonholing anyone, that only hurts your team in crunch time.
Idk man...theres just something different about the 9th inning. There shouldnt be but there is. Even if you face the bottem of the order...a walk and a bloop hit and then you are stuck facing the top of the order with 2 runners on. Certain guys just handle those bigger spots better than others...hence why they get paid ridiculous money.

Id just feel a lot better adding a guy that can just close out games with no drama. Alvarado and Siranthony are too meldown prone and hoffman/kirkring both havent really been tested in that role.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Casty now 0-10 in the series. Thats about what I would expect to happen in a World Series matchup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gee, I dont know Zack & Stubbs. Maybe stop throwing fastballs right down the f***ing middle of the plate against their best hitters?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad