Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: The Road To .500 Continues Into Red October (2024 Edition)

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Won’t be able to watch the game which may be for the best. All I ask is that if they lose, the bats show up. If Ranger and the bullpen shit the bed so be it

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Praying for a miracle win today. If they can win today, I very much lime their chances in game 5 with at home with a well rested Wheeler on the mound.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Do you have any idea how far off the reservation you have to get for me to yell about dopey fan entitlement?

The teams in the city right now spend money and try to win. Go ask a f***ing Pirates fan what it’s like to build a winner from within and have it be known that they’re never paying to keep the team together. Some of us lived through Norman Braman and Harold Katz and Bill Giles completely destroying franchises. It’s why I say over and over again that we need to appreciate how important people like Lurie are to their teams’ success. The Eagles at one point were only successful because they hired a transformative defensive mind who also hardcapped himself by REFUSING TO THINK ABOUT THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL. The other teams being so inarguably incompetent is part of what created so damn many Flyers fans.

The Phillies went to a WS with Harper. The Eagles went to a SB with Owens. The Eagles were consistently a good team with Kelce and won a heap of playoff games. If Brady wins that SB in OT and it means you think they wasted Kelce, you’re no better than the guy calling into WIP asking for them to run Saquon from the I formation 25 times a game because it worked for Emmitt Smith.

Why the hell is everyone so afraid to just enjoy a season? The Sixers probably aren’t going to win the title. If you let that ruin your enjoyment of the season, it’s a you problem.

Eh, it all depends on the balance between expectations and outcomes—perspective, more or less.

We're all Flyers fans, so we're all quite familiar with a team that spent money and tried for a really long time with no payoff. It's frustrating. And it's even moreso when the team cruises through the regular season and then gets squished quickly or fecklessly in the playoffs. If it ends with the Sabres skating 8-0 around your corpse in a first round elimination game (not saying that will come to pass for the Phillies), that sullies the memory of the season because it really feels like you wasted a lot of time and energy getting excited while watching all those regular season wins. They wasted your time, they wasted the talent, whatever. Waste.

But you are right on the other front. I'm a Pirates fan, but I only adopted baseball ~15 years ago so I don't have the lifelong pain of being one. A lot of my friends have, and it's sort of like they're in a long disassociation. I knew a girl in college who swore she'd get a tattoo of the number "82" whenever the Pirates won their 82nd game of a season, because it would be the first time in her life that the Pirates had a winning season. They lost in the 2013 NLDS, but that was probably a more enjoyable year for her than any SC, SB, or WS loss to an equivalently-aged Philly fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Wheeler feels like he can start tonight, they need to go to Wheeler. Have Ranger ready in case Wheels doesn't look sharp.

Sanchez can handle Game 5 at home on 4 days rest.

Reactions: BiggE

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Eh, it all depends on the balance between expectations and outcomes—perspective, more or less.

We're all Flyers fans, so we're all quite familiar with a team that spent money and tried for a really long time with no payoff. It's frustrating. And it's even moreso when the team cruises through the regular season and then gets squished quickly or fecklessly in the playoffs. If it ends with the Sabres skating 8-0 around your corpse in a first round elimination game (not saying that will come to pass for the Phillies), that sullies the memory of the season because it really feels like you wasted a lot of time and energy getting excited while watching all those regular season wins. They wasted your time, they wasted the talent, whatever. Waste.

But you are right on the other front. I'm a Pirates fan, but I only adopted baseball ~15 years ago so I don't have the lifelong pain of being one. A lot of my friends have, and it's sort of like they're in a long disassociation. I knew a girl in college who swore she'd get a tattoo of the number "82" whenever the Pirates won their 82nd game of a season, because it would be the first time in her life that the Pirates had a winning season. They lost in the 2013 NLDS, but that was probably a more enjoyable year for her than any SC, SB, or WS loss to an equivalently-aged Philly fan.

The day of elimination is one thing. Let me be clear on that. Gameday discussions are by their very nature charged with emotions.

But to me, that feeling of waste going away as you get a little distance is exactly what defines growing out of the pure fandom stage and into sports adulthood. I may have a more negative connotation with the 2000-01 Flyers because of the way it ended, but when we start crossing over into focusing on wasting your time, it's flat out unhealthy and you should get away. It is supposed to be fun. If it's not, it's time to make some decisions. I never imagined I would go an entire season watching 1 Flyers game, but that's where they've been.

The Phillies won the 6th most games in the history of a franchise that's been around since 1883. They won the 2nd most games in all of MLB. If that's a waste of your time and a star's talent because they lost a Best of 5, you will never be happy and you have no one to blame but yourself.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Do you have any idea how far off the reservation you have to get for me to yell about dopey fan entitlement?

The teams in the city right now spend money and try to win. Go ask a f***ing Pirates fan what it’s like to build a winner from within and have it be known that they’re never paying to keep the team together. Some of us lived through Norman Braman and Harold Katz and Bill Giles completely destroying franchises. It’s why I say over and over again that we need to appreciate how important people like Lurie are to their teams’ success. The Eagles at one point were only successful because they hired a transformative defensive mind who also hardcapped himself by REFUSING TO THINK ABOUT THE OFFENSIVE SIDE OF THE BALL. The other teams being so inarguably incompetent is part of what created so damn many Flyers fans.

The Phillies went to a WS with Harper. The Eagles went to a SB with Owens. The Eagles were consistently a good team with Kelce and won a heap of playoff games. If Brady wins that SB in OT and it means you think they wasted Kelce, you’re no better than the guy calling into WIP asking for them to run Saquon from the I formation 25 times a game because it worked for Emmitt Smith.

Why the hell is everyone so afraid to just enjoy a season? The Sixers probably aren’t going to win the title. If you let that ruin your enjoyment of the season, it’s a you problem.
Keep that same energy with UGA, lol. But that's roughly the same argument that I have with Georgia fans, especially since coming out of the Alabama loss. I had to remind them that Georgia's last regular season loss was when restaurants were still only allowing 25% capacity due to Covid.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
Keep that same energy with UGA, lol. But that's roughly the same argument that I have with Georgia fans, especially since coming out of the Alabama loss. I had to remind them that Georgia's last regular season loss was when restaurants were still only allowing 25% capacity due to Covid.

This is of course completely correct. I'm happy with a lot less than a natty.

But Monken got to 4 verts from 22 on Sunday and you couldn't make me stop missing him with a brick. My Eagles Monken/Leonhard dream is on track. (Let me have this delusion.)

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Ranger has one more year of control left, who knows if he they will resign him. If they don't think they can or fail to, I would look to move him potentially (selling a bit low) though this team needs a shake up regardless. Was evident after last season.

Reactions: Rebels57

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
First off... Definitely was in a bad mood while watching that garbage of a game yesterday, but man that announce crew is just rough. I don't even know who the lead announcer is (nor care enough to look it up apparently), but the guy does not seem like a 'baseball guy'

He spits out facts, schools, whatever about players like you get from other sports, but generally not much about baseball. He also doesn't really seem to know the rules that well. He thought Bohm didn't get a hit when he got thrown out trying to get a double.

That's a hit. It's a single and out advancing for second.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
First off... Definitely was in a bad mood while watching that garbage of a game yesterday, but man that announce crew is just rough. I don't even know who the lead announcer is (nor care enough to look it up apparently), but the guy does not seem like a 'baseball guy'

He spits out facts, schools, whatever about players like you get from other sports, but generally not much about baseball. He also doesn't really seem to know the rules that well. He thought Bohm didn't get a hit when he got thrown out trying to get a double.

That's a hit. It's a single and out advancing for second.

After that Bohm play, he also got about three sentences deep into Marte's superlatives before finding out it was actually Taylor who made the throw. They don't look anything alike and it was clear from the sequence that the CF fielded it, so I don't know how he mixed that up other than not knowing what anyone in the MLB looks like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad