Other Sports: Philadelphia Phillies: Red October (2024 Edition)

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Just play a young guy
play a young guy or a rotation of young guys (cause they can be recalled and optioned back down) till the trade deadline. If no one of those players show they can play right now, you can trade for some vet on trade deadline!

GMs seem to love Merrifield. Maybe if he doesn’t decline any further or find a regular spot on the team, the Phillies could flip him early? I’m probably coping too hard.
can it be a locker room thingy? Baseball seems to be high on culture and locker room things. A bit like in hockey! Maybe they get Merri for the same reasons Fisto need to play in the playoffs ;D

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
The Garrett Stubbs game ?!?!
OK I DID SEE THAT WHILE MAKING EGGS and I should have realized. I even was like...uhhh ok

I mean I guess it was a big homer in the scheme of the actual game so it didn't seem too out of place. But yeah

At least we have 2 hit Whit to push us to a championship this year. Maybe they can wear overalls together

Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

So the Phillies offered the most money on Yamamoto. Neat. I would expect this laid the groundwork most were hoping.
Good try I guess. It's so annoying how so many of these postings are just auto-West coasters.

Does it say anything about him trying to sign anyone for the f***ing bullpen?

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Chinatown88

357 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe

So the Phillies offered the most money on Yamamoto. Neat. I would expect this laid the groundwork most were hoping.
How dare he not create a Little Tokyo outside of Philly. I expected him to spend more money.

Really not surprised. I think he was always gonna be a package deal with Ohtani.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
How dare he not create a Little Tokyo outside of Philly. I expected him to spend more money.

Really not surprised. I think he was always gonna be a package deal with Ohtani.

If I was writing up the proposal, it would have included a ridiculous check to Naomichi Yasuda to get him to come to Philly too. I’m just saying.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Pretty much. Had basically no hope in acquiring either one (especially Yamamoto)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I believe that you're confident. I'm not sure I believe that you're scoping the impact of exceeding the next threshold well.

If they're going to do that, it can't be for spare parts like this. This is the tier that has teeth.
I wasn't trying to say they are planning on going over the next threshold or that I think they will (or that they won't), only that this signing doesn't change whatever their plans were. It's not like they had an offer out to Snell or someone like that and now they have to retract it because they signed Merrifield. I mean it sure sounds like they were ok with going over with that offer to Yammamoto. If they were in on somebody before this signing, chances are they still are.

I like the signing. Merrifield is a reliable utility guy in the field and at the plate. He isn't bring brought in to be a starter. He is being brought in to be an injury fill-in and to spell guys and pinch hit. Even at $8 million, you need guys like this. "Spare parts" guys are critical to the success of the team in the regular season as well as postseason.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008
I wasn't trying to say they are planning on going over the next threshold or that I think they will (or that they won't), only that this signing doesn't change whatever their plans were. It's not like they had an offer out to Snell or someone like that and now they have to retract it because they signed Merrifield. I mean it sure sounds like they were ok with going over with that offer to Yammamoto. If they were in on somebody before this signing, chances are they still are.

I like the signing. Merrifield is a reliable utility guy in the field and at the plate. He isn't bring brought in to be a starter. He is being brought in to be an injury fill-in and to spell guys and pinch hit. Even at $8 million, you need guys like this. "Spare parts" guys are critical to the success of the team in the regular season as well as postseason.

I get what you mean. The disconnect here is that I’m talking about it limiting you in-season with respect to going over that threshold. We all agree that what they did here doesn’t swing what they offered Yamamoto or Snell. It probably will (and should) be a limiting factor with lesser moves. So the discussion ultimately comes down to how you weigh him up versus adding something like another solid but unspectacular Reliever and a cheaper bench guy.

The other part here is what they think they’re adding. I don’t know what reliable at the plate means to you specifically, but he’s fallen off of a cliff at the plate in the last 3-4 years. I would still call it passable on a bench level, which is fine if you’re playing high value defensive positions. This feels like a good time to point out that he played 81 Games in LF last year. I’m certainly not looking to pay for it if he’s going to play away from CF/2B. If the framing is a pure OF bench guy who can maybe fill in at 2B in rare spot duty, sure that’s a perfectly cromulent use of a roster spot and Merrifield as a player. The original framing around the reporting was a Super Utility guy. I think/hope they’re not that incompetent.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I get what you mean. The disconnect here is that I’m talking about it limiting you in-season with respect to going over that threshold. We all agree that what they did here doesn’t swing what they offered Yamamoto or Snell. It probably will (and should) be a limiting factor with lesser moves. So the discussion ultimately comes down to how you weigh him up versus adding something like another solid but unspectacular Reliever and a cheaper bench guy.

The other part here is what they think they’re adding. I don’t know what reliable at the plate means to you specifically, but he’s fallen off of a cliff at the plate in the last 3-4 years. I would still call it passable on a bench level, which is fine if you’re playing high value defensive positions. This feels like a good time to point out that he played 81 Games in LF last year. I’m certainly not looking to pay for it if he’s going to play away from CF/2B. If the framing is a pure OF bench guy who can maybe fill in at 2B in rare spot duty, sure that’s a perfectly cromulent use of a roster spot and Merrifield as a player. The original framing around the reporting was a Super Utility guy. I think/hope they’re not that incompetent.
Yeah I mean I still don't think it has an impact on future signings, Snell/Yammamoto or otherwise. He'll be a fine utility guy and I think it will be the "super-utility" guy they think hebis. That doesn't mean he's gonna be playing like an all-star at all different positions and raking at the plate. Reliable is the operative word. Reliable doesn't mean superstar. It means someone you can run out there and not just mark it down as an automatic out or shaky fielding and errors galore. We didn't have that last year. Pache and Cave were good in the field and Pache can run (I assume Cave is sticking around and Pache probably is odd-man out since he's a righty). I'd take Merrifield over Sosa as an infield utility guy which I assume is the ultimate result.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Actually fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad